Carnegie Mellon Admissions Fall 2022

How would you describe the differences in culture?

It is non-binding, but if you want the spot you have to deposit within 72 hours. Not much time to visit or think it over.

1 Like

That is correct.

3 Likes

The below link states that applicants can select either priority or regular waitlist. I thought the decision letter specified if the applicant has been placed in priority WL or regular WL? Or has everyone been put on priority list and its up to the applicants to elect to move to regular WL?

If you’ve received a waitlist decision, you can choose to join one of two Waiting Lists:

The Priority Waiting List is for you if Carnegie Mellon is still your first choice. To choose this list, please select “Priority Waiting List” on the Waiting List Reply Form and submit the Update Form any time between April 8 and May

The Regular Waiting List is the better choice if you’re more interested in other colleges but still want us to consider you for admission. To choose this list, please select “Regular Waiting List” on the Reply Form.

All waitlisted students can choose between these two lists. We don’t have any additional requirements for the Priority Waiting List beyond the Update and Reply Forms.

Everyone has the option to select either priority or regular WL as far as I know.
The only difference is that if you opt in to the priority list you have 3 days to submit your deposit and enroll.

Did anyone’s decision letter not mention the priority waitlist?

1 Like

35/5319 admitted from WL in 2021, does not break down by college. Wont be surprised if its 0 for SCS

1 Like

Waitlisted

1 Like

DD22 CMU design waitlisted and tired of WL that comes with additional essay. She will be attending UCLA design program and we are in-state so not complaining :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure everyone was offered “priority” waitlist and the numbers suggest they only select from this “priority” list. I see no reason anyone would select the “regular” waitlist.

2 Likes

Yes, this “choice” is offered to everyone so I really don’t see the point. Seems to be a gimmick to make applicants feel they’re special because they were offered “priority”.

5 Likes

Does CMU offer an appeal process with a change in the choice of major?

Does anyone know how many applications and how many acceptances this year? Was it more competitive than last year? Thanks.

1 Like

That would be completely consistent with CMU Admissions.

(Fwiw, they haven’t been receptive to feedback from Alumni Ambassadors. I cringe at just about every admissions session I attend.)

1 Like

I am also an alum and former Alumni Association Board member who has given them honest feedback over the years. I haven’t seen any changes.

And @CCName1 You should see the distasteful letter they sent us when S19 was accepted
 worded “you can more than afford” full tuition at CMU as our “financial aid” letter.
It came with all kinds of terrible ways to finance your education, too, which was odd
 including taking out a HELOC on your home. In the end CMU didn’t get our S19 nor did they get our full pay cash :slight_smile:

They didn’t get my 2020, either!

1 Like

Did CMU send out notifications for Fall 2022 applications? We are on vacation and haven’t been worrying about college notifications.

Yes, decisions were out on 3/26 and emails sent on 3/27.

Thanks, Beyou. We’ll check on Sunday after we return home.

1 Like

Much to our surprise, Thing #1 was accepted by CMU for MechE. Just a day ago, we thought he was headed to Case Western. Now we are planning a follow-up trip to Pittsburgh and he is signing up for admitted student info meetings.

4 Likes