Capstone Scholars Day

<p>Hi! I was wondering if any of you had previously been to a Capstone Scholars Day. What was the itinerary? I know I want to visit campus again. I live about 3 hours away, so it is not that big of a deal to get to campus. Is it worth going to Capstone Scholars Day, or should I just plan a personalized tour?</p>

<p>We attended 2 years ago when DD was a senior. She got off the plan saying no-way-was-she-going-to-school-in-Alabama (despite or perhaps because mom & dad went there!) That weekend was an eye-opener and Alabama was then the school she compared all others to and found those lacking. (She now considers Tuscaloosa home and “visits” us twice a year.)</p>

<p>We saw a suite in Ridgecrest, walked the campus, she ate lunch at the Ferg with other students from across the US, and we learned more about the Honors College and its activities. It was busy, so very little personal one-on-one time, but we were not expecting it either.</p>

<p>I would say you can learn a lot from this forum and a visit then might be redundant, but since you live so close, why not go? It is nice to hear about the programs and perks, and it is really nice to feel wanted by the university.</p>

<p>Have you had a personalized tour yet? If not, then contact the Honors College and have one set up.</p>

<p>There isn’t really much personalized info at Capstone Honors Day.</p>

<p>M2CK, do you think it is better to do a second individual visit than to attend Capstone Scholars Day? We already visited once in April, but would like a second look. I was thinking Capstone Scholars Day would be a good opportunity for DS to meet some potential roommates. </p>

<p>Coming from California, it is not an easy or inexpensive trip for us, so I’d like to feel that the visit was worthwhile…</p>

<p>I was wondering the same as westcoastmom. We are 9 hours drive away, visited last March. I was also wondering about the CBHP and UFE weekends. If he’s invited to one info those, I’m thinking Capstone Scholars Weekend probably would not be necessary.</p>

<p>To me, Capstone Honors Day isn’t necessary if you’ve decided to come to Bama, nor would it be good if you want personal info about your major. It’s almost like a mini-Bama-Bound with large group presentations. </p>

<p>For those who are attending CSDay as their only visit, they need to know that there aren’t traditional tours that day. There is a walk across the Quad, but that just covers a small portion of the school.</p>

<p>I think I will just set up a personalized tour. I want to speak with someone from the Honors college, Blount Initiative, and someone from the Communicative Disorders department. I may also try to stop by the Study Abroad office and see some dorms. Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Contact Allison and Susan in the HC, tell them what/who you want to see, and they’ll set it all up.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>So what I’m hearing is that if you have already done the Campus tour and been to E-Day that going to Capstone Scholars Day may not be necessary?? Better to set up on-on-one with Honors College? My S did not attend when invited but my husband thought it would be beneficial for my D to see how well they treat their Honors College kids.</p>

<p>So sorry if this post is redundant and I appreciate the information colobamamom and mom2. We have not been to the campus yet and were planning to attend the Capstone Scholars day but I also saw the post about the Honors Preview day and was wondering if there was any difference between the two programs. I have not even heard that there is an honors preview day scheduled for next semester but was wondering if there was a difference and if either would be better to attend. Like westcoastmomof2 we would like to make our visit when they are having one of these programs so maybe S can meet some of the kids who will be attending in the fall. S will be starting next fall and has been accepted to honors. We are in NY so too far to make multiple trips. We are planning to arrive on a Thursday night to have Friday to arrange to meet with department, arrange for a campus tour and get a feel for the campus during the week. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!</p>

<p>We did attend Capstone Day, our only visit before CBH interviews, and enjoyed it. Sold us on the school, especially attending mass at St. Francis the next day. Since it’s on the weekend, it doesn’t require missing school. On our weekend, it was the Championship celebration day, so tours were hard to get, but we did wind up getting one. If there is not a championship celebration that day, there probably would be a tour. If your student will be in honors, I think it’s a good thing to go to. We met a lot of nearby families, from Atlanta and Alabama, and lots of parents of engineering majors, so it was a great event for us. Hope you get to go!</p>

<p>We are trying to decide if D2 should attend. We did a personalized tour in late September, but I would like for D to meet other honors students, especially any potential roommates :slight_smile: Our issue with the date is that she will have to be excused from a band commitment.</p>

<p>I remember going to Capstone Honors Day (it was our second visit to the UA campus). Personally, I liked the group meetings and met many wonderful perspective students and their parents that day. The vibe was very upbeat and it was easy to feel the school spirit and pride which has proven to be the very real nature of Bama. Regarding info…you will probably find more here in this forum, but for connections and first hand experiences, I liked being on campus for these type of events. If traveling to the event is difficult, I don’t think it would hurt to skip it if you have already been to campus and have had a personal tour. However, if your student is still on the fence about UA, this might help the decision making process.</p>

<p>^^^Our feelings exactly. It really was a worthwhile visit for us.</p>

<p>Thanks so much everyone for all the information. We booked our hotel today :slight_smile: I will start looking into flights. We are very excited. Thanks so much!!</p>