CC African students??

<p>Hey guys...at my school, I don't seem to find that many African students taking advanced classes. Mostly, all advanced classes are over 90% white/asian with 1-2 blacks, and almost all the time they are american.
so just wanted to know, are there any African CC members out there?
Please reply...and post your stats i.e. school (college of type of high school), test scores, gpa, extracurriculars, awards etc...</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>GPA: 3.9w not sure uw maybe around 3.4ish
SAT: 1640/2400
ACT: none
APs: 6 in all ( World History, Statistics, English lit and lang, US History, Spanish Lang)
Also took all honors classes throughout high school
School: mediocre, very mediocre high school in south georgia
ECs: Key Club, Spanish Club, People to People Student Ambassador, Youth Theological Initiative at Emory University, Cheerleading (varsity) school newspaper, choir
Schools I've been accepted to: Oxford College of Emory University, Agnes Scott College, University of Georgia
Parents are from Cameroon, West Africa</p>

<p>My parents are Somalian, if that counts.</p>

<p>If I was born in America, but my family is from Malawi.... would that count?
I think it should.</p>

<p>I was born in New Jersey, but my parents were born in Sierra Leone... I'm a first-generation American</p>

<p>Stats:</p>

<ul>
<li>SAT: 2160 (790 CR, 680 M, 690 W)</li>
<li>SAT IIs: 690 Math II, 660 Literature, 660 US History</li>
<li>GPA: 4.00 Unweighted/4.37 Weighted</li>
<li>Rank: N/A (around top 2%)</li>
<li>AP Courses: World History (2 - sophomore year, I was young?), US History (4), English Lang & Comp (4), Calculus AB (4), Calculus BC, English Lit & Comp, Computer Science, Physics</li>
<li>Other stats: National Achievement Finalist, National Merit Honorable Mention, AP Scholar</li>
</ul>

<p>Schools Accepted To: </p>

<p>Stanford University, University of Southern California, UCLA, University of California Santa Barbara, UT Austin, University of Maryland College Park, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Drexel University</p>

<p>Location/Person:</p>

<ul>
<li>State or Country: MD</li>
<li>School Type: Suburban/Rural Public, lower middle class/upper low class, about 40% black</li>
<li>Gender: Female</li>
</ul>

<p>I don't think this counts, but my parents are from Nigeria, but I was born in SoCal. :/</p>

<p>I'm not African (sorry guys) but I just wanted to mention that all of the African people at my school in my grade take AP classes. Well, one of them I'm thinking about was born in America, but both of his parents are Ethiopian.
So the Ghanaian girl (who is an awesome locker partner!) takes at least 2 APs (English and Human Geog) and I think possibly 3. I know she'll be in French AP with me next year too.
The Ethiopian guy who was born in America (awesome bus riding partner for the past 5 years!) takes English AP, Chem AP, and probably some more. I think he either takes Human Geo or Economics. Oh, since you asked for other stats I think he told me he got a 186 on his PSAT. I don't know any of his other scores.
The other Ethiopian guy who recently immigrated is in Calc BC with me. Most kids in Calculus BC take a lot of other APs, so he probably does too.
There are a couple of Nigerian people in my grade but I don't know what they take. Both are advanced students though!</p>

<p>^ yeah, us africans are smartttt. represent! lol</p>

<p>my whole family is from ghana. i grew up in america, though (born in israel).
too lazy to post my stats :p</p>

<p>Im Just A Junior class of '10
Ap Calculus AB
AP American History
Chemistry Honors
English 11 Honors
Latin I Honors
Spanish 11 Honors
Theology Honors (Yeah i go to a Catholic School)
my UW GPA= 3.76
W GPA= 4.0
WITHOUT THEOLOGY
UW= 3.86
W= 4.09
Im being recruited to Caltech, Harvey Mudd, Carnegie Mellon, and MIT for sports
I love all of those schools. They're all the right ones for me.</p>

<p>Hey, I am glad to see some fellow Africans here on CC. I don't want to post stats at this point but I am African, proudly representing Kenya. Good luck to everyone. I know you will all do well.</p>

<p>i am burundian, grew up here :) first generation</p>

<p>what did you guys wrte on your essay? on sentence summary.
I will start i wrote about my african heritage and my short experience there</p>

<p>I am not a senior yet but I am also thinking about writing about my African Heritage.
How long have you lived in Africa?</p>

<p>Some people have gown up their entire lives here so they might not be able to connect and relate to their African heritage as much as others who have lived in Africa for most of their lives.</p>

<p>race64, that's exactly what i wrote about lol. that topic is money... got me into 2 Ivies ftw.</p>

<p>i lived there until i was 3 years old.</p>

<p>^ not having alot yah almost the same but another one was about the civil war.</p>

<p>
[quote]
race64, that's exactly what i wrote about lol. that topic is money... got me into 2 Ivies ftw.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>haha me too! i guess adcoms have soft spots for those kinds of essays LOL</p>

<p>I love my African heritage and I try to connect with it as much as often. Hopefully I can do that on my essays too.</p>

<p>@blu_g8orade
So it seems that you're going to Columbia. Congratulations to you! What do you like about the school so far?
I am looking at applying at some of the schools you did. If you don't mind, could you share some of the wisdom you have learned over this year's admissions cycle. Thank you. Everybody else, please feel free to respond.</p>

<p>there's definitely a lot to like. in general, i'd say the the diversity, the location (its NYC, come on now), the rich social life, the internship and research opportunities, and the quality of the education/academic rigor. also, it doesn't hurt that Columbia is a well-known and prestigious school... that will certainly benefit me later in life.</p>

<p>like we're talking about here, i think your essays are very important. the essay gives a voice to your application, and lets the admissions officers actually see who you are as a person, and how you would fit in on their campus. personally, i started my essays really late, like a couple days before Jan 1 lol.. but if i were you, now is actually not a bad time to start brainstorming about how you will put your essays together.</p>

<p>another tip i learned... don't underestimate the impact that the 1st semester of your senior year can have. my first three years of HS might have fallen short of Ivy League standards, but i took an extremely tough schedule senior year, received excellent grades, and was involved in a lot of extracurriculars. was i working harder than i ever had in my life? probably. was it tough to balance everything for that first semester? yes. but colleges look at that midyear report and see how you are able to step it up, and for me it was well worth it in the end.</p>

<p>Thanks blu_g8orade! The advice is greatly appreciated.
Columbia is a school i'm looking into for a major in political science/international relations, and it's a great school from what I've heard. I'm heading into junior year and i'm going for a rigorous schedule with balanced extra-curricular activities. I'll be studying over the summer for the PSAT & the SAT so I don't bomb them (I want to get National Merit & Achievement Awards). I'll definitely be following your advice.</p>

<p>Have fun at Columbia! =]</p>