Chance into Engineering

<p>My youngest S would like to know if he could be accepted in Electrical Eng, Petroleum Eng or Bio-Medical Eng with scholarship if any?. He is top 3%, 10 out of 287, GPA: 4.0 unweighted , SAT: Math 720, Reading 680, Writing 610. SAT: 1400 Math and Reading. His activities are working part-time in the hospital and helping in the church (youth programs, etc). Kindly chance him. Thanks for your help and GBU.</p>

<p>A&M has rolling admissions, so since he is auto-admit…he will get his first choice major regardless of what it is IF he applies before they fill up. Our highschool recommended having app complete by mid october, but I think the beginning of October is what he should aim for. My son is doing bio-med engineering which is the smallest eng major so it does fill very quickly. This, as you probably know, is entirely different than UT…whose engineering school is so selective…it does not matter when they receive the app as long as it is on time. This last year UT seemed to look most heavily at standardized math scores and science/math APs…
I did not expect my son to get into biomedical eng at UT because he was not an auto admit (top 10%, but not 9%) and he had been told that he needed to be in the top 2-3% for that program… but he did get in…had perfect standardized math scores and all the AP science and math classes…but he chose a&m.</p>

<p>My S did receive a small scholarship. National Merit Finalists receive large scholarships (my s was commended, but I don’t think that helped him). I have also noticed that some of his peers who received a bit more had been interested in a&m for quite some time, had visited several times AND had the outstanding grades/test scores.</p>

<p>I believe last year when I applied, the school of engineering was full by mid november. Have your son apply now because although he is auto admit it is first come first serve when it comes to majors. As for scholarships, almost everything is based on “financial need” and because of this I received nothing but unsubsidized loan offers from the university although I had similar specs to your son. If you do have financial need make sure to fill out the FAFSA right when it opens for next year at the beginning of january.</p>

<p>Bumz01: Thanks with for the info. My youngest son also is in IB Programs and is taking very difficult classes like Calculus, higher Chem and Physic. He already took some AP tests score above 5 all of them. What is the maximum credits that TAMU can give for his IB classes combined with some AP tests?..any info?. Regards.</p>

<p>okla: Not sure what’s the maximum, but maybe this link would interest you.</p>

<p><a href=“http://mars.tamu.edu/testingsite/HTMLfiles/highschool.htm[/url]”>http://mars.tamu.edu/testingsite/HTMLfiles/highschool.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It’s a list of what transfers as credit and what doesn’t, maybe try and google around a little more to see if anyone’s ever had problems transferring as many credits as your son will be transferring.</p>

<p>I’m applying to A&M too, so I might just see your son next year ! :slight_smile: Best of luck :)</p>

<p>xoxoVIVIANnnn: thanks for the link. It says as follows for IB Diploma: will grant at least 24 semester credit hours of course-specific college credit in subject-appropriate areas on all International Baccalaureate (IB) exam scores of 4 or above as long as the incoming freshman has earned an IB Diploma. While some course credit will be awarded regardless of a student’s IB Diploma status, some course credit at Texas A&MUniversity may be subject to the successful completion of the IB Diploma. </p>

<p>That’s pretty good up to 24 credits with scores of 4 or above. So, basically by second semester of Freshman Year, my youngest son will be in Sophomore. Wow, I like that and that’s a short cut to finish college.</p>