CC Forums Migration: Known issues + Status Update

And now look at that - there are two replies from me to your post. One is unfinished and with typos, even though I never posted it that way. I hit reply, yet my response was “grayed out” so I then refreshed my page. My reply box was suddenly showing with my response still in the box, so I hit reply again w/o changing anything. So how did the weird unfinished reply show up? Yep, quirky today!

This isn’t fun (response to hitting SAVE bookmark).

Neither is posting something and having the reply box not clear after I post.

We’re on it - working hard to get it back to normal soon!

Thank you, @CC_Mike.

Just letting you all know…the blue banner is now gone…but it was there earlier!

@CC_Mike

Still there for me.

Due to extreme load, this is temporarily being shown to everyone as a logged out user would see it.>>

Still getting this on iPhone. Not on iPad

Super super slow for me on my laptop and my new post notifications aren’t going away even after I’ve read them.

I have to say that this has been a very rocky transition to this new site with way too many bugs.

3 Likes

It’s not directly related to the device. Behind the scenes there are multiple servers (web servers, database servers, data caches, etc.). If your browser gets assigned one that isn’t under load, things work fine. But another browser (even on the same device!) might get randomly assigned to another server that is overloaded. There’s not a lot users can do, unfortunately.

Our team is working on the problem. As y’all have observed, this issue keeps coming up. The trouble is when we add more resources to fix one problem, that solution might put heavier load on another server in the back end. (I don’t know all the details. This is mostly what I’ve gathered from watching the internal conversations.) Adjusting the settings in the backend is, unfortunately, tricky for annoying technical reasons.

Thanks for hanging in there with us.

1 Like

I’m getting this too on my iPhone.

This should be resolved now. In approximate timeline:

• 7:24am - extreme load issue was noticed internally and by thumper1
  • 8am - extreme load issues were resolved
  • 10:45am - load began creeping back up and spiked (less than earlier but enough for performance interruptions)
  • 10:45am - 12:45 - intermittent spikes
  • 12:45 - back to normal

The times are in the Pacific timezone.

We addressed the initial extreme load problem by allocating more resources to database services. We made further adjustments later in the day. Thanks again for your reports.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, @CC_Jon.

@CC_Jon what about the issue if getting to the forum listings? I still have to hit the orange go to forums. I cannot get to the forum listings directly from the open page.

After I hit the orange button, I get to a blank page with a header at the top. From there I then hit the little grad cap and the listings appear.

I can’t believe this is how you folks want this to be working.

iPad 8, brand new, current IOS.

And… it’s moved again (referring to this sub forum - “community”). Now it’s just kind of in the middle of everything and hard to spot. I know y’all have a lot of different things to balance but it really seems like this forum is at least as deserving of top billing as the “student lounge”. Don’t you want people to have easy access to the FAQs and system notices?

Ok…change from above. When I get to the landing page, I can now hit the hamburger and forums can be selected. That is totally new today.

And when I’m in a forum like this, I can hit the burger and tada…forums is back as a choice.

@CC_Mike @CC_Jon

Yeah. I’m moving things around a bit. My current thinking is that it’s just above the fold. Which is to say, when I visit the site as an anonymous user via a desktop browser, the CC Community forum is visible, but not the first thing people see.

I just noticed a couple of topics in the Latest column on the right side of the forum index. They show the latest posts were 8min and 9min ago, yet if you open the topic the last posts were in 2011.

I see those too and I didn’t immediately know why they are showing up in “Latest”. Then I noticed that the last reply had been deleted by the author. Doing a little more research, I discovered a recent change in the software we are using that allows us to prevent users from deleting their content. Since deletions have not been allowed in the past on CC, I’ve disabled them here. That should prevent threads from being bumped when someone deletes their reply.