Cell Phone Reception @ U of Miami (Florida)

<p>I would appreciate any advice from current students or others in the know about cell phone reception on the UM campus. S has been accepted and UM seems to be his top choice. Since he needs a new phone and his year has expired, I want to consider switching to a company that has good service there. I have already asked the folks I know who might know, and it seems that most people have Verizon or Sprint. Is that the general consensus among CCers too? Thanks.</p>

<p>Our whole family needed a different cell provider, so when we moved the boy down we checked em all out. It came down to Nextel or Verizon. Verizon won (only because at the time Nextel didn't offer no long distance, no roaming charges nationwide which his dad and I needed.) We have been very happy with it. There are two Verizon offices very close to campus (one just off Dixie Hwy and one up on the "Miracle Mile", if I remember correctly just off LeJune. Good coverage area Florida-wide. The only thing that I would recommend is making sure that you live in a Verizon area. CaneGuy went home to Illinois to see some friends and our old homestead was not in a Verizon area so he DID get hit with some roaming charges, so make sure he won't get hit with high charges when they come home to visit that first time, because believe me.....that first holiday they come back home all they do is make and receive phone calls from their new friends at UM. :)</p>

<p>On another note wish....I just got a posting from UM about your son's admitted class. 18,300 applicants and the SAT scores went up again an avg. of 10 points. UM just keeps getting stronger and stronger. Congrats again!</p>

<p>Thanks, 1tcm. Verizon seems to have the best nationwide coverage and our area is covered.</p>

<p>Would love more details on the 18,300 applicants. Since they are still in the midst of early decision, how can they already know the SAT profile? Or are they talking just about applicants?</p>

<p>There was a report in the student newspaper.....you can read it on line by looking up The Hurricane (name of the paper) through the umiami.edu site. I'd post the link but I don't think the mods here allow us to post links.....sorry.</p>