Chance for Scholarship?

I hear Texas A&M is rather stingy. My son is wondering what his chances are for a scholarship. He has already been admitted for Fall 2022 into the school of agriculture. His stats are:
Gpa: 4.9
SAT: 1440
Valedictorian
National merit commended.
Lots of extra curriculars

We’re Texas residents. thanks!

Great stats! I wouldn’t call it stingy. A&M does award MANY scholarships, but most seem to be Need based or levels of National Merit. With so many high achieving applicants, TAMU doesn’t need to dangle or match scholarships, like many schools.
Since your son is NM Commended, that does help open the door. He ‘might’ be considered for Presidents Endowed, Lechner or McFadden Academic scholarship as a freshman.
I have a ‘23 Aggie, also NM Commended. She is PES (President’s Endowed). She was one of a handful her year that wasn’t full blown NM. A lot will depend on how many NM semi/finalist there are each year. And even if Commended, they look at VERY well rounded-high gpa/rank, awards, community service, leadership positions held.
He could also get a College of Ag departmental scholarship; that can come after freshman year, so be sure your son applies yearly for the Continuing Student scholarship link.
Don’t count on getting any scholarships, but be pleasantly surprised if he does get one/some!

1 Like

Thank you. I understand the whole stingy thing. There are a lot of very good students out there. I guess it’s hard because he’s already been given full tuition at Alabama, Ole Miss, and Auburn. Everybody wants to feel a little bit of love, right? But I know he would rather stay in Texas. We’re also waiting to see what UT says. I appreciate your feedback.

1 Like

Alabama and Ole Miss aren’t near as competitive to get admission to, and they like Texas kids.
Soooo many high achievers accepted to TAMU, not enough $$ for everyone.
A&M does give a LOT of $$ to Need based.

Below is the list of Freshman Scholarships available.
Just remember that approx 50k+ are applying, the current freshman class has 12,459 students. In 2019, there were 302 PES (NatMerit Semi & Finalist automatically get it, which doesn’t leave much room for others), if that helps put things in perspective.
At least your son gets State of Texas Valedictorian 1 year tuition!

(And either the Lechner or McFadden requires living in Dallas county; that is printed in very fine print on some mega document somewhere)

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/FRESHMEN/University-Scholarships

1 Like

We’re don’t qualify for need base.

We don’t either. But my Aggie has received Mays scholarships every year, so there’s definitely a chance at departmental scholarships (tho not huge, but still help). Be sure to submit FAFSA every year, as some scholarships require it being on file, even if the student doesn’t qualify.
There was a post on Aggie Parents Page last year, that something like 700+ valedictorians in the freshman class.
Like I said…don’t count on anything, be thrilled if he gets something!

Just making sure you know that being ranked #1 in his graduating class means he will get free Freshman tuition. (I believe same is true for if he gets into UT)