Carnegie Mellon Admissions Fall 2022

Received, from the School of Music.

yes I received yesterday from school of architecture

My D got it too (although she didn’t know about it 'coz she doesn’t check her emails until I ask her to :roll_eyes:)

I think it’s an automatically generated email that they sent to all applicants, but cleverly customized to connect with the applicant’s major, CMU school, etc.

1 Like

Their AI algorithm is smart enough. It’s still a nice thing to see an update once a while.

Yes, agreed :+1:t3:

By the way, it looks like our daughters have applied to many of the same schools :grinning:

Looks like that. Infact my D’s classmate and she, has applied to the exact set of schools now and except CalTech, their admissions results are coming out the same.

Let’s see if our kids enroll into the same school :grinning:

1 Like

Hello All, my son has applied to CMU Data Science, can someone help us understand his chances of getting in RD? Thanks!

Relevant Stats:

State: WA
Race: Asian Male
GPA: 3.867 UW
ACT 36
ECs:

1. Summer programs like AI and coding classes for a few years
  2. interned for a company and created an application for them
  3. volunteer teacher and taught elementary school kids coding
  4. community service.
    Rec’s
    good letters of recommendation from Counselor and company he interned for

Accepts so far for Data Science:
Purdue
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Ohio State University
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
Oregon State

Deferred
University of Michigan
Case Western

Awaiting results
CMU
NYU
University of Maryland
University of Ilinois-Urbana Champaign
UCs*

Rejects:
Cornell

Also forgot to add University of Washington to the list of schools waiting for results. thanks

1 Like

UWM is a very nice school.

Has anyone sent the mid year transcript to CMU ? We sent it to common app through Parchment. But the portal doesn’t show it in the documents received list.

1 Like

Yes but it took about a week to show up

Thank you!

If any school should have an advanced AI algorithm for emails, or anything else, it should be The Nerd Farm.

1 Like

I am not sure about CMU’s Data Science program. Is it in the Computer Science school, or under the Math Dept? I know that CMU’s CompSci program is incredibly competitive, with only 5-6% of all applicants accepted. To make matters worse, CMU has gone to a gender equity policy for STEM majors (each class must be 50% male and 50% female). Since more males apply to programs like EE or CompSci, their acceptance rate will be even lower. Finally, because CMU is tired of being the safety for MIT and Stanford, their RD acceptance rate is even lower than their ED and overall rates.

When CWRU deferred him, did they invite him to apply ED II? Case is also tired of being used as a safety, and they deferred many students whose stats were high compared to their usual student. If he is really interested in CWRU, and willing to apply ED II, they would probably throw substantial merit aid his way.

It looks like your son has already been accepted to some strong programs. Congratulations! My son was accepted to Purdue for MechE, and it is near the top of his list. He too was postponed at UofM EA and had to write the obligatory “I bleed maize and blue” follow-up essay. He applied to CMU, aka The Nerd Farm, but we consider it a huge, unrealistic, “requires divine intervention” reach.

1 Like

My son sent his grades, but frankly, we have not checked the portal to see if they were logged.

CMU’s Department of Statistics and Data Science is part of the Dietrich H&SS school.

The provided GPA is right at the admitted average and the ACT is slightly above. Other components will certainly determine admissions chances, but I’d guess the admission rate of students with those objective metrics are slightly above Dietrich’s overall 26% admission rate. (Though that’s a 2020 number which has likely fallen as applications increase)

D22’s has “Additional School Transcript” and “Midyear Grade Report” shown as received Feb. 2. They were issued Jan. 25 but I don’t know when they were sent by the school counselor.

Midyear report and transcript are dated Feb. 5 in my son’s portal. This date is the same across all his portals at other schools. It looks like it’s an automatic download based on Common App.

Thanks for the reply. Out of all the schools he has applied to, Berkely (usnews#1) and CMU (usnews #2) would be the highest-ranking schools for data science but are reaches for him. I’m assuming both these 2 schools would be very hard for my son to get accepted into given that all the UC schools are test blind so he has no advantage with this 36 ACT score. In addition, since he’s out of state, it’s even doubly hard. I think University of Washington (usnews #5) is likely where he has the highest chance of getting into a T5 school in Data science as he is in-state.

1 Like

Our HS registrar did not send fall grades automatically. We had to go on Parchment and request that they be sent, then confirm with the registrar.