Chance a kid with low GPA for SC & SB

<p>3.0 GPA - 3.1-3.2 weighted
1650 SAT - 1730 superscored
Varsity Lacrosse 2 years
Vice President of cooking club
50+ hours of community service
essays explaining how i was almost diagnosed with cancer, how i overcame it, etc.</p>

<p>from California.</p>

<p>Highly unlikely in today’s competitive environment. You will probably be limited to Merced and Riverside.</p>

<p>btw: how can one be “almost” diagnosed with anything, and what is there to “overcome”? (Not trying to be picky or nosy, but just be careful about how your essay reads. If that was my reaction, it could be viewed similarly by adcoms who have had friends and relatives who HAVE been diagnosed with cancer and other debilitating diseases.)</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>What about AP classes, SAT II tests etc?</p>

<p>SB is probably a reach, but SC maybe not. I really depends on your major, etc.</p>

<p>Can you raise your grades a bit more in the next few months?</p>

<p>I’d say UCSC is a low reach…maybe mid reach for you. UCSB is a very high reach. What I would be worried about is your GPA. Also, the UC’s don’t superscore the SAT if I recall…</p>

<p>You should be able to get in Merced no problem but then again, with the whole budget issue nowadays, I wouldn’t even dare to call that a guarantee.</p>

<p>Oh btw, you cannot “almost” be diagnosed with cancer. It just wouldn’t be a good statement.</p>

<p>According to UCStatfinder, UCSC accepts <20% of applicants with those stats. Then account for the fact that some/many of these are low income, first gen, or have another UC plus factor.</p>