chance a urm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please. =)

<p>Hey there! </p>

<p>I am a rising senior and I just wanted to know if I have any chance at USC. </p>

<p>Here are my Stats....</p>

<p>Rigorus School Type: Competitive public
Race/Gender: African American/Female
Prospective Major: Political Science/Public Policy (tentative)
Unweighted GPA: 3.6 (school doesnt w gpas)
Class rank: top 19%
Also took spanish for 4 years</p>

<p>SAT I Scores 1630 (I WILL RETAKE) hoping for 1800 or higher</p>

<p>By the time I graduate I will have taken 7 AP classes and basically rest are Pre-AP.</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:
Key Club President (actually in the club for all of HS)
National Honor Society
Varsity Tennis (all of HS)
Peer Mentor
Amharic Class (can read and write and speak this language fluently now.. Official Lang of Ethiopia)
Dance Lessons
Clark County Youth Commission (internship...represent the youth in city council.. help come up with laws to benifit the youth)
A TON OF COMMUNITY SERVICE
and for what its worth...I babysit my bro and sister.=)</p>

<p>Essay... not sure but I have some really good ideas mostly about my heritiage... took a trip to Ethiopia last summer and I have an interesting background.</p>

<p>I will have some really good recs. </p>

<p>I am passionate about everything that I do and I truly work hard... but are these stats enough to get me into my top choice USC????? How much does being a URM help?</p>

<p>Any opinion helps or suggestions of other schools... Thank you so much!!!</p>

<p>come on! please help me out =( !!!</p>

<p>Looking through your stats, the greatest issue seems to be your SAT score. If you look at the entering class of 2008 freshmen, their middle % SAT composite score for accepted students was 1960-2230. Therefore it would make sense for you to raise your composite score 200+ points to be competitive with test scores.</p>

<p>I would recommend taking one or more SAT IIs in order to further buff up your testing and demonstrate proficiency in case SATs don’t come out well in the fall. Technically USC only requires SAT IIs for home schooled students, however, the official undergraduate admissions faq says they recommend them for typical students.</p>

<p>Your gpa of 3.6 also looks like it is fine considering the fact that the average accepted gpa of the class of 2012 was a 3.8. The fact that you attend a competitive high school and have pursued a rigorous course load of AP classes, combined with your URM status should mean you are in good shape.</p>

<p>Speaking of AP courses, how did you AP test scores turn out?</p>

<p>Finally you have better than average extracurriculars in which you demonstrate sustained commitment and leadership.</p>

<p>So to sum it up id say once you fix the SAT score issue you should be a competitive candidate at USC. </p>

<p>Sorry for the novel im really bored in the hotel before I do college tours tomorrow.</p>

<p>that was really helpful thanks! my ap test scores were bad. so i think i will just stick with the sat IIs.
do you know if any other schools that would suit me and be easier for me to get into for a saftey?</p>

<p>oh my goodness you speak amharic.</p>

<p>congrats!
its such a tough language i’ve been attempting to learn for years…</p>

<p>denanesh?</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>and as far as your stats go I don’t know too much about USC. Getting your SAT up will be crucial though, try the ACT you may have better luck!</p>

<p>denanaying! anchi denanesh?</p>

<p>wow it is super hard to write that in english. hahahha
and yeah its a really tough to learn especially the speaking… you’ll get it though!</p>

<p>i just need someone to teach me!
my dad is fluent but doesn’t have the time…</p>

<p>hmm in college i’ll try to find a club or something :slight_smile:
that would be nice</p>