Cbhp

<p>Oh my gosh I wish I had checked this forum for this thread! Our son was one of the CBHP finalists and was interviewing with your children this past weekend. I am so glad to find each of you.</p>

<p>Like most of your kids, he will be attending UA regardless of CBHP status. We were going through the dorm options earlier this evening trying to determine which dorm appears to be the best. Is anyone considering Bryant for the Engineering kids?</p>

<p>Hope all of us have good news over the next couple of weeks!</p>

<p>Also, the current Bama bound dates for honors are the very week of final exams and graduation for our son! Is there another way to register for classes to ensure he can grab the courses he needs?</p>

<p>crimsonmomtobe: Glad to hear that your son had a good time at the CBHP finalist weekend. My son, who is in CBHP, had very nice things to say about all the candidates.</p>

<p>As for housing, since your son is in honors, I would take advantage of that honors housing as a freshman for one reason. If you do not, your son cannot move into honors in future years. There will be plenty of engineering majors living in honors housing (my son, for example, lives with two). </p>

<p>As for classes, do not worry. Your son will get the classes that he needs. UA holds back spots in classes just because it knows that not every student can make it to a particular Bama Bound session. Because of exams, graduation and other commitments, my son did not register for classes until late June … and he got what he wanted.</p>

<p>Crimsonmomtobe: Good to have you with us! This forum has been quite valuable as my D considers UA. There are SO many knowledgeable parents here and they are very willing to share what they know! Best of luck to you as you (and I) wait on the CBHP decisions for our kids.</p>

<p>Thank you both so much! </p>

<p>Momreads - could you help me with something? I understand the beds are full size in the Bryant Dorm. Our guy is 6’4" and still growing! One of the dorm RA’s mentioned that he was 6’2" and his feet dangled off the bed at Lakeside! lol </p>

<p>Does your son know anything about the beds? Which dorm is he in?</p>

<p>crimsonmomtobe,</p>

<p>The beds in Bryant are Full XL (basically queen beds that are 7 inches narrower). Beds in the Honors dorms are Twin XL. Both types of bed are 80 inches long; the same as a queen or king. I’m [only] 6’1" and I think that the beds are too short, lol. The only commonly-sold beds that are longer are California Kings and California Queens, both of which you’d be hard pressed to fit, let alone find in a dorm room. :)</p>

<p>Thanks SEA_tide … lol we feel your pain in our very tall family. I didn’t know that he couldn’t get into an Honors Dorm later. That concerns us. His point was at least he could lay diagonally on the full bed. Also, the Grill appealed to him for meals.</p>

<p>Just really need advice on which way to go. Since we live 7.5 hours away we can’t drive in and look in person. We had seen the Ridgecrest South Tower demo on an earler tour. He really like the four bedroom split with the living area in the center. </p>

<p>Comments from the parents are very helpful here!</p>

<p>Do your homework on Meal Plan options before you choose a dorm. Bryant houses many athletes and Bryant Sports Grill has an up-charge for dinner. It is very busy during lunch. </p>

<p>Athletic Meal Plans: Athletic meal plans may be purchased for an additional $395 per term. This plan allows members to consume one training table meal per day and up to 5 per week according to NCAA regulations; this applies to athletes and non-athletes alike. All students are eligible for the athletic meal plan. Students with regular meal plans may dine at Bryant Sports Grill using their meal plan for lunch and with payment of the standard upcharge of $9.75 for dinner. </p>

<p>Bryant Sports Grill is closed on Saturdays and only serves dinner on Sundays.</p>

<p>Any student can purchase the Athletic Meal Plans but it costs an ADDITIONAL $790 per year. My middle son is a Varsity Athlete. He speaks very highly of the food at Bryant Grill!
Our rising Freshman will have the Athletic Meal Plan when he arrives on campus this August. It is important to us that our boys are able to eat meals together. </p>

<p>With campus housing demands greater than supply, I strongly suggest you choose Honors Housing.</p>

<p>IIRC, one of our posters, kansasdemocrat, is 6’5" and has lived in Honors housing for the past couple of years, so it is possible for a tall person to live comfortably in Honors housing.</p>

<p>I eat lunch at Bryant 3-5 times per week and highly recommend the food. I’ve been to dinner once (no upcharge as I had a certificate for a complementary meal anywhere on campus) and would recommend it just to say that you did it. You can get the same amount of food at the other dining halls, but you’ll have to go back for seconds/thirds since only Bryant has trays. I’ve been meaning to go to Lakeside when they’re serving BBQ ribs and eat a whole rack of them, even if I can only get 1-2 ribs at a time. :wink: </p>

<p>I’d suggest living in the Honors housing if he has plans of living on campus during future years.</p>

<p>Crimsonmomtobe: My son is over 6ft 3in, and has honors housing, he has no trouble sleeping in the bed since the bed is 80 inches long. Never heard a complaint yet :slight_smile: Once you add mattress pad cover and mattress topper, the bed is padded out rather nicely. I might suggest that you start ordering your twin XL bedding early. It sells out quickly and is often backordered.</p>

<p>This is so helpful! As a newbie, which dorm would you recommend for an incoming honors student, engineering major and possible CBHP? And why?</p>

<p>So glad I read this thread even though DS is only in the CBHP reserve pool! Do you mean we can send his XLtwin mattress topper with him? He’ll be pleased. He’s between 6’3" and 6’4" and has no trouble sleeping on the XLtwin… but was mourning the loss of the memory topper:-) </p>

<p>Thanks for mentioning that - we visited twice but neglected to ask a lot of the ‘little things’.</p>

<p>Crimsonmomtobe, my son is a freshman honors, engineering, cbh. He is in Riverside West and will be back there again next year, along with about 12 other floormates. He is also tall, like robot’s son, but he’s a lot larger, if you get my drift. He’s been fine in his bedroom, so don’t be concerned about fit. I would not recommend going to Bryant, although I know it is a sought after dorm, only because one group of boys wanted to pull a friend of theirs into their suite for next year. They were unable to because the boy did not live in honors housing this year. The boy got into honors college for sophomore year, but he’s not eligible for honors dorms because he was not in honors dorms freshman year. I strongly recommend your son pick honors dorms if he can. If he makes friends in his engineering classes that are in honors housing and wants to room with them sophomore year, he won’t be able to, unless the rules change between now and then.</p>

<p>Welcome to Bama and looking forward to hearing more from you!</p>

<p>Well, DS is @ 6’1", so I’m assuming he’ll be fine. :wink: (He’s not CBHP; just UHP.)</p>

<p>Well, I would recommend Ridgecrest South North Tower (that is an Honors dorm) but my recommendation is based only on my son’s experience. It is a close walk to both Publix and “the strip”. The common kitchens and laundry facilities are also very nice. You may have seen this residence house on your tour, and most kids like the layout of the suites in Ridgecrest.
However, the common living room is smaller than at Riverside for instance. You can see suite and room layouts here:
[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm)</p>

<p>Check out each residence hall you are interested and click on floor plan for layout.</p>

<p>There are many individuals who prefer the location of other residence halls.</p>

<p>i thought my kid was going to switch to a different dorm due to the differing floorplans, but i guess when it came down to it they decided to stay where they are instead. they switched to a different room (their room was kind of wonky with one of the sink areas almost in the living room).</p>

<p>i think they like everything but the frequency of the fire alarms!</p>

<p>“i think they like everything but the frequency of the fire alarms!”</p>

<p>LOL! Several Sundays ago, during Sunday Mass, a toddler in the cry room pulled the fire alarm. I guess the kid was already prepping for college.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how notifications are made if one happens to be selected for CBHP? Is it snail mail, email, or both? Just wondering!</p>

<p>Upon looking back at past posts, it seems that, if precedent holds, they will send the notifications via snail mail. Fingers crossed until then!</p>

<p>Le us know when your results start coming in. Good luck to everyone! :)</p>

<p>OK, I k now they are on spring break now, and results aren’t supposed to be announced until the end of the month but the radio silence is killing me!!</p>

<p>I never really heard what most folks thought. I know my D had a great weekend,loved the people and thought the program would be a perfect fit. How about you (or your kids)? </p>

<p>Is there anyone that made finalist that is considering other schools? Will CHP influence your decision? Did anyone decide they weren’t interested in the program?</p>