Capstone Summer Honors Program 2011

<p>Does anyone have past experience with the CSHP?</p>

<p>What specifically would you like to know? I haven’t participated myself, but have been helping with planning the program.</p>

<p>How many students do they accept to the program? Are most participants in-state students or oos? Do they “move in” the day before classes begin or a few days before? My D is excited about the prospect of possibly attending CSHP. She’s asking questions and I have no experience with any hs summer programs. Thanks for your assistance!</p>

<p>I am a 2002 CSHP alum. Since it’s been so long and so many things change over time, I’m hesitant to answer any specific questions, but I can tell you that it was a wonderful experience for me and I would highly recommend your daughter go should she be accepted.</p>

<p>Generally, about 40 students participate in CSHP. I’d imagine that most are in-state, though there are some OOS participants. From the info I’ve seen, move-in is on May 30th and classes begin on May 31st. CSHP is a great program and I’m sure that your D will enjoy it.</p>

<p>Thanks for your comments. We visited the campus last month and she absolutely loved it. Hopefully, it will work out for her. If any other info “pops up”, let me know!</p>

<p>When I was in it, there was a good mix of in-state and out-of-state (but most out-of-state people were still from the Southeast). I recall moving in a few days before classes starting (most likely the Saturday beforehand), this allowed for a mini-orientation for program attendees.</p>

<p>What is this program? Is this for incoming freshman only, or can undergraduates participate? Interested in learning more.</p>

<p>CSHP is a program for rising high school seniors to take college classes, including an honors seminar, and live on campus during the Summer I session. To participate, they must have an ACT score of 28+ or the SAT equivalent. [Honors</a> College - Capstone Summer Honors](<a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=capstone-summer-honors]Honors”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=capstone-summer-honors)</p>

<p>DD rec’d her “acceptance letter” today to participate in the CSHP 2011. She’s very excited. Does anyone know if they will live in the Honors dorms? I’m going to encourage her to start a FB group. I don’t know if she’ll be up for that with all the upcoming AP exams…</p>

<p>Congrats to your daughter! She’ll love it.</p>

<p>Thank you. The dates are May 30-July 1, if anyone is wondering.
Does Bama Bound occur during this time?
Does anyone know if the campus is just as lively during summer sessions as it is during traditional sessions?</p>

<p>Summer I term is May 31-June 30, so it looks like you move-in day before classes start. You won’t be attending a Bama Bound session, but you’ll go through a mini-orientation and registration session on the day you check-in.</p>

<p>The campus is not as lively as it is during the fall and spring, but it’s nowhere near dead. There’s probably around 5,000 students taking classes, plus a number of summer program and Bama Bound attendees. I think the word to describe feel of campus is “relaxed”.</p>

<p>If you’ve visited campus on a Friday of a non-home football game weekend, summer session will be much like that in terms of campus being very relaxed.</p>

<p>CSHP participants will be living in Lakeside East, a super suite dorm that is non-honors during the regular academic year.</p>

<p>Thank you for the info! All the little tidbits are wonderful. Thanks!</p>

<p>My daughter is doing the CSHP too (she’s coming from Chicago). Do you know what classes your daughter is thinking of taking?</p>

<p>jum-Last night, DD mentioned Honors Classics and Western Culture, Public Speaking, Intro to Criminal Justice but she hasn’t written any numbers next to the choices at this point.</p>

<p>What about your DD and class choices? </p>

<p>We’re in Indy. Have you guys visited campus yet?</p>

<p>I believe she wrote down Legal Environment of Business, Intro to American Politics, and Intro to Mass Communications for the general classes, and was thinking Dialogue in Humanities for the honors class. And my son is a junior at UA, so we’ve been there several times!</p>

<p>I assume your son is happy at UA since lil’ sis is spending a month there this summer. How did he decide on UA? Did your son attend CSHP during high school?</p>

<p>Yes he loves it there, he’s gone to summer school every year because he never wants to leave. And he was looking at schools in the south because I went to school down there (Ole Miss for two years then I transferred to UNC). We went to the LSU Alabama game and after that he had pretty much made his decision. And he did not attend CSHP… His high school grades weren’t exactly stellar (he and my daughter are very different). Anyway, we’ve pretty much fallen in love with UA, so my daughter is about 99% sure that’s where she’ll end up.</p>