Cell phone service

<p>I'd appreciate feedback if there is good AT&T service on campus and in Madison. Daughter needs a new phone and we want to make sure the service is good. This affects the phone decision...</p>

<p>I think all major companies have strong service in Madison. It’s not East Podunk.</p>

<p>Other daughter went to school in LA where her cell service was horrible. Cities don’t always equal great service depending on the provider. Hence I’m hoping for some input from someone who has used AT&T there.</p>

<p>All I know is that t-mobile blows. I have had so many dropped calls than Troy Williamson has dropped balls.</p>

<p>[Cell</a> Phone Coverage Map in Madison, WI - Page 1 of 9 - CellReception.com](<a href=“http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/wi/madison/page1.html]Cell”>Madison, WI Carrier Reviews & Coverage Maps | CellReception)</p>

<p>I’ve heard T-Mobile is awful, especially in dorms. I have Verizon and it works for the most part except in some buildings. I don’t know many people who have AT&T but I think for the most part service is okay. UW has some really old buildings that cell phone signals just can’t seem to get through, though. Around town however you should be fine.</p>

<p>I have AT&T and I’ve had very good coverage and few problems overall.</p>

<p>Would you recommend T-Mobile users to switch? I don’t wanna have to go outside to have any signal!!</p>

<p>I know people who have T-Mobile and they survive, it just doesn’t work as well as other carriers. Just move your phone closer to the window :D</p>

<p>Son has AT&T. Works for him just about anywhere.</p>

<p>I really appreciate the feedback everyone - thanks! I just want to make sure we’re not hearing complaints about cell service when all we want is to hear from our college student! FYI, I did read numerous complaints about cell service lacking in southern Wisconsin. Time for some more cell towers perhaps?</p>

<p>I have T-Mobile because I am from Minnesota, and it is absolutely awful in Madison. I rarely have service inside buildings unless they are over 5 stories up. I would definitely not recommend T-Mobile.</p>

<p>RoxSox, it’s not as simple as moving a phone next to a window. Trust my I tried, it works for 5 minutes and then it will still get dropped. YES for the love of god switch your cellphone provider if possible. But, remember AT&T has just bought T-Maybe, so I don’t know if you want to wait to see if T-Maybe’s coverage is extended through the AT&T networks, or just go ahead and switch now. If your contract is over I would switch, if you got a few months left, maybe wait it out and see what happens.</p>

<p>I know you asked about AT&T…which I don’t know anything about. I have, however been a U.S. Cellular user as long as I’ve had a cellphone and find that they have very good coverage anywhere in the Madison area. Many of my friends and kid’s friends have the same (while at UW).</p>

<p>My son has US Cellular and it has always worked terrifically. I have an iPhone/AT&T and it seems like every time I go to Madison to visit my son, or on business, or for sports, it frustrates the heck out of me. It seems like the AT&T service overloads whenever there’s a big event (football/basketball/the occasional mass protest) going on. YMMV.</p>

<p>I have T-Mobile and it works fine in town when I’m there. Usually use it from my hotel room to call home.</p>

<p>Not sure if it has been mentioned,</p>

<p>[New</a> campus cellphone antenna system nears completion | News | DoIT | University of Wisconsin - Madison](<a href=“http://www.doit.wisc.edu/news/story.aspx?filename=1489]New”>http://www.doit.wisc.edu/news/story.aspx?filename=1489)</p>

<p>Looks like AT&T will be the best for 2012…</p>

<p>Many phone services used by many students. Verizon among them. Hills and brick/concrete buildings can block signals. The new system mentioned above refers to AT&T but also mentions Verizon will be doing it also. The improvements for AT&T may bump them from worse than average to being with the rest of the options in quality…</p>