CBHP/Fellows Chances?

<p>Hey guys, I’m a senior from PA who is probably going to UA next year (I’m a NMSF, hopefully will be NMF). I am almost finished with my CBHP application and will be doing the Fellows App right after. I was wondering if anyone could give me, realistically, my chances of getting into these programs. Also I know that CBHP takes 40 freshman per year, but how many apply? Also, how much do the essays factor into the acceptance decision for these programs? Anyways, thanks in advance! Here are the stats:</p>

<p>GPA: 4.00/4.40 (weighted)
SAT: 1540 (800 math, 740 CR); 800 Chemistry; 760 Math II
Class Rank: top 3% (but my school does not provide rank)</p>

<p>ECs:
-Varsity Cross Country; 4 years; Captain
-Varsity Indoor Track; 4 years; Captain
-Varsity Outdoor Track; 4 years; Captain
-School Orchestra; 4 years; section leader
-School Mascot; 4 years
-National Honors Society; 3 years; Committee Chair
-200+ hours spent volunteering at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum as a sailing instructor
-30+ hours spent volunteering to help time, marshal, etc. at local charity road races</p>

<p>Awards:
-National Merit Semi-Finalist
-Distinguished Honor Roll
-AP Scholar
-Advanced Level Sailor
-Many various awards from XC/Track</p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>About 200 students applied last year to CBHP. Your stats/ECs are very sound for either program, but essays do carry a significant weight when the selection committee looks at the applicants. BTW, my son is in CBHP and truly loves it.</p>

<p>My daughter has also applied for CBHP. Her stats are not as high, but she is a Presidential Scholorship recipient. She really took a chance on her essay and did something non traditional in hopes of standing out. Our hope is that her grades and such speak for themselves and that her essay will show she is not only smart but creative. </p>

<p>Our fear is that because she is not a NMF, her chances are markably decreased. Dr Sharpe shared with us that last year 27 of 40 were NMF.</p>

<p>I don’t think your chances are lower if you aren’t an NMF. </p>

<p>CBHP students do have high stats and they are interesting people. If there is a place to show interest in your application, then be all means show interest. If not, then email Dr. Sharpe and Mrs. Batson and ask a question or two. I think they want to interview people that have a genuine interest in UA and in CBHP.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone.</p>

<p>@Cuttlefish123 I’m visiting 'Bama in January, should I try to meet with Dr. Sharpe then? Also, does anyone know how many NMFs went to 'Bama last year? I haven’t been able to find the number.</p>

<p>PACrimson: You should definitely try and speak with Dr. Sharpe. He is a wonderful man. Are you visiting during Capstone Scholars Day?</p>

<p>You should also try to get an appointment to speak with Dr. Jacqueline Morgan, head of the UFE. She is also very sweet. Meeting with them will put a face to the name on the application. </p>

<p>When are the apps due? When did they tell you that they would contact you for an interview if you make it to the semifinalist level? Hopefully your visit is before then.</p>

<p>M2CK’s usually posts this info. I found it for you.</p>

<p>Yes…If you decide to visit Bama, this is what you need to do…</p>

<p>set up a campus tour time online…try for the early morning one.
Campus Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama</p>

<p>send an email to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA
(if a likely NMF, indicate so)
intended major
professional interests (pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, etc)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine - Honor College Recruitment Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>From Dr. Witt’s fall state of the university address, the fall 2011 freshman class had 182 National Merit Scholars.</p>

<p>Sniner: Not being a NMF should not decrease your daughter’s chances of being in CBHP. While the program has many NM students, there are others who hold Presidential or other scholarships. </p>

<p>As a teacher, I always tell HS students that if they write a unique essay, it will be remembered. You want to stand out. One of my former students wrote about her obsession with Justin Bieber – in a very humorous way. She got into several top 20 schools last year.</p>

<p>Her honors English teacher read her essay and said, “now that’s a stand out essay.” so, let’s keep our fingers crossed!!</p>

<p>Dr Sharpe shared with us that last year 27 of 40 were NMF.</p>

<p>That’s 2/3rds. </p>

<p>Being NMF does help, but it isn’t required. I do think that CBH does like having NMFs because then they have fewer kids to give “extra scholarships” to. CBH often gives an extra scholarship to non-NMFs to help pay for housing. Obvsiously, it’s much cheaper to give those extra scholarships to 13 kids than - say - 25.</p>

<p>That said, someone who isn’t NMF should not be deterred from applying. If your stats are strong and you write a great essay, that should help a lot. After all, some kids are from states with high PSAT cut-offs, so making NMSF is more difficult. </p>

<p>Writing a great essay is a big help. :)</p>

<p>Being an NMF has very little to do with CBHP admission, and is certainly not as important as the combination of an applicant’s test scores, essay, resume, and grades.</p>

<p>CBHP would never admit more NMFs just to keep from having to give out more fellowship dollars. I believe the high proportion of NMFs has more to do with the fact that CBHP attracts the same type of high-achieving student that is likely to do well on the NMSQT.</p>

<p>CBHP is looking for well-rounded students who are applying for the program, not the money they might receive as a member.</p>

<p>Do any of you know how much scholarship $$$ they award for CBHP?</p>