CBHP - Accepted or Rejected

<p>Cuttlefish123 - keychain from his aunt - I covet it - thanks for the sightseeing suggestions - </p>

<p>mom2collegekids - have <em>no</em> idea where we are staying. Husband has all sorts of travel points so I’m waiting for him to get back in town to figure it out. What are the advantages to Hotel Capstone, other than perhaps catching a glimpse of beloved son and hissing at him to ‘stand up straight’ or ‘tuck in his shirt’ …?</p>

<p>NRDMOM- I’ll send you a picture of my son, so you can hiss at him too. We won’t be there! LOL</p>

<p>vlines:</p>

<p>Done!</p>

<p>Capstone’s prices might be high that weekend…you might try Hampton Inn (on Harper Lee) or Holiday Inn Express (on 15th/Veterans Memorial)</p>

<p>No really advantage to Capstone…just a bith closer to campus.</p>

<p>Be sure to go to the Paul Bear Bryant Museum…and see the film there first before looking at the “stuff”.</p>

<p>Also drive by the RiverWalk…and go to Downtown, The Strip, and Midtown Village.</p>

<p>Just a couple upcoming examples of opportunities outside CBH
[Undergraduate</a> Research Seminar: Health-related Undergraduate Research Opportunities Outside of the Sciences and Engineering | Events Calendar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Events Calendar - The University of Alabama”>Events Calendar - The University of Alabama)
[Undergraduate</a> Research Seminar: Writing Research Abstracts | Events Calendar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Events Calendar - The University of Alabama”>Events Calendar - The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>And, of course, all of the majors-related clubs/groups…</p>

<p>And the service-oriented groups…</p>

<p>And, for fun, the College of Eng’g group of comedy theater…you don’t have to be in eng’g to participate…usually 2 performances per year.</p>

<p>College of Engineering Group of Comedy Theatre? Is that like when my son <em>insists</em> on tryng to make me understand a concept in his Multivariable Differential Calculus course while my husband laughs hysterically in the backround? I’m coming to EVERY show.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the links to research – they are very helpful. It would be nice as incoming students to be able to ask questions from people that know UA without being referenced as wanting everything to fall in our laps. Some good info has come from asking the question.</p>

<p>At least he will try to talk to you about it, ndsmom. My son just rolls his eyes at me!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>College of Engineering Group of Comedy Theatre? Is that like when my son <em>insists</em> on tryng to make me understand a concept in his Multivariable Differential Calculus course while my husband laughs hysterically in the backround? I’m coming to EVERY show.</p>

<p>=================</p>

<p>lol</p>

<p>The name of the group is COE Does ART (Amateur Radical Theater). And they do Parody Musical Comedies. There are singing, dancing, etc opportunities.</p>

<p>================
Thanks for all the links to research – they are very helpful. It would be nice as incoming students to be able to ask questions from people that know UA without being referenced as wanting everything to fall in our laps. Some good info has come from asking the question.</p>

<p>==============</p>

<p>Calm down. You are misconstruing my answer. I never said that you want everything to fall into your lap. </p>

<p>My point was a general one about research opps, and not really directed at you. When I answer questions, I know that there are many others reading, so I try to give a complete answer… Some people misunderstand how it all works. They sometimes think that kids show up for school and they’re matched up with reseach opps. Students do have to be pro-active for a few reasons…one: because not everyone wants to do reseach…two: because being proactive shows the researcher that the student is a go-getter type, which is what they usually want.</p>

<p>Sorry if I took offence where none was intended. UA board has been very helpful for the past year and a half. Many more questiones answered just by reading posts than on any other CC college board that I have been following. Most others are very “sleepy” (as was said on the AU board) as compared to UA board. There are some great posts about UA on the AU board also. </p>

<p>Thanks for all the great posts. I know much more about UA now because of them.</p>

<p>NRDMOM - Our DS will be there next week end for the CBH interviews too!! He also would not be the most vocal person you have ever met, as in, more than 2 syllables at a time is a major conversation. </p>

<p>If we can get the two of them together in the same area we may be able to create an all natural cone of silence. :-)</p>

<p>MemphisGuy - LOL - Better yet, we get them to combine their massive brain power to just <em>will</em> the selection committee to choose them…</p>

<p>I’ve had multiple teachers tell me how much they enjoyed having my son in their class - their only regret - how many MONTHS it took to discover how smart and interesting and witty he is. </p>

<p>He’s doomed. ;-)</p>

<p>“My younger son wasn’t accepted to CBH and we were quite shocked. In the end, my son has felt that he really didn’t have time for it …he has plenty of other opportunities and is glad that he didn’t also have to fit in that extra commitment. For my older son, CBH was great…but as we’ve learned with S2, there are many other opps at Bama.”</p>

<p>M2CK, sorry I haven’t been active here for the past week but we learned that our son was wait-listed for CBHP and it was a major disappointment. Your postings about your experience and your S2’s success at UA after also not making the CBHP has been extremely helpful and encouraging, and we are (still) looking forward to a great four years. Thank you for sharing your insights so generously. Congrats to all the CBHP finalists, non-finalists, and everyone who is part of of this amazing part of the UA community, and thanks everyone for the inspiration.</p>

<p>i think if your child qualifies for a great scholarship (and most of the CBHP kids do), not making CBHP shouldn’t really knock UA off your list. </p>

<p>there are plenty of non CBHP CC kids that are doing great at UA.</p>

<p>Additional opportunity for the incoming freshman STEM major.</p>

<p>[Dialog</a> - UA Faculty & Staff News STEM ? A New Path to the MBA](<a href=“http://dialog.ua.edu/2012/01/stem-a-new-path-to-the-mba/]Dialog”>http://dialog.ua.edu/2012/01/stem-a-new-path-to-the-mba/)</p>

<p>“Each spring, the Manderson Graduate School of Business will invite high-performing incoming freshman students who have indicated an interest in pursuing a major program of study in a STEM-related discipline to apply for the STEM path to the MBA,” Morgan said. “However, students who did not receive an invitation but have met the requirements of a 3.3 high school GPA and 28 ACT score may contact us and request an invitation.”</p>

<p>M2CK, sorry I haven’t been active here for the past week but we learned that our son was wait-listed for CBHP and it was a major disappointment. Your postings about your experience and your S2’s success at UA after also not making the CBHP has been extremely helpful and encouraging, and we are (still) looking forward to a great four years. Thank you for sharing your insights so generously. Congrats to all the CBHP finalists, non-finalists, and everyone who is part of of this amazing part of the UA community, and thanks everyone for the inspiration.</p>

<h1> * </h1>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I understand the disappointment.</p>

<p>I know what a disappointment it was when Son #2 didn’t make CBH, but I’m glad that it didn’t deter my son. He’s having a great time at Bama, doing many things that he may not have had time for in CBH, and not being “held back” at all.</p>

<p>When things are less hectic with the CBH people, I hope to reach out again to Dr. S to discuss more opps for those who don’t make CBH. We talked at length about it last summer and he’s determined to provide more options for these kids. </p>

<p>The Honors College Assembly and the Emerging Scholars Program are sources, but there are more than that.</p>

<p>Thanks, M2CK; as always your comments are warmly and gratefully received.</p>

<p>Hey, I just found out that my D will be participating in CBHP interviews on Monday … she’s very excited! For those interviewing, don’t worry, she’s a sweatheart! :slight_smile: No names provided here, but if your son or daughter remembers who does their interview then you can PM me and I can let you know if it was my D. Good luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Hope she likes the strong, silent types… ;-)</p>