CBHP and Fellows Interview Travel Question

<p>UFE semi-finalist parents–please consider all travel expenses as an opportunity. I will tell you from experience that the travel cost (for us) was far greater than first year of UFE scholarship. It CANNOT be about the scholarship money.
We did not discuss the scholarship funds that one may or may not receive before, during or after the interview weekend. Of course, we were aware of Academic Elite but there really is a very small chance of an AE offer. What’s the point of discussing it? There’s not much in print about it for a reason.
It’s about the program. That is an HONOR, in itself. It is a huge time requirement; considering “required UFE credit hours” and mandatory outside activities (including weekends).
I chose to travel with my daughter, even though she has flown solo numerous times. Once I dropped her off at the first location, long story including delayed flights and change of final destination airport, I only saw her from midnight to 7a during interview weekend. They have a full schedule. I didn’t mind because I needed decompressing after a hellish travel day. I attended the gymnastics meet, a men’s basketball game, a baseball game and enjoyed strolling around campus. I probably enjoyed the weekend much more than she did, understandably so :slight_smile:
Moral of the story: Let this be the applicant’s adventure/experience. I know it’s difficult to step back and be hands off but this would be a great time to start. I can’t imagine that it would sit well for a parent to be hovering around the UFE activities. IF they don’t make friends and/or having difficulty interacting during the weekend, it’s probably not the right fit for them.
Honestly, it was much more difficult finding proper interview weekend outfits than rush dresses. The weather did not cooperate. It rained and rained so be prepared.</p>

<p>This thread is a year old. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Info/experience remains constant year to year :slight_smile: ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>This thread is a year old, and it is bringing back PTSD moments for me. </p>

<p>Don’t ever count yourself out. We were wait listed for CBH this time last year. Who would have ever guessed it would all work out so well.</p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>Sometimes it is good to see old threads revived because the info is still pertinent, and the new info that is added puts everything into perspective.</p>

<p>Excellent advice mam!
Focus on what you are there for, and nothing else. All you can offer is yourself.</p>

<p>The CBH finalist invitation said to dress comfortably. Khakis and a polo? They are going for a nice dinner, so I’m wondering if that’s nice enough.</p>

<p>I would suggest business casual for the dinner and interviews.</p>

<p>According to Mrs. Batson, it truly is jeans casual. I asked “even for the interview?” She said yep, the interview is only 15 minutes. She also said shorts would even be ok, except the weather is unpredictable. They want the kids comfortable because they will be doing lots of walking, so comfortable shoes is the most important thing.</p>

<p>I feel like he should dress casual if that’s what they are insisting upon, but jeans seems odd for an interview. He’s planning on casual pants and polo or button down shirt.</p>

<p>This is from the CBHP website that the invite linked…</p>

<p>Q: How should I dress?
A: The dress code for orientation is casual. This means jeans casual…NOT business casual. Please wear comfortable shoes because you will be walking around campus for various meetings. You may also want to check the weather for Tuscaloosa and dress appropriately</p>

<p>I know what the website says but I wouldn’t do shorts and would think carefully before wearing jeans. Bottom line they are being interviewed and as such will be compared to the other kids, presentation will become a part of the process. When DS went last year he wore a nice pair of kaki’s and a presentable button down shirt. Cetainly nothing fancy and probably not to the level of what most consider to be business caual but not much below that.</p>

<p>I remember him saying that the others style of dress varied greatly… a few wore jeans, a few work suits and ties… most seemed to be in the middle with “regular” pants and shirts.</p>

<p>I would agree. Overdressing is much better for the psyche than underdressing :)</p>

<p>I guess then that you could wear whatever is comfortable, for some students that will be Buisness Casual, for others khakis and polos, for some jeans. Just remember neat jeans, nothing ripped, and no crazy t shirts either. Wearing good walking shoes is always good advice especially for the young ladies.</p>