Capstone Scholars Day

<p>OP here - @Lattelady - Thanks for your response. The message your daughter received is exactly why we as parents feel it is important for DS to attend. He is not completely sold yet. I think feeling wanted AND meeting peers could be a big sell.</p>

<p>@M2CK - Thanks for alerting me that UFE would possibly pay for some of the travel expenses. DS e-mailed and confirmed hotel & basic meals are covered for those who are interviewed.</p>

<p>For those asking how DS got invite; DS did submit deposit and has been accepted into Honors.</p>

<p>@upstate - If your already sold on Bama, then I don’t think the Honors tour is required. My DS is a LAC kid.
Visiting the Honors and meeting Dr. Sharpe in the summer was enough to convince him that he would not be lost in the machine of a large university with red tape. We are in Penn State country, we know plenty of horror stories of red tape, classes over enrolled to the point that you must take on-line since no seating and off campus housing crunch. Until Bama, we thought all large universities were like Penn State.</p>

<p>[Capstone</a> Scholars Day - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/]Capstone”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/)</p>

<p>CAPSTONE SCHOLARS DAY
Capstone Scholars Day is an invitation only event. The event will be held on Saturday, January 19, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Bryant Conference Center.
In order to receive an invitation, a student has to be admitted for Fall 2013 as an incoming freshman with typically a 29 ACT or SAT 1290 (math and verbal scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA by the scholarship deadline of December 1, 2012. You do not have to attend Capstone Scholars Day in order to receive a scholarship nor would you receive any additional scholarships during this event.
Additional information about the event:
:black_small_square: Due to space limitations, only one parent or guardian may attend Capstone Scholars Day events.
:black_small_square: Plan to be on campus from 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. and lunch will be provided.
:black_small_square: Students, you will be doing lots of walking. We suggest that you wear casual clothing, comfortable walking shoes, and a coat or jacket. Depending on the forecast, an umbrella or raincoat may come in handy.
:black_small_square: Tentative agenda will be coming soon.
:black_small_square: View map and driving directions to The University of Alabama
For lodging reservations and information, contact Tuscaloosa hotels and motels directly. Rates vary depending on season, taxes, additional room options, number of occupants, etc.
If you or your guest will require special accommodations because of a disability, please call us at (205) 348-8201 or 1-800-933-BAMA (toll-free), or TDD (205) 348-2921. You may also contact us via this web form.</p>

<p>There is often another similar event in February on a smaller scale. It isn’t called Capstone Scholars Day, but it is through the HC.</p>

<p>I hesitate to bring this up because I don’t know the ins-and-outs of it, but last year D was also invited to a smaller scholars event. I think it was call Top Scholars (or something like that). I do not know how they made decisions on who to invite. I think it was at the beginning of March. We had already made all of our travel arrangements for our Feb trip (which was during a school break) and after talking to the HC about it decided to stick with the previously planned Feb visit. </p>

<p>I do bring this up because I could see where it might have been even better to attend than the CSD. It seemed to have smaller numbers and would be more personal. I have no idea if the HC will be doing it again, but it might be worth asking about if you are unable to attend CSD.</p>

<p>Can someone tell me where on FB their kids who have been accepted into the Honors program are meeting?</p>

<p>My son has all the qualifications that this says you need to get an invitation, but he hasn’t received one. Is that a bad sign? Not sure we would go since that is inauguration weekend, but if we could get flights that would get us back in time, we might.</p>

<p>tjmom: I am not sure if everyone that qualifies gets an invitation. That was mentioned in last year’s thread on CSD.</p>

<p>Just write to the Honors College and ask for an invite. [Capstone</a> Scholars Day - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/]Capstone”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/csd/)</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>tjmom - It could also be a US Postal issue. We just received the invite this week in the mail. Usually college mail is trashed in our house as it has become overwhelming. I wouldn’t read too much into not receiving an invite. If you want to go, the link on the website has a “Contact Us” link to get onto the list.</p>

<p>I do know what you mean by overwhelming- and to make it worse, now Auburn and U of Arizona are sending my son mail AT SCHOOL! His guidance counselor is not amused by this- as she put it, “I am not your mail person”.</p>

<p>I am planning on attending Capstone Scholars Day, and it will be my first time visiting UA. Would it be wise/important to schedule a tour or try to sit in on a class/plan anything else the day before, or would this event suffice as far as visiting goes? I’m not sure exactly what happens at the event, and I want to get as much out of the trip as I can (I’m an oos and plane tickets aren’t cheap!)</p>

<p>sorry-questions already answered. misposted</p>

<p>My dd also got an invitation but has not applied to honors but received the Presidential Scholarship. She also is not able to attend because of a very big hs swim meet. I hope you are all right about it not affecting her chance at the two selective programs.</p>

<p>Getting ready to make hotel reservations for Capstone Scholars and noticed that Monday is MLK Day.</p>

<p>Does UA have classes on MLK??? </p>

<p>DD’s school does not, so thought might be good opportnity to stay through Sunday and drive home on Monday.</p>

<p>If others are interested, maybe we could have a CC meetup sometime that weekend so our students can meet. I’m sure the incoming freshmen would love to meet some of the older kids too.</p>

<p>there will not be classes on MLK day. make sure you take the opportunity to visit RCS after the capstone scholars day events. they’ll show you around and take you inside one of the model rooms.</p>