Cars on Campus

<p>I was reading on US News’s UA description that 80% of students have cars on campus. I don’t know how credible US News is about this, but do that many people have cars on campus? If so, why? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Personally, I like to feel in control and not have to rely on public transportation. It gives me the freedom to go where I want, when I want as well.</p>

<p>Since most of US college students commute to college from home, then the stat makes sense. Most students do not “go away” to school. Most commute to their local CC or state school. And, even those who do go away, often move off campus after a year or so, so many use cars to get to campus.</p>

<p>My D has had her car on campus since freshman year. It’s not a need; it’s a want and a convenience. She likes being able to go to stores and other places without relying on others, taking the occasional road trip, driving back and forth (not often - we’re 12 hours away) on her own schedule, etc.</p>

<p>S has a car but uses his bike mostly- car is mainly to get home when needed or go to store etc… he lives just off campus too- parking is not great at UA so it’s a pain and $$</p>

<p>Re: Freshmen. Based on lots of conversations with many new freshman parents, I seriously doubt that 80% of freshmen are bringing cars to campus. Pure guess…maybe more like 60%.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the percentage of students with cars does not necessarily reflect the percentage of ones friends who have cars. The same is true about a number of other things. Use caution when planning expensive activities as there’s a chance not all of ones friends can afford to attend.</p>

<p>My son has a car on campus, but mainly because for us it’s much cheaper and easier for him to drive home for breaks than to try to fly. He very rarely drove his car during freshman year and even sophomore year when he moved off campus, he rode his bike to classes most of the time.</p>