Carnegie Mellon AI4ALL 2021

hello! I’m new to college confidential, but I had a few qs about CMU’s AI4ALL program and I think this is the right place to ask (please let me know if there’s another thread for this already)
I’m a south-asian female sophomore with middle/high income parents. I was initially very excited to apply for AI4ALL, but after seeing the financial information section of the application my parents felt as though I wouldn’t have a chance since we aren’t low-income and I’m not part of an underrepresented group. Should I still apply, or should I look for something else to do?
Also does anyone have any recommendations for other compsci summer programs/opportunities that I could look into? I fear that my chance of being accepted into AI4ALL is very low, and I don’t want to waste time on the application if I cannot get accepted.
Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for the advice!

Did you get any responses to this? My daughter has the same question. CMU’s website is a bit ambiguous…

hello! I ended up still applying to CMU’s AI4ALL program, however, I did not get accepted. Your daughter should still apply though, since you never know what can happen! I believe my extracurriculars last year were lacking, and that may have contributed to the final decision on my application.

If your daughter does apply and gets rejected, there are plenty of other free summer programs regarding tech that she can apply for. After I got rejected, I applied for another program and ended up receiving a full scholarship to attend a web dev bootcamp, so I’m pretty happy with how things turned out! Let me know if you want more info about the program, I’d be happy to share.

Thanks for this! Yes, I’d love to hear about this web dev program!

Here is a website for the program: https://www.kodewithklossy.com/
Applications open around April of 2022 and the program will be held during varying dates for two week slots throughout the summer of 2022. I believe the program may be held both virtually and in-person this year, so your daughter will have a higher chance of being accepted!