CC keeps on re-setting my privacy settings to a default setting to sell my information - you too?

Hey, College Confidential! Can you fix this? I’m once again getting a default setting that CC intends to sell my information, and I keep on having to reset it to deny permission for this. Am I the only one seeing this, over and over?

Tagging @CC_Sorin and @CC_Jay

1 Like

Where can on OBSERVE such setting?
I went through my various Profile and Settings screens, and don’t see anything “privacy” related at all?

2 Likes

Where do you see this setting?

Do you mean this:

at College Confidential Forums - Admissions Discussions and Threads

Yep, and I always have to adjust the setting. I only see it when I log in from my laptop though.

Seems to be a cookie setting query, and each time I click on it to see preferences. It’s automatically reset to allow CC to sell my data, no matter how many times I slide the green bar on the right of the screen toward the left to “NO”.

1 Like

Am I blind? I can’t find anything anywhere about selling information. What exactly are you clicking on that you can see this?

1 Like

FWIW, that setting is checked off (as in: not selected) in my profile.

I can see it on my desktop PC using Chromium Edge.

@parentologist et al:
It’s not a “cookie”, it’s part of your CC profile, likely stored in their membership database.

By any chance, when you CLEAR that checkbox, did you scroll down to the bottom to click the “SAVE” button?

3 Likes

Is it possible that you are referring to an entirely different screen/setting? Even on an Apple iOS device with Safari, it’s just a checkbox, not a green bar/slider:

Is this a privacy pop-up that asks you to consent to CC using your data? I do get that from time to time.

This is the text box I see every time I log in from a laptop or desktop:

Capture

Wow. I have never seen that screen. I don’t regularly log out but occasionally it happens and I have to log in and still haven’t had that pop up. I wonder what the default is if you’ve never had the opportunity to opt out. How can you get to this to change it?

1 Like

I can opt out by sliding the radio button but my preference is not saved and the pop-up reappears the next time I log in. It’s bothersome.

Yup, that’s the one!

Uuuuhhhh, CCPA!

I wonder if that pop-up may be related to a location setting in your profile (e.g., California), or if the site is using an IP-location database to determine from where you are connecting to the Internet.

It’s the California version of similar GDPR pop-ups that’s been annoying E.U. residents for a few years.

Thanks for that screen capture - that will help the site admins @cc_jay to focus their attention to the CCPA plug-in they might be using on the site.

1 Like

Don’t know if the CC site still uses the “Undertone” service to manage their banner-ad marketing (there are some commented-out scripts in the CC site’s code referring to Undertone). If so, see if you can globally opt out here:

For California residents, here is a common opt-out for many sites:
https://optout.privacyrights.info/?c=1

https://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1

If you have a web-savvy teen living with you, who knows how to change their grades in their HS system, they might be able to tinker with your two CCPA-related cookies for the CC site manually - just to see what effect that might have - if any:

I think that this is your problem: Your preference is saved in a cookie. If you delete your cookies, you’re deleting your preference.

@CC_Stefan do you recognize that CCPA Privacy manager or is that something in his browser.

1 Like

I have not deleted my cookies. But I haven’t seen that screen pop up lately, either.