CC -> University

<p>Hi! I just graduated from HS, and I was on my way to college for nursing, but I had panic attack and I realized I wasn't ready to go off to college yet. I decided to take a gap year to get a job, do things that I wanted to do but didn't have time for, and most importantly take online courses. The online courses I would take are GEN ED such as Psychology, English, Chemistry, ETC for the PREREQS of the nursing major. I'll be considered a transfer student for the Fall of 2014, and I was going to apply to Seton Hall, Richard Stockton, Rutgers (for nursing and nutrition), and SUNY Stony Brook. People have told me that I made an extremely stupid decision, and it's going to be even harder to become a nurse. What do you guys think? Is my plan a good idea, or am I missing something? Also, what are some other colleges with a good nursing program in NJ, NYC, or PA that I could apply to? Anymore tips or recommendations? Thank you!</p>

<p>I forgot, my high schools stats were (IDK if I have to provide that when I apply this fall):
3.68 Cumulative GPA
490 Critical Reading, 520 Math, 520 Writing</p>

<p>I’ll refer you back to the following thread:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/1457331-cc-then-transfer-uni.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/1457331-cc-then-transfer-uni.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Now that attending a direct entry program is off the table, I think you should contact your local CCs and find out whether any of them have a BSN arrangement with a 4 year college. After you are done with the CC program (provided you meet all requirements) you can finish up your BSN at the 4 year college. </p>

<p>Transferring into most BSN programs is usually more difficult than entering as a freshman. Hopefully someone knows which colleges are exceptions.</p>

<p>I will not agree with those people that said you “made an extremely stupid decision”. If you were not ready then waiting until you are is preferable to failing and trying to overcome that. You can still become a nurse using the CC method (many, MANY have done so), it will just require slightly different path.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Thanks for replying!</p>

<p>The community colleges I was looking at for online and class courses do not offer nursing for ASN or BSN (I’m not in the same area as a stated in the previous thread.) So, for now, I was going to complete the general classes, and hope to successfully transfer into a uni. I wouldn’t mind going to a non-direct entry school which would be easier to get into as pre nursing. </p>

<p>I’m just scared that I’ll never get my BSN or license because I chose not to go this year. Is my plan decent?</p>

<p>Many people take extra time to get a nursing degree. If you felt you would not be ready for a full college schedule, sometimes it is better to get adjusted to it by going to school part-time. </p>

<p>I think you might have a difficult time getting into Rutgers and Stony Brook with those SAT scores. If you do well in your initial college courses, that can make it easier to transfer. Actual college course grades usually take precedence over SAT scores.</p>

<p>There are some community colleges that set you up to be a RN with an associate’s degree. You can then later get your bachelors degree (sometimes with financial assistance from your employer, if you go to school part-time). Many colleges have RN to BSN programs. </p>

<p>You also might look at a school such as Thomas Jefferson University in Phila. They offer a 2 year nursing program after you complete 2 years of prereqs. elsewhere.</p>

<p>Last year, I got into Rutgers, but not for nursing. I’m going to apply into SEBS for Nutritional Sciences, and the School of Nursing. I really like Rutgers, so I might go there for Nutritional Sciences because I wouldn’t mind being a dietician either.</p>

<p>What courses should I take the first semester and the second semester to transfer to a Uni for nursing? Is it true that you aren’t able to take more than four courses at a time? If I take these courses, will I be able to transfer easily?</p>

<p>I’ve heard bad things about Thomas Jefferson Uni.</p>

<p>Other people have reported on this website that Rutgers-New Brunswick’s nursing program is unusually competitive. </p>

<p>Take a look at the 4 year curriculum of a couple colleges where you would like to transfer into, in order to see what classes you should take. For schools with 2-2 programs, they will typically list the required prerequisites on their website.</p>

<p>Yeah, I’ve heard, and I didn’t get into the program last year. I was thinking of applying to the Newark campus as well since it seemed easier to get into. If I completed some PREREQS with a decent GPA, do you think I’ll have a better chance?</p>

<p>Did you major in nursing? If so, what courses did you take the first and second semester of your first year?</p>

<p>Rutgers College of Nursing has just started a new 4 year BSN Program at Camden County Community College in Blackwood, NJ. Students enter the CC as pre-Nursing majors and take a defined curriculum to prepare them to apply to the Rutgers College of Nursing for the last two years (I believe a minimum GPA of 3.2 in the first two years is required), which are also completed at the CC location. You get a BSN from Rutgers College of Nursing if you complete the whole Program. This is one of the most economical ways of obtaining a BSN at one of the top Nursing BSN Programs in the Northeast, if not in the country. If you go to the web site for this Program it lists the courses students are expected to take during the first two years. This would give you good information about the pre-nursing courses you should be taking if you are interested in trying to transfer to any of the Rutgers College of Nursing locations. Good luck.</p>