Chance an extremely variable applicant with strange ECs. Also help find a better list of unis to apply to [CA resident, 3.42 GPA (3.76/4.03/4.52 for UC); math + ? major]

There were supposedly multiple people described in the previous thread:

“By nepotism I mean that I have multiple people who are a high enough rank in USC that if they say “I’m willing to put in the effort to get you in” means that the chances of me making it in are high.”

There have been multiple explanations now about why none of these supposed “novels” have been published. These range from “perfectionism” in the previous thread (which is contradicted in this thread when they described their writing as “sloppy”), to now everything disappearing on a broken hard drive.

I do find it difficult believe that someone who is that focused on writing apparently hasn’t tried to get shorter fiction pieces published. Then again, the story about “running a record label” from the previous thread seems to have disappeared from the list of ECs in this thread.

The statement that “in my eyes you do definitely have to play around with the facts to make things more favorable to you” appears to be the operative one. There is a lot of fiction writing going on.

7 Likes

Look up the high school or community college course at University of California A-G Course List to find out what a-g category it is in, if it is in any. But it looks like non-devotional religion courses listed there tend to be in either the “a” (history and social studies) or “g” (college prep elective) categories, rather than the “f” (visual or performing arts) category.

If your theater arts credit was from a year long course in 9th grade, that is likely to fulfill the “f” category. Otherwise, you may have to investigate whether a one semester survey of world music course can fulfill it (if it is a transferable college course) or can be combined with another course (if it is a high school course) to fulfill the “f” category.

I am indeed taking tests. So the only reason why I said “assume test optional” was more just as a “assume worst case scenario”. I have taken some Practice SATs before and am predicted a 1450 but that was a couple weeks before the PSAT itself. I have no clue what score I’ll get on my PSAT but I’m definitely expecting a much higher score than a 1450. I plan on taking the SAT at a later date (when it’s able to be taken digitally as that’s the format I’m more used to now)

Oh no, my gender identity did actually change lol. Pretty recently I did some soul searching and figured out that I don’t really have any gendered views of myself.

Yeah that was me lying out of my ass 9/10 or I was talking about other AOs since I did mention that I knew some AOs for Brown and UCLA (UCLA I didn’t mention but Brown I think I did mention). I don’t know multiple AOs per institution though

You can be a sloppy writer but still be a perfectionist… It’s called being lazy lol.

This post was made while I was living inside of the Air BnB so as a result I actually didn’t know that a lot of my stuff got stolen. I only knew long after I moved when I couldn’t find my computer that it got stolen (If you’re wondering how I made that post without a computer: I had bought another computer a few months before the move as the one that had all of my novels was multiple years old. I decided to still keep it and not transfer any of my data as I was too lazy to research how to transfer data from a laptop to another laptop)

As for not publishing shorter fiction pieces: I’m not here competing lol. I’m literally just doing this for fun. The only reason why I’m publishing this novel is because I want to be able to prove that I actually did work on one novel. Tbh I don’t think I actually want to publish it but it is what it is

Record label I didn’t mention because it ended at somepoint midway through the Sophomore year. I gave it off to a friend of mine and now he manages it. I didn’t bring it up mostly because I’m not actively doing it and I don’t think saying that there was an EC I did from 9-10th grade but didn’t continue it in the 11th grade and beyond is exactly the most preferable one.

Tl;dr: Things can change over a year, if you want to think I’m a liar then ig that’s up to you but I don’t think the old thread should really be referred to since things happen

Well, the old thread also answers some new questions like your familiarity with Brown - you lived in Providence; your desire to study overseas - you don’t like the United States. And, it explains your choice of match schools - they have to be at least recognizable outside the United States (even if they’re only directional universities) because presumably, you’re going to want to move out of the country at some point.

2 Likes

Aaaah, I’ll see in the future then how this works out. I think I’ll still take it though but I also want to double check how Survey of Music Honors accounts for my F category.

I also want to ask: do semester long courses fulfil the F category? Because my theater art credit was a semester long course, not a year long course. That’s why I’m currently taking Survey of World Music. I tried to ask this from the UCLA AO that came by a few days ago but sadly she couldn’t give me a straight answer and I can’t seem to find a proper resource to help me

Yeah, I don’t think I said I lived in providence but I lived near it (granted I don’t remember anything from that thread but it’s not that important lol).

Either way, you got most of what I’m looking for right, I do have a goal to leave the US permanently (lots of reasons why but it’s not really important why this is the case). If I stay in America I’ll most likely only finish my undergrad degree here and move to another country to complete my graduate degree. (Unless I go to the reach schools I’ve mentioned already, 9/10 I am not going to move out of America in that case as my chances to go to grad school there is a lot higher. No need to worry myself about applying to a foreign grad school when I can just stay in the same highly-respected institution lol)

What I find so astonishing is that you are barely half-way through high school and you are already leap-frogging the entire college experience. This is why I read you incorrectly; it’s why I suspect a lot of people on this board have had trouble figuring out what it is you wanted. The experience (in one post it’s about graduating in two years; two posts later we’re back to four years) means nothing to you; it’s all about the certification. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

oh if that’s the case - OP can skip college and do online stuff - self learn what it is you want to learn.

1 Like

This has actually been mentioned before! At the end of the day my major goal is to just get a degree and make some good friends. Sadly though online studying is fairly unlikely to get me to achieve my goals (most online unis that offer math degrees only do so at the graduate level or they are quack unis or I just haven’t heard of them yet. I believe there was one British uni too that offers an online math degree though and I have considered that option).

Subject requirement (A-G) | UC Admissions says that the arts requirement can be fulfilled by “One yearlong course of visual and performing arts chosen from the following disciplines: dance, music, theater, visual arts or interdisciplinary arts — or two one-semester courses from the same discipline is also acceptable.”

It also says that, for college courses, “Grade of C or better in any transferable course of 3 semester (4 quarter) units that clearly falls within one of four visual/performing arts disciplines: dance, drama/theater, music or visual art”.

So you need a year of high school art course(s) or one semester (3+ units) or quarter (4+ units) of transferable college art course. If you do two semester high school art courses, both must be in the same subarea (dance, music, theater, visual arts, or interdisciplinary arts).

1 Like

If you’re not interested in college…

I think you think you are “better” - and I think you’re going to find out - it’s not the case.

Whatever your goals I hope you achieve them - but the entire chain doesn’t seem real (to me).

Good luck.

2 Likes

I don’t think I mentioned going back to 4 years, I think I mentioned realizing that this may not play out for me the way I expected so I need to start emailing random departments for whether or not this option is available to me or not.

The experience as in the stereotypical experience matters a little bit (like I definitely do want to go around and partying and stuff) but at the end of the day as long as I make good friends where I go and can say proudly that I went to a school that I deeply enjoyed and let me pursue my dreams (even if they change) then I’m set.

Why specifically high tier unis then? Mostly because it’s really easy to achieve a lot of things just by the name recognition (although yes I do know that name recognition isn’t everything). + they have a lot more resources than the average institution might lol.

First you need to apply, get accepted, and pay.

I applaud your enthusiasm but you are forgetting steps along the way. And you need to convince an adcom at one of these " colleges I’ve heard of" that you have the maturity and focus to actually study and put in the work and graduate. That’s your hurdle. None of these facts are yet in evidence. And the more you reach for “interesting” courses while ignoring the basics, the greater the risk you present as an applicant.

Do you have evidence that you have excelled in a class you weren’t interested in?

3 Likes

.>says my major goal is to get a degree and make close friends

.>apparently not interested in college

???

Wording this response has been a nightmare so I’m going to just erase as much as possible and make the response as direct as possible.

I want to go to university. My goal is to get a bachelors and then work towards my doctorates and get into research (I think). I also like the idea of having all of the bells and whistles of college (the connections, friendships, resources, etc.) It’s just that 1: I don’t want it for a high cost and 2: I don’t want it for an extended period of time. That is it. There’s not much else to it. Does this help clear things up for you?

If a PhD is the goal, you might talk to some grad schools about admission.

I’m not a PhD expert, but reading those on here, they say relationships with professors matter - so a short stint in college may hurt that goal.

Others can answer.

In the end, you have a tight budget. You have OK grades. Hopefully you’ll have a great test.

You’ll be confined to schools that you can afford - which will be in state, maybe some WUE, southern/midwest publics and if need is determined, perhaps some privates.

It’s more likely your credits will help at the publics but I’m guessing (don’t know) that a shortened attendance timeframe will significantly diminish your PhD chances.

Good luck.

History, English, biology, chemistry, music, and government are all classes that I am mostly uninterested in and I excel in.

I’m not entirely certain what that question is for though.

I wonder why everyone says I’m constantly ignoring the basics. I think I’ve made it painfully clear plenty of times that like the only “basic” thing I’m missing right now is just a random health credit I can make up for over the summer. I meet all requirements as it stands right now. The only requirement I do not meet right now is a health class which I can and will take over the summer.

I’m not an idiot, I know that a lot of basics need to get done before going to take DE courses, it’s just that I’ve taken those basics. I don’t feel a need to mention them because I didn’t expect people to assume that I am “hurr durr I only do STEM and nothing else” but I guess I assumed a bit too much?