Cars! Cars! Cars!

<p>So, my mother informed me yesterday that since i will not be allowed to leave campus, i will not be getting a car for the fall. So i was wondering how do students go along without cars in miami? Is it possible to have fun off campus without a car? I live in Atlanta so how's transportation to the airport? and are there alot of kids who have cars whom i can bum a ride from? hollaback at cha girl!</p>

<p>Superstar.....yes you can get off campus without a car. Not only is there the Metro-rail which runs southbound to Dadeland and shopping, it runs northbound up towards the Orange Bowl. There are student shuttles which run to the Grove, Sunset Place, and Publix on the weekends. Sometimes they take cabs, but be aware it can cost upwards of 80.00 to go from campus to South Beach in a cab. There is a shuttle which goes to MIA for 11.00, but you will probably be able to catch a ride with another kid when going to the airport. I know my son has played chauffer several times. Honestly, my son tells me he rarely drives his car, because parking is difficult on campus and because of the traffic. Don't fret. You will get along just fine without it. Have fun and good luck!</p>

<p>1tcm, what about getting to the campus from the airport? Does a private company shuttle run in both directions, or is it a UM shuttle that just goes to the airport when the dorms clear out for vacations? Thanks!</p>

<p>The MIA shuttle is a private company. Called Super Shuttle. Supershuttle.com will get you reservations, info, etc. It runs both ways. S has never used the service, so I don't know about reliability, but it seems very similar to a shuttle service that we've used many times out of St. Louis. Also don't forget that when they make travel arrangements they can use the on-campus travel agency and I'm sure that they can help with shuttle arrangements as well. If I was a bettin person though, I'd bet that 99% of the time they will find friends who will be glad to drop em off and pick em up.</p>

<p>Good site for all things regarding Miami Dade Transit which includes info on Bus system, Metro-rail, and Metro-mover...</p>

<p><a href="http://www.gmcvb.com/visitors/gettingaround_public_transportation.asp%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.gmcvb.com/visitors/gettingaround_public_transportation.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thank you! This is extremely helpful, especially as it looks like S will fly to Miami himself, to meet H who will be arriving there to do the move-in after an east coast conference. I sadly will remain here - we just can't justify another coast to coast ticket. Our hope is that H will meet S's plane but you know how travel goes - S may need that shuttle on his arrival! You are right - I expect that by Christmas, he'll be hitching a ride with someone.</p>

<p>Dude, I dont mean to scare you, but you really need a car in Miami... im not trying to be an a**, Im just being honest with you and saving you a headache. I go to high school in the nearby Broward County, and I know how it is down here. Yes, you might be able to find friends who you can drive around with, but you're gonna wish you had that car when you get here.</p>

<p>try to convince your mom to get you one.</p>

<p>I went to UM last year... you don't really need a car. Aside from driving home, I rarely used mine (and if I did, it was to take a group out to dinner/Coconut Grove/etc). We all just piled in a friends car if we were to go out. Public transportation is not great by any means (I only used it to go to the football games) but you will have plenty of friends who have cars and who will be willing to drive you to somewhere you need to go. I had a good amount of friends who did not have a car and they never had any trouble finding a ride. That being said, it is more convenient to have a car, but it is definately not a necessity.</p>

<p>I have driven a few friends to the airport over the last year. Again, the lack of a car will not be anything more than an small inconvenience.</p>

<p>
[quote]
ometimes they take cabs, but be aware it can cost upwards of 80.00 to go from campus to South Beach in a cab.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yeah, it will cost $80 if you take a cab ride from UM to South Beach via Hialeah and Hollywood.</p>

<p>A cab ride from UM to South Beach is $35 maximum. The average fare will be in the mid to high-$20s.</p>