Chadbourne Question

<p>If you live in Chadbourne, do you have to participate in the residential college aspect? And, how does that actually work? You take classes in the dorm? The website doesn't give many details. My son likes the location and size of that dorm, but isn't sure about the "learning community" part. Will he have classes out of the dorm?</p>

<p>Being in the residential community mostly just means you have access to a lot of stuff and special things (like classes, meetings, talks, activities) are offered, but you don’t have to participate. It’s just basic things too that are nice no matter what, like free food and stuff. There are lots of activities but it’s always your choice to participate or not.</p>

<p>You have classes all over campus, there are just a few classes in Chadbourne that are just for Chadbourne students (but you don’t have to take them). I barely participated in the residential college part, I just treated it like a regular dorm. The activities felt a little too “summer-camp” for me, kind of dorky. I liked the location and facilities so it was a good choice for me, and I don’t think the residential college aspect of it should stop anyone from trying to live there. Only thing is that they tend to be a bit strict on partying, though that doesn’t stop some people.</p>

<p>You should plan to participate in at least lectures and some trips. Otherwise you are not living up to the idea. Classes-optional.</p>

<p>I mean, it’s only like $200 more or something like that, so it’s not a big deal if you don’t participate. It is a very nice and convenient dorm…I just happened to find all the activities kind of lame, personally. But by all means if you want to live there just for the location and facilities (they are very nice) I definitely recommend it. Lots of people live there and don’t participate in anything.</p>

<p>Perhaps they need to do more screening than just taking extra money. The idea of CRC and the other RCs is to be much more than just a convenient dorm for people who can afford to pay more.</p>

<p>They have a bunch of things that you can do like speakers, interest groups, etc. They are completely optional. Because you pay an extra fee for the living community, they may have discounted prices for group trips to see theater events or something like that. I don’t really go because nothing is very interesting to me. Some of the dorm activities they do are very similar to other dorms, like “study parties, socials, etc” THey also host events that will allow people from other dorms to come visit too. Chad is also really great cuz its a great location and you basically have everything u need in the building but u do pay more for it. The rooms cost more than other double rooms in different dorms as well as the living community fee. The rooms are also said to be the smallest rooms out of all the other dorms. But if you want a good location, definitely the best place to go. In terms of the RC aspect, I don’t think it differs too much from other dorms</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! Your comments have helped alot. There are alot of things about that dorm that really appeal to him… Thanks for clearing some things up.</p>

<p>Chadbourne Residential College:</p>

<p>Some of the activities this year included Brewers baseball game, Great America Trip, Lion King at the Overture Center, Peking Acrobats at the Overture Center (this weekend), Skiing at Tyrol Basin. No extra fee for any of these activities for CRCers</p>

<p>Also, a wonderful opportunity only for CRCers is the 2 credit class and (subsidized) volunteer trip to the Dominican Republic. About 40 students, along with adult leaders will travel to the Dominican Republic through Outreach 360 to volunteer at an orphanage in either health education, sustainability or English education over Spring Break. CRC received a grant from UW to be able to offer this class. Accepted students pay only $450, directly to Outreach 360 as a donation and $9 for UW health insurance. All other costs (except passport and some meals in transit) are covered by the grant, including the flight.</p>

<p>Remember that barrons is an alumnus and doesn’t know personally what current students experience. Also remember some of us are parents and likewise have a different viewpoint. Chad may have many opportunities but they may or may not be for you- the location and other factors may make the extra cost worth it even if you don’t choose to participate in the activities. Living there apparently doesn’t force you to do things. RoxSox and jenny1penny have first hand experience and can tell it like it is from a student perspective.</p>

<p>So excited to see my daughter tonight - she has been in the Dominican Republic with 40 other students from Chad volunteering at an orphanage (working in the areas of sustainability, English education and Public Health) during Spring Break. CRC has such wonderful opportunities for the students!</p>