Chance and Advise

<p>Male, rising senior.
State: TX</p>

<p>GPA: 4.2 (weighted 5 for AP and Honors)

<p>Winter semester Junior year Grades/ Course: </p>

<p>B Pre AP PreCalc,
B AP Chemistry,
B AP Biology,
B AP English Language,
A AP Computer Science II,
A AP US History,
A Pre AP Physics.</p>

<p>Standardized test scores:</p>

<p>SAT Subject Math II: 750
SAT Subject Physics: To be taken.</p>

<p>SAT Reasoning: To be taken in October 2012. Sophomore year: 2000 (690 math, 690 critical reading) </p>

<p>Academic Awards:</p>

<p>Likely TX National Merit Semifinalist.</p>

<p>What are his chances of being considered academically qualified? Please advise, what courses should he take in senior year? He is interested in engineering, physics and mathematics.</p>

<p>He’s already an academic admit due to his SAT score and rank.
[Academic</a> Admits](<a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/waysAdmitted/academic.aspx]Academic”>http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/waysAdmitted/academic.aspx)</p>

<p>Thanks izelkay and what do you think are his chances of being accepted into engineering?</p>

<p>^He’s an auto-admit. As long as there are spots in your wanted major by the time you are accepted, you are automatically accepted into that major. If you apply as early as you can you’ll most likely get the engineering major you want. I heard back mid-December and there were still spots open for some engineering majors. What Engineering discipline is he interested in?</p>

<p>Yup, he should be able to get any engineering major he wants. But, he still might want to apply early, depending on the major he wants because, like Mechanical Engineering, some of them get filled up really fast.</p>

<p>Thanks that is great news. So, when is the soonest he can apply? He sent his SAT scores to A&M a year ago. </p>

<p>SergeantCowboy, He is interested in Electrical engineering.</p>

<p>As I recall when I was admitted (most of the Engineering majors had filled up) Electrical was still open. I remember this because I had mechanical as my first choice but that was filled, and my adviser told me to go to Industrial Engineering because it’s harder to transfer from Electrical to Mechanical. </p>

<p>So, at least from my experience, EE is one of the last majors to fill up. Maybe because it is so difficult most kids stray away from it? Good luck.</p>

<p>If he’s doing Electrical he doesn’t really need to apply that early. I switched from Mechanical (because it was full) to Electrical like, early December I think, so there were probably more seats open.</p>

<p>Do applicants have to wait until their high schools update class rank including junior year GPA or does A&M accept transcripts without recent class rank? I am not certain, but I think son´s school updates class rank in late September or early October.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>They need to have the junior year GPA included. Late September/early October won’t be too late for his major, especially since he’s an academic admit, so no worries there.</p>

<p>Thanks izelkay. Am I right in assuming that A&M will not require LORs? So, applying to A&M (as an Academic admit) will boil down to filling out the online ap, writing two essays and sending SAT scores and udated transcripts? Or am I missing something? thanks.</p>

<p>Nope that’s it! DS1 was academic admit, unfortunately DS2 will be sweating it out as a review applicant :-(.</p>

<p>Thanks. By the way, I got an email from the high school registrar yesterday, saying we could have transcripts with rank and GPA sent out right now. So, apparently, seniors do not have to wait until Sep. for rank and GPA. Hopefully, we can have the completed app in by next week.</p>