Chance for VT?

<p>Hey, just wanted to know if I have a chance to get in.</p>

<p>I'm from Westchester County, New York.</p>

<p>GPA: 3.5 (88.4 unweighted) (89.05 weighted)</p>

<p>ACT: 9/15 Scores: Composite 23/Reading 25/Math 22/English 23/Science 21
10/27 Scores: Composite 23/Reading 24/Math 23/English 23/Science 20</p>

<p>Awards and Honorary Programs
• Recipient of Triple “C” Award (Commitment, Character, Courage) presented by New York State Attorney General, Andrew M. Cuomo-11th Grade
• Somers High School Peer Leadership-Mentored incoming freshmen throughout their entry year into high school; participated in community service projects.-11, 12
• National Honor Society-Member-11, 12</p>

<p>Honors and College Level Courses
• College Level Pre-Calculus (through Westchester Community College)-12
• College Level Public Affairs (through Syracuse University)-12
• AP Statistics-12
• College Level Spanish (through State University of New York at Albany)-11
• Honors United States History-11
• Honors Global History and Geography-10</p>

<p>Athletics
• Somers High School Varsity Tennis Team-9, 10, 11, 12 (Captain 12)
• Somers High School Varsity Ski Team-9 </p>

<p>Community Service
• Midnight Run- Went to New York City in the middle of the night with this well-established program to contribute food and clothing to the homeless; helped prepare food and clothing prior to run as well-11, 12
• Walk-A-Thon- Helped lead a charity event that raised money for a local food pantry and for a refugee camp in Costa Rica-11, 12
• Additional activities including visiting nursing home, serving at fund-raising dinners, and scoring local basketball games-10, 11, 12</p>

<p>pretty good</p>

<p>Your ACT scores are a rather low. Also by Northern Virginia standards in most counties, thats about a high B for your overall GPA (going off the percentage) either weighted or unweighted.</p>

<p>I'd retake the ACT or take the SAT if possible. The 25th Percentile is 23, but remember that Virginia Tech has to take a very large percentage of Virginia students due to Virginia state law. That means that you will have to score higher I think to have a good shot at the school. For in state students who are accepted to Virginia Tech (statistically they need to score higher then southern Virginia students) have an average score of 25. Even then their GPAs have to be above a 3.4, or they end up denied without fail.</p>

<p>To be honest, you may even have an advantage if you take the SAT because if you can score about 1300 out of 1600, you'll be higher then the average in state student. Virginia Tech isn't really looking at the third section yet. Virginia Tech's magic GPA number seems to be a 3.5 for in state students in Northern Virginia. But since your grading scale has lower standards then most in state schools you may be seen as below the amount, especially since you are out of state.</p>

<p>To get those statistics (since you wont' find them online) I'm looking at a chart of scores from over 150 students applying last year from a Northern Virginia school. The chart itself cannot be found online.</p>

<p>You have to get your ACT (or SAT) score up! Students from Northern Virginia need at least a 3.6 gpa and 1200+ SAT to be considered. (In Northern Virgina 94 percent and above is an A; 90 to 93 B+; 84 to 89 B, etc.) However, I think it's harder to get into Tech from Northern VA versus out of state. I think a Tech's equates an ACT 26 to a SAT 600 ..... good luck. You have a strong curriculum, which they'll like.</p>

<p>Well the thing is, Tech claims that Northern Virginia students are not discriminated against southern Virginia students - yet statistically they are. Out of state I would figure would be higher then Northern Virginia because they have to meet their quota of in state, and when they get the chance they'll choose Northern Virginia students who score statistically higher and have more advanced curriculum opportunities in general. They just can't have all Northern Virginia students.</p>