Carnegie Mellon Admissions Fall 2022

I just read up on the Priority waiting list at CMU. The problem my son has is that his other top choice school, University of Washington, has a May 1 first enrollment confirmation deadline, but it looks like the CMU priority waitlist notification date is May 2. Is it possible to rescind an enrollment confirmation at a school if CMU comes through with a spot?

Yes but you lose all deposit money.

1 Like

Is that the same for all universities? Just lose deposit money if enrollment confirmation is rescinded days later? I’m thinking many students will be placed in this situation as there are so many students being put on waitlists.

Yes. That is the norm. No one can force attendance but they can certainly keep the deposit money for admission, housing, etc. in my view if a dream school calls in July many would gladly give up their deposit money and attend said dream school instead.

4 Likes

DS waitlisted for Mellon college of sciences. Is priority waitlist binding like ED?

I looked on the website and priority waitlist isn’t binding but they expect an answer within 72 hours of admission. My question - and I didn’t see this on the website - does everyone get a choice or did only some get the choice of priority?

Maybe I missed it? Here’s the link: https://www.cmu.edu/admission/waiting-list/waiting-list-faq

2 Likes

S22 gets the choice, but perhaps everyone does too?

Anyone who wants it can get on the priority waitlist.

Completely agree - it feels a lot like a lottery.
Mich, Purdue, UIUC, and Case are great options for your DS.

We are fortunate to have Georgia Tech and UMaryland.
Kiddo’s list of deferrals/waitlists is long. But he is holding up fine.

2 Likes

My daughter was accepted :slightly_smiling_face:

4.0/5.0 gpa
1530 SAT One sitting
Excellent Rec Letters
Solid essay
Lots of ECs and AP classes

Rejected Vandy (ED) and Johns Hopkins
Deferred, then waitlisted at Northeastern

Accepted at the University of Florida, university of Miami and University of central
Florida (full ride)

We will visit CM soon!!

Does anyone know when financials come out?

3 Likes

The CMU website says the priority waitlist is non binding. Wouldnt that mean that you could decline the offer? From my understanding the difference is the requirement to respond within 3 days of their offer, otherwise you lose your spot. Please let me know if I’m wrong!!

1 Like

The Financial Aid Letter should show right in the applicant portal. Ours was next to the decision letter.

5 Likes

ADH0621 said 50. Not 50%.

And yes, it appears the “priority” waitlist is more marketing gibberish and everyone is offered “priority”.

if offered a spot from the waitlist, “priority” or not, it’s not binding, no.

The consensus is very little chance to get off the waitlist? why do they have such a huge waitlist every year?

1 Like

waitlisted!
international relations & politics major

Asian female, CA, title I large public school
3.98 UW, 4.17 W
7 APs including this year, 6 honors
1520 SAT (National Merit Finalist w/ 1470 SAT)
low-income

accepted: WashU, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UC Davis, UW Seattle w/ honors
waitlisted: UNC Chapel Hill, CMU, BU
rejected: n/a!

not gonna opt into waitlist since CMU was at the bottom of my list.

2 Likes

Waitlist is a pool from which they can pick and choose students. Why have 50 when you can have thousands in the pool?

My sister got in!
CMU SCS
International
IB Diploma Programme 45/45, HLs: CS, Maths, Physics
Solid and very very personal essays about roots and culture, and ECs involving volunteering for women’s assault and many physics and CS related activities
Rejected: UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UC Irvine, Michigan
Accepted: UNSW (Australia), still waiting on a few more US Unis.

Good luck to everyone! Can I ask if the tuition is definitely worth it? Can certainly afford, but does seem a little high :P.

3 Likes

DS waitlisted CMU mechanical engineering

Accepted:
Purdue FYE w/ Honors
UT Austin Mechanical Engineering
UIUC Mechanical Engineering
Univ. Wisconsin-Madison Mechanical Engineering
Univ. Washington-Seattle General Engineering
Texas A&M General Engineering
CU Boulder Mechanical Engineering

Waitlisted:
CMU
UCB
UCSD

Rejected:
Michigan
Rice

2 Likes

Has anyone been accepted to CMU school of science? My daughter wants to switch to engineering after first year and is deciding between CMU and Michigan. Any advice?

I have a student at Michigan and cross-campus transfer into engineering is pretty straightforward and do-able. I attended CMU many moons ago, so I couldn’t speak to their current requirements.

The cultures of each school are very, very different, though.