Carleton vs Swarthmore vs Smith for Ling/Cog Sci

Thank you very much for all your help. I will be visiting the schools again next week and go from there.

4 Likes

So an update is Carleton is definitely off the table because of the Midwestern long winters and I did not feel drawn to the campus at all. (I just got back from my visit and it is still very cold even though it’s late April) I don’t particularly favor Smith or Swat’s “vibe”. I liked them both (They both have their own benefits that overlaps with my original top choice that did not work out) although they are very different schools so I think I may have to decide based on another pro-con list.

3 Likes

From your original post, it seems you prefer Smith. Amherst is a fun college town. I’d go for Smith.

3 Likes

It looks like April 25th was indeed a cold day in Northfield! Carleton gets colder than the others you listed, but fwiw it appears that particular day was 27 degrees below the historical average this year.

Some of the weather sites have nifty features for checking historical averages on a daily basis for the entire year for various cities, which might be of interest to you.

Congratulations on some fantastic options!!

3 Likes

Hi everyone. I was so torn between Smith and Swarthmore and I still have second thoughts as of now but I guess it will pass. I ended up picking Swarthmore because of the proximity to Philly / shadow grading. The deciding point was that I am not 100% sure if a historically women’s college is what I really need at this point of my life although Smith will always hold a special place in my heart. (plus Smith is more transfer friendly if I want to go down that road). Thank you very much for your help!

7 Likes

Thank you for the update. Best of luck to you at Swarthmore!

Congratulations! Time to buy that Swarthmore hoodie and celebrate your success in the college admission process!

2 Likes

And Northampton isn’t too shabby either. I personally love the Smith campus 
 it’s one of my favorites. We really enjoyed visiting and love the Pioneer Valley.

I also really like the Main Line area and that part of Philadelphia.

Tough choice. Very different schools.

And as much as I love and admire them, that is 100% the right thing on which to focus in making the decision. If that aspect of an all-women’s college doesn’t sing to you very clearly, then it’s probably not for you. And, unlike, say, Bryn Mawr, Smith is going to feel 100% like an all women’s college.

Academically, you had no wrong choice here. So you were in the enviable position of focusing exclusively on “happy” factors.

Congratulations.

3 Likes

The OP has chosen Swarthmore.

Yes. I know. Thank you.

1 Like

Congratulations from a Swat family! Our child who is also an alum took linguistics classes and really enjoyed them.

3 Likes

Haven’t read all the posts but I would make sure you read up on the Quaker consortium. Basically, Smith will get you classes at UMass yes
But Swarthmore will get you classes at Penn. It is a 25 minute free train trip from Campus to Campus.

The OP has made a college choice already. Closing.