Chance for UGA '26

UGA is one of my daughter’s top choice and we are from NJ, and deferred early action.
Here are some of her stats:
4.14 Weighted GPA
30 ACT
Student council VP
Interact Club VP (130+ hours of community service)
A number of other EC’s including National Honor Society, School spirit club, church youth group
Did a pre-health program at Georgetown
4 year varsity soccer player and club soccer player
Major is health science on a pre-med track
So far accepted into UofSC and Elon, rejected from UMD, UNC, UVA.
Any help chancing is appreciated!

Is that the UGA GPA or her school’s GPA?

1 Like

3.88 UGA GPA sorry idk how to edit the post.

Based on last year’s D21 application process, i’d say she is a toss up.

My DD was also deferred to Georgia but was accepted to FSU and UMD.

We are also from NJ and stats very similar.

4.1 is in range but the 30 is below. It’s a toss up - but I’d assume a no (sorry) - but we are not AOs.

Congrats on Elon and U of SC - both great gets. Both gorgeous campuses.

UNC and UVA are brutal for everyone - and UMD is getting that way - but UMD, to me, would be an indication of UGA which I think is a harder get.

Good luck.

1 Like

Definitely be sure you have calculated the UGA GPA correctly. There are detailed instructions on how to do so and what classes to include on the UGA admissions blog, which is excellent. It also has historic stats which it give you a good idea. If UGA GPA is in fact a 3.88 she would be well below the 25th percentile of admitted students. The 30 ACT would also be below the 25th percentile. Both of those things would put it as a high reach. I know that’s not easy to hear, but good thing to do some expectation management and get excited about schools she is already in.

I would agree University of Maryland is an easier admit than UGA. UVA and UNC out of state are harder, with UNC being brutal.

2 Likes

My first impression after reading the thread starter was that the OP’s daughter might fare better among the top LACs than among competitive National Universities assuming that OP’s daughter would continue with her sport and in campus involvement (student council VP).

With respect to chance of receiving an offer of admission from the University of Georgia after being deferred, it simply depends upon the pool of applicants at UGA.

What are her Math and English scores on the ACT?

1 Like

I agree - it’s hard to speculate. My daughter was EA deferred/denied OOS (NC) from UGA last year with those stats (admitted to Virginia Tech with merit, U of SC with merit, UTK with merit, Elon, NC State & FSU. She chose VT). Older daughter was admitted with lower stats and got merit from UGA. It’s getting more difficult each year to get in a lot of places. Fingers crossed that your daughter receives good news in March :crossed_fingers:t2:

35 English, 30 math

1 Like

So that would put her in the mid range with those ACT scores. They only look at English and math. They don’t average them they will look at them individually, so her very strong English score will stand out.

I know of two students that were accepted with a 28 ACT. UGA looks at English and Math scores. With her extracurricular activities, which are excellent, and a great essay maybe she will be “calling the Dawgs” this fall. : )

1 Like

Think she has a good chance too. People make it out to be a little more than it is.

1 Like

I think we’re all responding based on the actual numbers for admitted students last year and for the past several years.

Sure if you are below the 25th percentile that is 25% of admitted students which is a lot of students. Various factors comprise those students including some athletes, institutional admits, etc. For a school like UGA which puts great emphasis on grades, and is less holistic than other schools, the conventional college counseling wisdom is that it is a high reach for that student. That doesn’t mean impossible but have other options and get excited about them.

The chance of a regular old student getting in who is below the 25th percentile in grades and scores without a hook such as recruited athlete, underrepresented area of the state, URM, etc is not great.

I’m not doubting that there are people who were admitted with a 28 ACT, but often they have a higher score on either English or math or both. Also test scores are the least important part of their review, which they repeatedly say. I do think results can be slightly different from certain high schools in Atlanta because UGA like many schools keeps track of how students perform from a certain high school when they get there, and if the kids from that school are extremely well prepared they may dip a little lower down in GPA (thinking of some elite private schools in the state here).

1 Like

Since decisions were released today…, how did it go for your daughter?!