CC vs University of Denver

<p>I got into the honors program with a good scholarship at Denver and also got into Colorado College. Can someone help me decide the merits of passing up my scholarship at Denver?</p>

<p>What’s the out-of-pocket cost difference after aid? Can your family afford the difference?</p>

<p>CC is a richer, more selective school, with somewhat smaller classes and a more distinctive academic program. You do have to decide if the block plan is right for you. Have you visited both?</p>

<p>We’re just getting started, as our son is a junior, but we visited both CC and DU this week. DU sure <em>looks</em> a lot richer. What do you want to study?</p>

<p>While the scholarship is a real bonus, I can attend both schools without the aid. I have visited them both and felt they would both fit. I am leaning toward International Studies and was very impressed with Denver. Am still not sold on the block plan as I have a tendancy to over-think my work but in sitting in on a class at CC, the professor was great-the class was very dynamic.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Endowments
Colorado College: $400.5M for 2,011 students
Denver: $269.9M for 11,644 students
(Source: Wikipedia)</p>

<p>tk21769,</p>

<p>Interesting … but that was my impression, based on both the facilities and how the students looked.</p>

<p>I’ve never visited UofD so I can’t speak to their facilities. I’d agree that the CC facilities (especially the library and athletic facilities) are not consistently impressive. They have started a rather ambitious building program, though. They have new science and arts facilities.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what you mean by “how the students looked”. At nearly any college, including the most expensive and selective ones, you’ll see some fairly grungy-looking students. :)</p>

<p>Sure the kids at Colorado looked a bit grungy but every kid had a smile on their face and a great attitude, even when they were waiting in line at the break time at the one coffee shop! However, everyone had a positive outlook on their day-and the professors that I met were really engaging. Denver’s library is being closed for a YEAR next term and the Business program is in shambles.</p>

<p>collegeboys,</p>

<p>What do you mean about the Business program at DU being in shambles? Someone made a similar remark to me in passing last week, but I didn’t get to follow up.</p>

<p>Lukemeister,</p>

<p>On my tour last month the tour guide said that starting in the fall that students cannot take business classes unless they are in the business program as they are trying to “clean up the mess”. Not sure what mess she was referring too-not interested in being a major but would certainly like the option of taking some business classes.</p>

<p>I was just wondering - is there a major difference in the student bodies between these two schools? I visited CC in February and found the students to be so nice, although I didn’t get to visit DU…I’ve heard that the students at DU are somewhat snobby? Is this true? Is there more of an intellectual atmosphere at CC?</p>

<p>I personally prefer DU, but my best friend is going to CC. Both CC and DU have many students that come from backgrounds with money, and both have students who don’t. Some say that DU has a snobby air, but others say CC is full of “trustafarians” who have trust funds but like to act like they don’t, rebel by smoking pot, etc. I don’t really think those stereotypes are fair. It’s what you like as far as academics/athletics. Both have very distinctive academic programs, and CC’s block schedule may be a selling point for some, and a turnoff point for others. I know that I don’t like CC because of the block. But both schools have a great reputation within the Colorado community, and in other places. As is true with most things, it is what you make it. So if you’re scared of DU being an elitist institution, then that’s what you will find. If you focus on the fact that CC may have pot-smoking trust fund kids, that’s what you’ll find. But if you go into it with an open mind, you’ll find curious, intellectual students like you who are going to college and not sure what to expect. CC is smaller, and there isn’t the feel of a University, which can be really nice. But both have wonderful options for finding groups that you can fit into based on your interests.
And the library at DU is under construction, and is opening this fall. It’s going to be so much better and much more sustainable (if environmentalism is a concern for you).
All in all, it’s really up to you. Both are great institutions in Colorado, and both will give you an exceptional education. Don’t forget that it’s also what you contribute to the school!</p>

<p>CC is the better option in my opinion. My words are biased tohugh, since I am applying to CC :)</p>

<p>I just noticed that the original post was from last spring. I am interested in where you ended up collegeboys. I also received a scholarship to UD but I am attending CC next fall! I think both are great schools, but CC has more of the type of people I was looking for.</p>

<p>If you look at earlier posts, it appears that Collegeboys is a parent, not a student.</p>

<p>Our son visited and liked both DU and CC. He’s been accepted to DU with a nice scholarship and is still waiting to hear from CC. They’re both well-regarded schools in Colorado. DU has more of an urban flavor, with a light rail stop to downtown Denver on campus. Both have great hockey teams. CC is smaller and Colorado Springs has a small town feel to it, so if you’re a city person, you’d probably like DU better. CC has smaller class sizes and uses the Block Plan, which is very unique. CC students really seem to like the Block Plan, but it’s non-traditional and might not be for everyone. The students at both schools seemed very friendly and down-to-earth. CC’s admission rate is much lower than DU’s, so it’s harder to get into. We were surprised to learn that 82% of the CC students are NOT from Colorado, which is pretty cool.</p>

<p>[DU</a> Student Profiles | University of Denver](<a href=“http://www.du.edu/explore/studentprofiles.html]DU”>Factbook | Institutional Research & Analysis | University of Denver)
[Colorado</a> College | Class of 2014 Profile](<a href=“http://www2.coloradocollege.edu/welcome/CCFacts/profile.asp]Colorado”>http://www2.coloradocollege.edu/welcome/CCFacts/profile.asp)</p>

<p>CC all the way!</p>