CCers in T-Town August 2013

<p>Our entire family is making a trip of it - DD1 doesn’t go back to school till the 19th and has never seen UA or been to AL, so she wanted to come. So, with a very full rental van, our trip itinerary will be:</p>

<p>Leave the 7th. Enjoy an evening in Nashville on the way down (great food and music. and cocktails), arrive T Town early am on the 8th - move in is scheduled for the early afternoon. DD2 will stay and work on her perfect room plan. Rest of the family will head to B’ham (staying in a hotel there) and pick up items ordered from BB&B, plus do any last minute shopping. Hopefully we can settle back at the end of the day with a cocktail. Or two.</p>

<p>We will drive back to T Town, take DD out to breakfast, find out if there is any loose ends to tie up, head out for lunch, press MORE money into DD2’s hand, then leave early afternoon back to WI. Trip back will be another leisurely one.</p>

<p>I expect that when we reach IL DH will be gobsmacked with the reality that his baby is gone. Many cocktails will be required when we finally get back home…</p>

<p>Did someone say cocktails?? </p>

<p>I am a world-famous (okay, maybe just local-famous) martini mixer. I guess, TXA, I will have to bring my jumbo pink martini shaker for a gathering at our condo/cottage during the week!!</p>

<p>We will arrive on the evening of 8/1 and depart after lunch on 8/4. We would love to get together with everyone who will be there then and would like to meet up. Maybe we can congregate in the food court and stare at the (closed) gate of Fresh Foods… <grin></grin></p>

<p>But, in all seriousness, there are some great spots in town as well. I happen to be a big fan of Mellow Mushroom’s Pizza, and DePalma’s has some of the best Italian I have had in recent memory. I think we are going to be pretty busy on the morning of 8/2 doing the actual move, but after that the goal is to relax and enjoy as much as we can. So, whatever works for the group will probably work for us.</p>

<p>After that, we won’t be back until Parent’s Weekend. I’d be lying if I said I was going to miss the hustle and bustle of the “traditional” move-in weekend.</p>

<p>Hi. Thought I would add a couple. We enjoyed FIVE for a Jazz Sunday Brunch before dropping off our DS for BB. Also, Chuck’s Fish is good and if you like sushi - has that in addition to other offerings. Try the Waysider for breakfast for the best biscuits ever and it is fun strolling the strip and eating in one of the pubs, too. I second DePalmas and am amazed at how the downtown has grown since I attended UA!</p>

<p>DH and I will be there for move-in on the 8th and then the whole family will be back for Bid Day. If you all are planning a road trip to Atlanta during the week of Rush, let me know!</p>

<p>We will be there with the whole family from the evening of the 16th until the afternoon of the 18th, I would love to try to get together!</p>

<p>Thanks for the input, I think I was pretty much thinking what the sentiment is here. We will arrive on the 7th, late in the afternoon. He has move in on the 8th in the early am, then he starts practice at noon on the 8th. He will have rehearsals from 8:00 or 8:30am each day until almost 10 pm with breaks for lunch and dinner. So, he won’t have time to do any shopping or get organized. I will probably stay to make a list, hit the local stores and get that done for him. He won’t have transportation, so I’ll probably stay a couple of days just in case he discovers something else and then head home.<br>
I was looking at the dining hall schedules for that time…looks like something is open for lunch and dinner (unfortunately, their dinner break is at a different time), but it doesn’t look like any are open for breakfast…</p>

<p>Txbama, is your son doing MDB?</p>

<p>How about dinner and drinks at the Mellow Mushroom on the night of August 1st?<br>
It’s laidback, great pizza, great selection of local AL brews, and can handle a large gathering.</p>

<p>Can I just say, compared to all of my friends, Alabama is the ONLY college that I know the parents are meeting and hanging out and the kids are not all from the same school. I think it is AWESOME!</p>

<p>Missread-- yes he is. Do you have one in band?</p>

<p>Missread-- sorry, I just remembered that you had posted a while back on another thread that you did have one in the MDB.</p>

<p>The manchild is moving himself from East Edge to the Lofts. But…he’s now 21. Should I send him to cocktail hour as my representative? ;)</p>

<p>Txbama mom, just sent you a PM.</p>

<p>Mere-mom – Our entire family will be doing the move-in with rental van as well. </p>

<p>We are doing a family vaca and staying near Asheville NC for a few days before driving into T-Town for 8/9 move in.</p>

<p>Hey Everyone…I cannot believe that it is already time for move in! We are rolling into T-Town on the evening of the 31st. D can move into East Edge at 1pm on July 1st. We are leaving town on Saturday the 3rd around noon. heading to Nashville for 2 days of BBQ & country music…so excited. Older D is coming with us and is talking to UA about Grad School…would love to have both girls there at the same time and graduate the same year! </p>

<p>Let me know if anything is planned for the 1st…we will be there. Might not be pretty after moving D into 3rd floor apartment, but I surely will be in need of wine!</p>

<p>FIRST MEETING:</p>

<p>Friday, August 9th</p>

<p>Mystic Mushroom downtown TTown (gluten-free pizza available)</p>

<p>6:15 pm til whenever ( coincides with Convocation)</p>

<p>Dinner and adult beverages.</p>

<p>How about Aug 1st at Mellow Mushroom</p>

<p>We will be there</p>

<p>Going to start a thread that is just for posting get together planned and rsvp</p>

<p>We are arriving the 7th and I have a room booked thru the 15th. A little longer than I had planned, but we have family in B’ham that want to come to Tuscaloosa and visit. Of course, between now and then I may change the leave date.</p>

<p>We are arriving on the 16th and I am flying out Sunday evening - the 18th. Son is a sophomore this year so just he and I are driving down from Illinois in his car and I will fly back - husband can’t get off work. It’s a little long to be in town but son is moving into The Lofts and I figure we’ll probably have to do some Target and food runs since he seems quite unsure about what is in this apartment - or what his other roommates have. I would have liked to have flown out Sunday a.m. but the only direct flight on SW to Chicago is 7 a.m. - getting to the airport at 5 a.m.? Nah. And I am fine with some downtime alone in a hotel room…</p>

<p>We will be moving DS in the morning of the 16th. Leaving the next afternoon to hopefully head to Nashville to catch a show at the Grand Ole Opry. Would love to meet up during our day there though. DS is in RCS.</p>