Carnegie Mellon SAMS 2021 Discussion

If you are interesting in programs other than SAMS, please start new topics in the Summer Programs thread.

This thread is about the SAMS program. No one will see questions buried in here related to other programs.

Ah okay thank you

Hello, I’m new to CC and I’m currently writing my essays for CMU SAMS, but if there’s anyone who could spare any time to read my essays, I would much appreciate the help! As of right now, I’m not finished with the essays, but I would send them as soon as they are done.

I’d be willing to review them!

Hi everyone! Does anyone know where to include awards and honors in the application portal? Should we include it in the “Extracurricular Activities” section?

1 Like

I included awards in the “Extracurricular Activities” section.
For the ‘frequency of participation’ I just put how long I spent working towards the project, or on the competition, that I received the award from.

Does anyone have any guesses as to how many students are applying this year?
Also, does anyone know how many students SAMS accepts? (especially how many rising juniors vs rising seniors)

based on past threads and info from people that have done the program before, I would say there is a heavy emphasis on rising seniors and based on how they are setting up the program this year (kind of mirroring MOSTEC) I would say that rising seniors are probably their main focus this year as well

1 Like

Actually, i’m a female asian (so not rly an underrepresented minority in STEM) with a high household income and i was one of the few juniors who got in last year

It’s really interesting how all this works. I want to see demographics of students accepted, because now I’m just sort of confused.

Also, I think I know you.

Yeah, sometimes it can be really random!! And really?? Where do you know me from haha. what’s your name?

results come out tomorrow!

Anyone knows What time the result will come out tomorrow?

I have no idea but you could probably call or email: cmu-sams@andrew.cmu.edu (412) – 268 - 2150

Also does anyone want to make a group chat or something

if i get in i’d love to be in a groupchat! it would be really nice to start the program already being familiar with other people

i can’t believe decisions come out tomorrow :open_mouth: it’s so nerve racking
i’m curious as to how many students they’ll accept - according to some people here on cc, the number of accepted students was decreased by a fair amount last year
i wonder if they might try to accommodate more students than they were planning on last year, because online makes it easier (and cheaper for them) to have more participants (compared to in-person)

anyways, i hope all of us see “Congratulations” messages popping up in our portals tmr :))

6 Likes

Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

I was wondering when decisions come out today as well. My son applied but he’s a sophomore (and not low income) so he’s not too optimistic. I keep reminding him to check his email bc he’s convinced he’s not getting in. If by chance he’s accepted, I’d love to add him to any chat group that’s formed! Good luck to u all!

has anyone gotten any news about acceptances yet?

1 Like

do they usually email results, or is it supposed to be in our portal