Carnegie mellon chances

<p>so I'm a rising senior looking to apply to Carnegie Mellon's College of Fine Arts in communications design as my first chance. I am an African American female with these stats:</p>

<p>SAT I: 1860 (590 CR 630 M 640)
I am planning to take it again this fall.</p>

<p>SAT II: 620 US History & taking Math II this fall (idk If I should submit my SAT II scores since there are not required for CFA)</p>

<p>ACT: 31 (33 R 31 E 30 M 28 S 29 W) Although I did pretty well I'm taking them again this fall to see if I can do better.</p>

<p>I attend a prestigious private school and we do not have ranking or GPA. But I am an A/B+ student.</p>

<p>AP Courses: Calculus AB, Calculus BC, US History, Physics, Studio Art</p>

<p>ECs:
took college credit graphic design and art foundations courses at Pratt Institute in NYC
took pre-college architecture classes at my local state college, won an award for one of my designs)
internship at an architecture firm
4 yrs of Varsity Track
3 yrs of Fencing
4 yrs of Spanish Club, President for 1 yr
3 yrs of Art Club
2 yrs of Black Cultural Association, 1 yr of Black Achievers Investment Club
counseling freshman students at my school (kind of like sex ed taught by seniors but we talk about broader issues such as peer pressure, drinking, drugs, school, etc.)</p>

<p>With a combination of my portfolio (which I am currently working on) and my stats I think I have a pretty good shot at being accepted. I did hear that CFA is more focused on a strong portfolio rather than stellar SAT scores.what do you think are my chances? and would I be better off applying early decision or regular decision?</p>

<p>I think you have a great shot. Great ACT score (Converts to about a 2040 SAT).</p>

<p>I think that with a bit of improvement you could have a great chance. Increase you SAT 200 points. Your SAT II is a bit low, I would aim for the high 600s to middle 700s. I don’t think it could hurt if you sent them in though. Its good that you are really into Art, as well, but I think you should focus a bit more on you Art ECs. Maybe win more awards. And also sports are great and all but if you aren’t really dedicated to it, love it, or exceptionally good at it I would just drop it and focus more on academics and Art.</p>

<p>best of luck</p>