Chance an international!

<p>hey guys, im an international student from the middle east
im originally asian, and would like to know my chances for wisconsin-madison</p>

<p>GPA: 3.93</p>

<p>ACT: 29</p>

<p>APs: Microeconomics (5), Macroeconomics (4), Statistics (5)
Next year: Calculus AB, Physics B, Chemistry</p>

<p>ECs: Cricket captain (6 years club, 2 years international); 1st place regionally. 2nd place internationally
Basketball (4 years); 1st place regionally, 3rd place internationally
MUN (4 years); ambassador, delegate, main submitter
NHS (2 years); member and head of tutoring
Amnesty international (2 years); vice president and activities director
Forensics and Debate (2 years); serious duet acting and oratory speaking</p>

<p>I will be applying as an actuarial science major to Wisconsin's school of business.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Looks like you have a decent/good chance of admission. Do you plan to re-take the ACT? I think your ACT score is really good, but being a international student a higher ACT score may likely help a lot.</p>

<p>I do plan to retake it… But please chance me wih my 29 :slight_smile:
anyone else?</p>

<p>Is that GPA weighted or unweighted? With a high UW GPA you’d be almost sure
to get in if you were a domestic applicant. I doubt anybody on this forum knows much
about the standards for international applicants.</p>

<p>I hope you understand that you cannot apply to the business school as a freshman.</p>

<p>Oh ok… Then how/when do you apply to the business school?
And how do you calculate UW GPA? Are A’s and A-'s both counted as 4? Or are A’s 4 and A-'s 3.7 (and so on)?</p>

<p>I think by unweighted, like all on a 4.0 scale. Not giving extra credits for taking any class, just counting a standard credit for each class ( this does not excempt the use of earning a B+, D+ etc…).</p>

<p>GPA is great.
ACT is not really good. Get above a 30.
AP scores don’t really matter.</p>

<p>Wait… So is an A and an A- the same thing while calculating UW GPA for Wisconsin?
And how/when do you apply to their business school?</p>

<p>Well I didn’t know Wisconsin have their own GPA formula.
Usually unweighted includes:
F 0.0
F+ 0.5
D 1.0
D+ 1.5
C 2.0
C+ 2.5
B 3.0
B+ 3.5
A 4.0
Never known the use of minus grades. Also say for an Ap class you earn a 3.0, but being an Ap or any advance class such as honors, etc… you get additional credits added making it a 4.0, unweighted will not count the additional credits.</p>

<p>Yes I would assume a A and A- will be counted as the same… everything unweighted is usually calculated on a 4.0 scale, nothing above.</p>

<p>A HS may use a plus as .3 and minus as .7, at UW AB is 3.5. The business school is changing to an admission as a freshman, I believe. This may happen in time for you.</p>

<p>By UW GPA I meant unweighted. I neglected to see that this term could be misinterpreted; sorry.
Quoting from the catalog, “Students should apply to the School of Business at the beginning of the semester in which they will complete 54 or more credits and complete their pre-business courses.” Also, you could in theory apply as a freshman if you met these criteria, just not as an incoming freshman.</p>

<p>Changes may make the catalog statement obsolete.</p>

<p>Well then will a 29 be too low?</p>

<p>No guarantees of admission, regardless of ACT, but a higher score such as one in the top quarter is most helpful.</p>