Chance/Match: CA Senior; Non-Recruit Athlete; 35 ACT; GPA 3.93-ish (1 B); Mech Eng or DataSci; Help with Whole Shebang! (List; Reach Scholarships; Etc.)

This is usually a non-calculus or light-calculus course for biology majors and pre-meds. AP physics 1 and 2 in high school approximate the content. For a prospective engineering major, think of it more like an honors high school physics course.

2 Likes

Really appreciate everyone’s commitment to responding. My kid doesn’t have a social media presence and this is the only site I am on re: college. Or in general, in fact.

I would rather have a week of unwieldy discussions here so that I can narrow down a list to present to her. Hearing about different options is extremely helpful now that the clock is ticking. This will help cut through the branches so that my daughter’s list, which will be eclectic, will be full of solid options, any of which she would gladly attend.

Re: budget. I fully understand everyone’s comments here on how it eases the search. Totally agree. The fact is, my daughter will have to present her acceptances’ financial packages to know where she is going. She knows this, too. Given that we have CA in-state options, the other applications are about opening up new opportunities. She and I are not judging where she’ll end up. This is the situation for our family. Please respect that I hear what you are saying, and agree with your logical explanations.

Regarding the Associate’s Degree: my daughter kind of fluked into this path as her school lost AP Calc in Grade 9, when she was due to take it (she started math accelerating in middle school, along with languages). So she took two Calc classes in Grade 9. Then explored the option of continuing to take DE courses to show rigor (school had lost other APs), while allowing her to move away for higher-level training. So that’s how the Associate’s path happened. If she can test out of some subjects, or use her credits to do a combined degree (she will probably still do four years of school), that would really work for her.

I am wondering about “leadership” considerations on her applications. Where my kid is training, we don’t have a car so mobility for her has been an issue these past two years. Combined with a lot of school and training, finding an authentic way to display “leadership” has been a puzzle.

The school list is widely varied because my daughter has been in varied circumstances - pretty humble CA school campus (when there), then training in a facility where there are known names in her sport. So she has been in both a low-key community space and an insanely competitive environment. So she’s up for any type of adventure in that regard.

So yes, there are a lot of big names on this list right now, but she’s been in vastly different environments and had to get down to brass tacks in all of them. So she’s game.

For example: she found MIT’s campus to be very linear, but the learning opportunities are the main thing for her there. Whereas Berkley’s campus is quite impressive and the courses would be great for her, but we have heard that it can be very crowded class-wise, and that the atmosphere is more competitive. For her, she sees that each school has a plus/minus ratio.

I should note she is applying to two highly low-odds scholarship programs that are a good fit for her, which is why the list also has top-range rejection schools. Because you never know.

She can take a course in c++, if she has already learnt python and java. Why UVA and not Virginia Tech? Is it because of the location or secondary admission into major?
secondary admission might be a reason to whittle down some choices if that is a concern 

1 Like

Re: the Physics option. Then that is a problem.

I don’t know if there is a Physics class she can take online to prepare her.

Can her counselor mention that finding a second Physics class has been an issue?

Randomly, at the Mudd presentation, she did have the minimum requirements for applying, I think. Just that other applicants will have more Physics than her, obviously.

Not sure why it is a problem per se. Calculus-based physics for engineering majors typically has a prerequisite of high school physics (and calculus).

Since the student has had high school physics and calculus, the student is ready for calculus-based physics for engineering majors. If the student wants to advance in physics while in high school, California community colleges typically offer calculus-based physics for students intending to transfer to UCs and CSUs as engineering and physics majors.

3 Likes

Because I don’t know enough about the difference between these two schools yet. This is the week of unwieldy discussions leading to greater truths.

Tell me more.

Yeah, some great courses. But she started training out of state the summer before school went back to in person in CA. Her school lost AP Physics. And the loss of other APs (they still have just under 10) inspired us to YOLO and do our best to support her in her sport. She couldn’t be in one place long enough to take a second Physics course. Physics is the casualty in all this.

She hopes to continue her sport while in university, but we don’t know what that will look like. There have been other athletes she knows that have been able to pursue a top school while still being in the sport. But we are looking at every option on the table.

The UC application has two places where she can explain this.

Use the additional comments field if there are issues you’d like to address that you didn’t have the opportunity to discuss elsewhere on the application. This shouldn’t be an essay, but rather a place to note unusual circumstances or anything that might be unclear in other parts of the application. You’re welcome to use this section to note extraordinary circumstances related to COVID-19, if necessary.

2 Likes

Does she need a certain type of environment (like access to mountains), or a particular type of training environment, or is her sport something she can do from anywhere? That sounds like an additional factor that could help to narrow down the list. (I recall someone who’s kid was seriously into Irish dancing, and that was a factor in making their college list.)

2 Likes

I would hope she’s involved in discussions up front.

She should be building a list, with your help of course but not the other way around.

3 Likes

Agreed. Especially if it requires a significant amount of travel, and time away from campus.

2 Likes

With all the other advanced coursework, I really would not stress about the physics. She had the highest her school had to offer.

Likewise, the commitment to sport justifies the lack of ECs and leadership in other areas. Colleges understand one kid can’t do everything, they build a well rounded class by having all sorts of unique kids. Has she ever led a class for younger students? Tutored other kids while waiting for practice?

My own kid is focusing more on the CSUs and UCs because she has a lot of transfer credit and will be able to have more flexibility for electives and double majors. Schools like Harvey Mudd don’t give any AP or college credits and you do the same core classes as everyone else.

While she may thrive anywhere, you can’t apply to 100 schools and wait until May to decide, you need to have her start making some cuts which means she needs some opinions on the right fit. You can simulate decisions like MIT for $80k or Berkeley for $30k now and at least narrow down a few that way.

Her academic profile puts her in the running for any school, but you can’t possibly have time to devote to really pour into that many applications and supplements.

SLO is a crap shoot for everyone, but the other CSUs should all be likely/safeties. You don’t need a zillion of them. There is a lot of good data out there for admittance rate to the CSUs and UCs by high school and gpa so you can see your own chances to any of those.

2 Likes

Note that UC Davis and UCLA do not allow AP/IB credit to be used for GE courses.

3 Likes

She has been very clear about her interests (Mech Eng, emerging data science) through her behaviors. Ironically, by participating in her sport, she has determined things she’d be interested in building, but then her math skills led her into analyzing the data of her results. So she’s led the way at all times. While also valuing creativity in various ways when she has down time.

This list is a reflection of largely her general knowledge of schools, like most kids. Mudd has been on my radar for years now.

College has been a low-key destination for years (I knew I’d go somewhere, then did, same thing for her). We strolled through MIT and Harvard when she was 12, while in town. Just to see what it was like since we were passing by. Which is good, because right now we are only touring schools that are within driving distance. In order to be more affordable, other tours will be based off acceptances.

Now that the clock is ticking, the amount can be an overwhelming onslaught.

So, just like she has a limited time for essays, her school exploration (deep diving on each school’s site) is best served by a list that reflects options most relevant to her interests.

I’m more than happy to cut through a large swath of options so that her head is clear enough to focus on researching potential schools that she would be happy to attend. That would still be at least 30 sites! See what looks good. Then whittle down the list to an eclectic list of schools she’d be happy to attend, because acceptances are a crap shoot.

I’d rather do the initial work of speaking to other adults. Then she can surf the school sites in peace and see what speaks to her.

As for her sport, some schools would be better than others (closer to training facilities). So, for example, US Santa Cruz isn’t really for her. Unless it has a life-changing program. Which I’d like to hear about first before taking it out of consideration.

She did try to do some coaching in a group, but for competitive purposes, training in a bit of a bubble has been important, in order for all the athletes to not get sick before international competitions.

I agree with all your points. The CSUs and UCs are right up our kids’ alley with transfer credit. Which can make for an even more custom course experience. Which is fit, right?

My kid liked Mudd. They have the Presidential Scholarship (again, even more reachy than getting into the school). So despite the backtracking on courses, that stays on the list. I’m hoping that with all the courses my kid’s already taken, the rigor at Mudd would be a fit, should it be an option. And yeah, SLO is a great option but such a game of chance.

Don’t forget, with MechE, short of maybe a few schools, where you go doesn’t matter.

You do want ABET accreditation.

My son is an example of this. Accepted at Purdue with merit, he chose the U of Alabama. Why? Because in the Honors dorm, you get your own room. This is the school where your kid is likely to get four years free tuition btw and a year of housing - and you can use the tuition for grad school. And they are generous credits - so this will be one cheaper for you than a UC (your initial thought that it wasn’t possible). Even if you don’t get the diversity scholarship, your tuition will be $3K due to auto merit.

I didn’t like my son’s decision because of pedigree - but as it was, he had 20 interviews in the Fall and 5 offers before he stopped (and his intern company called in Feb to offer) - and he’s working in a job with - Purdue and Michigan kids but also Auburn, Ohio State, Western Michigan, Utah, Case Western, and more. In his internship after soph year, he lived with two Ga Tech kids - he was invited back, they weren’t.

I’m no saying that MIT or Cal Tech, etc. aren’t above.

But in general terms, I think one needn’t panic that their kid goes to U of Kansas instead of Michigan, etc. If you are at an ABET school, you are in a good position to get hired. My son didn’t make a financial decision but a living decision but I saved $80K and so money does matter - and clearly to your spouse - and rightfully so. If you save $300K, will that impact your life positively, etc?

With the internet today fueling hiring and engineers are always in demand (maybe not in certain industries but overall) - I think there’s so many sensible options.

In the end, if your husband is going to pick $20K or $40K over $90k and you don’t qualify for need (do you), you sort of know where to go

Yes, you have 20 common app spots - but those financial and admission safeties are far more important than the reaches - so make sure you get them done before using all your spots.

btw - most schools have data science - it may be under stats - but it’s a new buzz word type major that really there always has been.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Some major specific admit data if available for DS and ME.

Data Science admit rates if available

Campus Data Science
UC Berkeley 8.25%
UC Davis No Data but approximately <20% New Major
UC Irvine 7.6%
UCLA 10% Does not admit by major but into College of L&S
UC Merced Major not available
UC Riverside 67%
UC San Diego No data but approximately <10% Capped major
UC Santa Barbara 27% admit rate for College of L&S which does not admit by major
UC Santa Cruz Major not available
Cal Poly SLO 38% projected Stats/minor DS
Cal State Long Beach Major not available
San Diego State 40% Stats with DS emphasis
San Jose State No Data Available

Engineering 2022 admit rates

Campus Mechanical Eng
UC Berkeley 7.3%
UC Davis Extrapolated <30%
UC Irvine 15%
UCLA 5.5%
UC Merced 90%
UC Riverside7 56%
UC San Diego Extrapolated <20%
UC Santa Barbara Extrapolated <25%
UC Santa Cruz N/A

Some Cal States admit rates for popular campuses:

Campus Mechanical Eng
Cal Poly SLO 19%
Cal State Long Beach 50%
San Diego State 50%
San Jose State 61%

Unfortunately the admit data does not show how competitive the applicant pool for each major was at time of admission.

3 Likes

I remember your son’s choice and it sounds like he’s also “bloomed where he was planted” and make some smart decisions. What a fantastic result and hearing actual stories is great. Shows that there are different pathways out there.

Saving for a post-grad program is also a consideration for my kid’s interests.

This is so helpful, thank you!

1 Like

Virginia Tech as the name implies is renowned for Engineering/STEM majors. UVA has a much more broad focus and has the more famous business school.

Students enter schools like virginia tech/purdue as general engineering majors. At the end of the first year, they apply to their major of choice within the engineering school. Both schools claim most of the students get their major of choice.

1 Like