CC or Swarthmore?

<p>hey, i posted the following section a while back as i tried to narrow down the schools i was interested in. Since then i have narrowed my choices down to CC and Swarthmore (i've been accepted at both). Im waiting on my finaid package from Swat to come in, but if its similar to what i was offered at CC (which is likely) ill still be stuck. Here's a little general back ground on me (from a previous post on CC), followed by why i like/want to attend each school. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.</p>

<p>"im a freshman at UNC-Chapel Hill, but its simply not the place for me [too big academically and socially, too greek focused, too much like my home (im from NC about an hour away) and academically too focused on grades rather than learning/simply not challenging). </p>

<p>im pretty laid back, dont get too stressed out, esp about school (work). but i do take my studies seriously. i want to be somewhere that values learning, rather than simply getting good gradess; personally im not really motivated by getting an A but simply by studying what interests me (this was a big problem for me at UNC)... im trying to find a laid back atmostphere with this same approach to learning. i think im going to major in political science (theory) and english (literature and/or creative writing), so i'd definately like a school strong in one of these, and a strong writing program would be best. politically im pretty liberal, and (agreeing with Locke) feel that as long as you dont harm others, or infringe upon their rights, you should be able to do/think as you please: i definately want to go somewhere the reflects this idea; where free thinking and ideas are accepted and encouraged."</p>

<p>CC: block plan; in Colorado > enjoy outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, etc); seemed like everyone was relaxed and laid back, foucused on learning but not obsessive over grades/school</p>

<p>Swarthmore: diverse > tons of different types of people who seem open to everyone around them; a slight edge in academics (over CC); close of Philadelphia but still in a smaller setting; seemed like everyone was laid back, but still (overly?) focused/obsessed on/with school</p>

<p>thanks for the help.</p>

<p>Based upon your post I would think both schools would offer you a great
academic experience. Many years ago I attended a selective east coast LAC and even back then Swathmore had the reputation of relying less on the "holistic approach" in admissions and accepting only the most intellectual applicants as shown by their grades and test scores. My S is a freshman at CC and I would argue that CC is more laidback and outdoorsy. Philly certainly has more to offer than Colorado Springs. CC has an intellectual and diverse student body but they are probably less outwardly focused on solely academics than Swarthmore. Good luck with your decision !</p>

<p>I recently went through the process you're experiencing trying to decide between, vassar, hamilton, whitman and others. Dad went to Princeton so he knows the Swathmore, Philly scene and the local recreational opportunities which are vastly different as well as the culture. I was stuck for a while with the overall impression of academics and prestige associated with the east coast schools and came to the conclusion cc was a perfect fit, strong academics, amazing outdoor acess, block plan and in particular compared to my visit at Swarthmore and several other schools less competitive among students for grades. That is not to say academics is less rigourous it's that the students do not get hung up on how they were doing compared with their classmates. I still get a few stares from family on the east coast who are less familiar with cc but I'm thirlled to get started. Also during my visit to cc I felt welcome and at home they really went out of their to show me all aspects of the college.
Good luck to you.</p>

<p>My impression is that Swarthmore is higher ranked, more prestigious, probably has more intense academics, and in general is more all-round intense. (It is interesting to me how persistent college cultures are. I went to college approximately when the earth cooled........and I didn't apply to Swarthmore because I didn't want the intensity.)</p>

<p>The number one thing to consider at CC is, of course, the block plan. Love it or leave it.</p>

<p>CC offers great academics and a balanced lifestyle of sports, arts, outdoors activities, and partying.</p>

<p>bct1989, Swarthmore is a wonderful school, but you sound more like a Colorado College person to me.</p>

<p>Now I went to college before the earth cooled, and wound up at a school that was similarly intense. Still love the place, and my son is smarter than I am, but I was not about to wish the same experience on him. He's headed for CC.</p>

<p>I think canadianmom described it perfectly ....."a balanced lifestyle....."
My son rode home to the midwest with three girls headed to the east coast. They spent
3 days with us and their personalities were three more confirmations of everything
posted on this thread.... bright and intellectual (but not intense or self-impressed),
outdoorsy, friendly, mature, well rounded, and laidback. They all love the block plan...</p>

<p>@bct1989 : Have you been taken off the waitlist in both schools ?</p>

<p>no, i was accepted forthright at both schools. thanks for the feedback. its greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>I thought you had to decide by now??</p>

<p>OP is a transfer candidate, right?
So the decisions are not on the same schedule as freshman admissions.</p>

<p>i had to wait a little extra (may 15) to hear back from swarthmore about admission, then about another week before i got my finaid package. but ill be going to cc next fall. thanks for the replies.</p>

<p>Congratulations and welcome! Hope you are happy with the results.</p>

<p>Bct, my son turned down an ivy league school for CC. The reason was that he really wanted something different; was feeling burned out after all of these years of juggling different classes and trying to do well. He wanted to focus on whatever he was studying to decide what he liked and did not like. He just felt very hurried at school. He also was not as comfortable at a rigorous high school where the kids were very directed and felt that the east coast mainstream name recognition schools were going to be very similar in that environment. He loved CC when he visited it and it became his first choice school.</p>

<p>He has finished his first year and could not be happier. All expectations fulfilled.</p>