Chance a Transfer

<p>Heyas, I'm currently trying to get into Madison as my first and only transfer choice for Fall 2010. Here are my stats:</p>

<p>GPA: 3.97
Credits: 62</p>

<p>I'm currently a sophomore at a low-tier university in an adjacent state and I'm looking to move up. I also have a recommendation from a Princeton PhD whom I've become very close with and about 20 assorted ECs, ranging from student government to tutoring.</p>

<p>Also, does anyone have any idea about transferring to Madison for the Spring semester? And would I hurt myself by taking the fall semester off should I be rejected?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>With a 3.97 GPA I would think you should get in without any problems. I was accepted as a transfer student with a 3.4 GPA, although Madison does tend to be more lenient in accepting in state students and transfer students from the UW system, both of which were in my favor. I had two letters of recommendations from professors at my old school.</p>

<p>Transferring to Madison in the Spring semester is definitely doable. It’s what I did, including many others that I met during my SOAR session. I attended my previous school for the Fall semester, making sure I took classes that would transfer to Madison using the UW Transfer Wizard. Unfortunately it only works for the UW system as far as I know, so you wouldn’t be able to verify what classes would transfer.</p>

<p>As a general rule of thumb though, Madison does not like to transfer classes that are “higher level” at your current institution (300 level or 400 level classes usually). These classes either won’t give you credit or will be “downgraded” to a lower level equivalent or even elective credits. So if you can, take gen ed classes or lower level classes in a department.</p>

<p>Hope that helps=)</p>

<p>Yes, that helps a great amount, thanks!</p>

<p>As for my personal worries. I’ve progressed naturally in academic rigor, however, I have not taken a math class since 12th grade (Algebra II with an A-), and no foreign language. Right now I’m considering (if rejected) taking the fall semester off and interning for a political campaign in Green Bay, WI where my parents live, reapplying for the spring. I’m not necessarily worried so much about credit transfer, though, as I have my heart set on being a Badger. I should also mention that I’m a political science major and will be hopefully entering L&S at Madison.</p>

<p>I was deferred with a 3.81 GPA after 29 credits because of poor HS math grades, I just need a 3.0 this semester and im an auto-admit, I think you should be just fine.</p>

<p>Thanks! More relief. </p>

<p>Another issue to note. </p>

<p>I applied after the extended transfer deadline. How much bearing does this have on admission, considering only an average of 40-50% matriculation (for most schools)? I feel that my personal essays were very focused, personal, and strong (Madison is my only application, if I can’t get in I’ll either go back to my school or wait a semester).</p>

<p>Applying during the extended deadline should not make a difference. This year they did not recieve as many transfer apps as they usually expect so I don’t think you have anything to worry about, just wait for that acceptance.</p>