Car in Madison

<p>Hey, I am currently debating whether bringing a car would be efficient in Madison. Having visited, I saw that most of the activity is happening in a small part of the city, but I still don't see the big picture. How efficient/inefficient is owning a car in terms of money and practicality?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I've been to Madison and believe it's not neccessary to own a car. You can travel much by bus anway.</p>

<p>The people I saw in cars looked pretty rediculous. The entire campus is made up of maybe 6 streets and there are buses that go around town, Taxies to get to the airport. State Street has a lot but as far as getting neccessities at the malls you will need some way of getting to them but I would just reccomend finding a ride with someone else. All parking is metered or tickited as far as I could see so it would be costly. I saw a few kids in Range Rovers and Audi's but other than that I didnt see many students with cars except grad students and farther away off campus people.</p>

<p>During the tour they seemed extremely against the car idea and all the students said they were unneccessary.</p>

<p>they tell kids during SOAR to not take cars if at all possible</p>

<p>Hmm... if you plan on having an off-campus job/apartment, how far away from the uni can you get before a car becomes practical? Can anyone tell me? </p>

<p>Oh yeah, at the SOAR, I had to pay 7 dollars a DAY for my friggin parking permit. Ridiculous. I probably would be better off parking my car in some restaurant's parking lot and walking to campus. :-/</p>

<p>Parking is a nightmare......having a car is good to get out to the malls and targets and such....but it can be more of a hassle than it's worth...the downtown area has pretty much anything one would need anyways.</p>

<p>You will get tickets--probably lots. Try a moped.</p>

<p>Agreed that a moped is probably better. </p>

<p>I have a car and have gotten a few tickets. Madison's progressive nazi police has a reputation around town - nobody likes them. I think I have a hint of what all those black rappers are talking about, how the police are always out to get you.<br>
They have the most ridiculous parking rules as to trick you into getting a ticket. Everybody hates them. </p>

<p>That said, I have a car because it gets me off and away from campus, and my mind is somewhere else. I can drive off into the country just outside of town and listen to the radio, and for once i'm off campus. It's quite nice.</p>

<p>But you definitely don't need one. A moped is great. You can bike to anywhere in Madison, as it's not really a big place at all. You can take a bus to anywhere in Madison. Taking a bus is just as fast as riding a bike. Or you can walk, as many people do and don't have a problem with it.</p>