Chance an International Junior Discouraged about Her GPA :(

Demographics

• International student
  • Location of residency: Singapore
  • Type of high school: Private, follows the US school system, competitive (based on what people say)
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Female, Asian (Korean)
  • Other special factors: None

Intended Major(s)

• Biochemistry
  • Biology (planning on pursuing grad school)
  • Neuroscience

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.8/4.0 (converted to this)
  • Weighted HS GPA: n/a
  • College GPA: n/a
  • Class Rank: n/a
  • ACT/SAT Scores: SAT 1530 superscored (730 EBRW, 800 math)

Coursework

• Freshman Year: English, World History, Math Honors, Biology, Chinese (only freshman in my class), Orchestra, 2 required sports classes (each one semester)
  • Sophomore Year: English, APUSH, Math Honors, Chemistry Honors, AP Chinese, Orchestra (most advanced one in my school), required health class (one semester), computer science (one semester)
  • Junior Year: AP Lang, AP Calculus BC, AP Biology, Advanced Chinese (one of the hardest Chinese courses in my school), Orchestra, Physics Honors, Forensic Science (one semester), required “project-making” class (one semester)
  • Senior Year (planned): AP Literature, AP Statistics, AP Chemistry, Advanced Chinese, Performing Arts (weighted the same as an AP), Kinesiology (weighed the same as an AP), AP Psychology

Awards

• Honor Societies (lots of hopefully’s in this one)
    • Chinese Honor Society (probably will become officer soon)
    • Tri-M Honor Society (maybe will become a VP)
    • Science National Honor Society (will become minister/officer hopefully)
    • National Honor Society (if there is a chance to become an officer, I will do it :sob:)
  • Honor roll since freshman year
  • HSK Level 5 (a Chinese proficiency test and Level 5 is near native)
  • ABRSM Cello Grade 7 with Distinction (a music placement exam, Grade 7 is the second highest)
    • Planning on getting Grade 8 this year
  • Competitions
    • Gold Medalist at a Life Sciences Competition
    • Bronze Medalist at the Korea Science and Engineering Fair
    • Excellent Youth Scholar Award at the Korea Scholar’s Conference for Youth Competition
    • Semi-Grand Award at the Asean Innovative Science Environmental and Entrepreneur Fair

Extracurriculars

• Summer internships
    • Lab assistant at a start-up biotech company
    • Lab assistant/shadow at a global pharmaceutical company
    • (this summer) will work as a lab assistant at a huge South Korean Stem Cell Therapeutics company
  • (this summer) Duke Pre-College Program: Introduction to Human Physiology (offers college credit)
  • Teaching assistant at a music charity organization
  • Ensemble member at the same organization as above
  • Dedicated volunteer at a food bank at the local community center
  • Co-Founder of an education club that aims to teach STEM subjects to orphans
  • Officer of a STEM Journalism Club, in charge of the Mentorship program with children
  • member (and hopefully officer soon) of a service club dedicated to teaching English to Cambodian children
    • participated since freshman year
  • member (hopefully officer soon) of a biochemistry club
  • member (maybe officer depending on application results) of a student organization focused on planning school events and managing the school’s clubs
  • published a book on Amazon (only sold 1 copy so I prob won’t write this in my application :skull: )

Essays/LORs/Other

• I have started writing my common app already, and it’s pretty good (based on what my peers say)
  • I asked my teachers for my LoRs and I’m very close with them! Both said they would write the best rec possible!
  • Pretty close with my college counselor so hopefully a strong LoR from him

Cost Constraints / Budget
Pretty sure it won’t be an issue for my family (fortunately)

Schools (based on what my college counselor says!)

• Safety: My school only starts from Likely :frowning:
  • Likely: UW Madison, UMass Amherst, University of Pittsburgh
  • Match: University of Washington, UIUC, Northeastern, BU, Case Western
  • Reach: Duke (ED), NYU, UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, WashU, BC (EDII?), Northwestern, USC, UNC Chapel Hill

You will likely get into Pitt and UMASS is possible.

What is wrong with your GPA?

You know the drill. Add a safety.

Your list is mostly reach - it doesn’t mean it’s not possible. But these are mainly highly rejective schools. But full pay will help where a school is need aware for international.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

If you apply to Pitt in early August, you should have an acceptance within a month. If Pitt is affordable and you would be happy to attend, there is no reason that you have to add a safety…unless you want merit from a safety.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.