Chance and match me please! Bowdoin/Wesleyan/Kenyon/Pomona for literature major? [3.95, 1590]

Make sure you check not just the course catalogs for which classes are offered, but also the class schedule, which indicates how many classes have been offered in each semester. @Shelby_Balik wrote a recent post which helps explain part of why there can be such a difference, but may have additional insight to share here, too. Best colleges for exploring multiple fields? (creative writing, linguistics, computer science) [WA resident, 4.0, 1530, needs full merit ride] - #137 by Shelby_Balik. Here’s another post of hers that might help explain, too: Missing opportunity to take a course in a small department due to infrequent offering - #7 by Shelby_Balik.

I think you should major in what you want to major in, and there’s no need to decide today, or before you start college. Most liberal arts colleges allow you until the 2nd semester of your sophomore year to declare a major. I do think, however, that it’s important to make sure that there are sufficient offerings for any major you’re thinking about having.

Check and see what the language of instruction will be in those classes and if it’s those universities’ regular classes or special classes that are designated for foreign students. Alternatively (or additionally), schools that offer a major in Japanese will be likely to offer Japanese lit classes in their original language.

Will think about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like