CBHP Travel

<p>This will be my son’s first trip to Bama, so he would like to meet with some CS people, etc… I’d like him to have the full day to really see as much as he can. My question is…how far in advance of his flight would he need to leave Tuscaloosa? So if he has a 7 PM flight out of BHM, would he need to leave by 4? I’m trying to establish if one day would be enough, or if I should go with him so that he can stay an extra day. I’d like to avoid the expense of flight, hotel, car, etc.</p>

<p>If your son travels alone, the CBHP staff will both pick up and drop off your son from the airport … and will likely group as many students in the van as makes sense. They did a great job of coordinating. Personally, I had chosen to accompany my D so that we could control our own timing. If I’m remembering correctly, the last day of the CBHP weekend ends around noon from an agenda standpoint.</p>

<p>If he isn’t checking luggage, he should be safe leaving by 4:30. I don’t know what day he’s leaving on, so I can’t gauge the effect of rush hour traffic (which isn’t generally too bad unless there is a wreck). You don’t say how he will be getting to the airport, but a good shuttle driver will know how to exit and detour around major problems. If he prints off his boarding pass that morning or gives the Skycap a dollar to print off his ticket outside (so he doesn’t have to stand in line inside), he should be fine leaving at 4:30. It takes 1-1.25 hours for me to get to the airport from campus. The only time it has ever taken me longer than 1.5 hours was in game day traffic. So, leaving at 4:30 should give him plenty of time. 4:00 is ultra, ultra safe. He definitely does not need to leave any earlier than that.</p>

<p>^^^ To stress again, the CBHP staff handle this for the students that are traveling alone. There is no need to plan for shuttles. This is a normal part of the process for the weekend. They will ensure that your children are picked up and dropped off. This is often done by Mr. and Mrs. Batson themselves.</p>

<p>Dad, just to clarify, I wasn’t contradicting what you wrote. Your message showed on my screen after I posted mine. I was just attempting to give the OP an idea of the time needed to make the trip. :slight_smile: Thanks for your info!</p>

<p>It’s on a Monday. The schedule shows interviews/department visits going to 5:00 if need be. I understand that they will provide his transportation IF he leaves on Monday. I just wanted to make sure he could get a full day in, otherwise, I’d go with and we’d stay an extra day. Sounds like it should work…thanks for the input!</p>

<p>One more question…if he arrives early on Sunday, will he just end up sitting at the airport until 1:00, or do they transport them in waves? I realize I might need to make a phone call…just thought some of you have been there, done that!</p>

<p>^^^ Definitely there is more than one van trip required, and this is the reason that they ask for your flight information so that they can plan. The info sheet that you fill out as part of accepting your invitation to the weekend asks for that travel info.</p>

<p>Mommy Dearest: Just call Jane Batson. She is a mom and understands all of the questions that you have.</p>

<p>My son has to leave before 5:00 as the only flights back to Austin leave at 6 or 6:30. The email says that they should just try not to get a flight from Birmingham before 3:00.</p>