Chance a rising senior planning on majoring in physics [CA, 4.0/1510]

Some nice outdoor/climbing opportunities in Tucson, too.

1 Like

I disagree with the premise of ranking them solely by median salary, since there is no way to know if those kids are getting their jobs actually in Physics. Also, cost of living differences will tend to favor salaries on the east and west coasts.

2 Likes

Regardless of OP’s interest in playing volleyball, I still think the 4 schools mentioned in the earlier post would be worthy of consideration if OP is desirous of something other than a California public (be it due to size or location). OP hasn’t commented on that part, however, which is why I haven’t provided any other suggestions. If OP’s happy with the current list, it looks good to me.

1 Like

That’s fair. Someone posted a top phd schools. They’re on that as well.

Their rep in physics and physics / astronomy is well known as is CU Boulder but much more expensive. I put the report because most will think - UC trumps all or is cheaper than all and in certain disciplines it’s a flawed argument. Of course there are many aspects of physics so perhaps that should be looked at too to ensure the chosen school has the right aspects of curriculum.

UCSC is well thought of as well.

1 Like

A lot of BA/BS and PhD graduates in physics do not get jobs in physics, although they may get jobs in somewhat adjacent areas (e.g. some kinds of engineering in more theoretical / engineering science areas and where PE licensing is not needed) or other areas where their quantitative or logical skills are important (finance, computing). High school teaching of physics or math is another route (but typically needs additional teacher education / credentialing).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.