Chance/Match Me - GA Transfer Student aspiring Business Consultant [3.4 HS GPA, 1130 SAT, 3.2 college GPA, <$20k]

Demographics

• US Citizen
  • Georgia, USA
  • 2-year non-profit community college
  • Bisexual White Female
  • Mercer University, Concord Law School, and Walden University legacy

Intended Major(s)
Management, International Business, or Economics. Anything that helps me get into Business Consulting, Strategy, Continuous development, etc.

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.4
  • Weighted HS GPA: 3.7
  • College GPA: 3.2
  • SAT Scores: 1030, 1070, 1130

Coursework

• AP: World History: 1, Environmental Sciences: 3
  • HS: Film Studies (100%)
  • Foreign: Japanese 1 and 2 (HS, B+)
  • Dual Enrollment: Macroeconomics (B), English (C), Biology (C), Algebra (F)
  • College: Retook Algebra (B), Microeconomics (B), Accounting 1 (A), Accounting 2 (C), Elementary Statistics (B), Environment of Business (B)

I’m currently retaking English and hope to retake Accounting 2.

Awards
Honors Roll (High School)
Fall 2019 Deans List (College)
Japanese Bronze Award (High School)

Extracurriculars

• Assistant at Wealth Management Firm, left to focus on school
  • American Association of University Women Volunteer
  • Coalition for Responsible Home Schooling Volunteer
  • Student Council Member
  • Writer for Japanese 3D Animation Website
  • Presently working two part-time jobs as Bookstore Cashier and Student Worker

Essays/LORs/Other

• Letter of Recommendation from President of current college

• Essay: I’ve never had to write an essay before I’d probably take the chance to go over my passion for business and explain my poor SAT scores and decreasing GPA:

I was a 4.0 (unweighted, 3.7 weighted) student in my freshman, sophomore, and senior years of HS, my schools late policy was relaxed and teachers would let us resubmit assignments up to 3 times 'til we had a grade we were happy with. I was very hard working but only a little smart, I’d often get B’s on my first try then get an A+ on my second.

I have a feeling something similar happened with SATs. I pretty much do average without someone there to tell me how I messed up the first time. With no way of seeing what I got wrong on the SAT’s I can only assume I made the same mistakes repeatedly.

My HS GPA really took a hit during junior year where I tried to do dual enrollment full time with hopes of graduating high school with an associates, underwent some traumatic experiences, developed severe depression/anxiety, and had mostly C’s with one F. It still affects me now but I’ve been overcoming it through therapy and hard work. I’ve also had to care for a chronically ill family member. Sorry if that’s TMI. I think it’s relevant though. I don’t want to be dismissed as stupid or lazy when I know I’m not.

I started to gain back a passion over this past summer when I found out about management consulting, strategy, continuous development, and other jobs that involve researching industries and helping businesses be better businesses. It’s something I’d do for free if I didn’t need money to live. I love it.

TLDR: Essay: Generally hard-working and kinda smart but mentally ill gifted burnout kid grades tanked due to fresh trauma and caring for chronically ill family members. Finds passion for life again through discovering dream career in business field.

Cost Constraints / Budget
Ideally free, but if I have to then less than $20k/yr. I have the HOPE Scholarship and Pell grant.

Schools

• Safety
    Georgia State University

• Likely
    University of Georgia

• Match
    Georgia Tech

• Reach
    Emory University
    Columbia University
    University of Chicago

1 Like

It’s water down the bridge - but it sounds like you were in need of SAT preps, per example self-study books that come with plenty of sample tests.

My first suggestion would be to add 2 extra safety and 2 likely schools, that you can afford (e.g., because they provide financial aid to cover “full need”). Is Mercer on your radar?

By what criteria did you assess Georgia Tech as a “match” - even for Georgia residents, they can’t accommodate 2/3rds of applicants?

Most of your effort should go into applications to your safety/likely schools to make sure you have options and will get acceptances. I think your reaches are unlikely, but it’s okay to pick one or two that you feel the strongest about, just so that you have covered all options.

Could you elaborate? You were on the college dean’s list in 2019 - and in 2023 you have a letter of recommendation from that(?) community college president. Which would be 5 years?

Also, how many college credits are you transferring with?

2 Likes

FYI:

Although no minimum GPA is required for admission, if a student has recently been enrolled in a college or university, it is expected that he or she will have performed very well (an A average or 3.7 - 3.8 GPA).

https://www.gs.columbia.edu/content/transfer-students

Applicants should have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all college work, and most students admitted have a GPA of 3.5 or better.
Emory’s transfer admit rate has historically been 20-25%.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the response.

I only went with DE for a single semester and saw it as a fluke due to how it compared to my normal 4.0, so I wasn’t really counting it. After graduating high school, I went roughly half-time so it was 2019-2023, 4 years and 66 credit hours.

I also worked multiple jobs and cared for my family during so I just didn’t have the working capacity for much more than that. One of my jobs was student worker at the college directly under the dean, so the president and I got to see each other fairly often and are on pretty good terms.

I’ve already been accepted to Georgia State for the upcoming Fall 2023 semester and know I’m fully covered thanks to scholarships and grants. I just really feel like I’m getting to a point where I can do much better for myself than I have previously so I wanted to see if I transfer somewhere else more prestigious for spring or fall 2024.

As for GA Tech, I read that the business school was more relaxed with a 3.4 average gpa and 38% acceptance rate for GA residents. Given my high school track record, work experience, letter of recommendation, and life circumstances I figured I’d have a 50/50 shot.

Did having to take my time with my degree really hurt my chances that badly? I thought everything else I had going on would make up for it.

I think you can look back at your life accomplishments so far, getting yourself to where you are now, overcoming so many obstacles. Your work - including as a caregiver - does count!

I wasn’t trying to imply that the number of years were a concern, I was just trying to get an accurate picture. My primary concern would be the current college GPA - it shows your successes, but to be realistic, the most selective schools already have too many applicants with higher GPAs.

I’m also glad that you have GSU “in the bank”.

Thanks for clarifying where “you’re at” and how your ambitions fit into that.

Right, so (roughly) 2/3rds of first-year applicants are not accepted - but it’s possible that the acceptance rate for transfer students is more generous, as is the case with many colleges.

1 Like

It sounds like this person could write you a nice character reference but cannot attest to you qualities as a student in their classes.

You have never written a paper of any kind in any of your college classes, or high school classes? The difference is the college essays talk about you…but it’s still writing. If you are really that lacking in writing skills…you need some work there.

Your essay should be about things that will make the college want you as part of their cohort of students. It should not be a place where you explain poor performance. That would better be addressed in the special information section found on most applications.

I’m not clear how you developed this as a passion.

These are important. Caring for a family member can be very good as something you did. It also sounds like you did therapy (are you still doing this) and hard work. If you are two years out of high school…and it sounds like you are…your high school record isn’t as relevant as your college record. What IS your college record?

When did you graduate high school? How are you retaking high school courses if you have already graduated from high school.

Did you have an IEP or 504 plan that allowed this relaxing of school policy? Most colleges and professors will not allow you to submit and resubmit until you get a grade that is better. They just won’t.

This is a good question. Also, if you are attending a community college, you should speak to the transfer advisor there. They will know schools that will accept your credits. They will have some ideas of where you might consider applying.

You certainly sound very motivated and want to succeed. I think you absolutely will. I would suggest you get LOR from community college professors who have had you as a student and can attest to your class performance in a positive way.

Find out from that community college transfer advisor if there is some place you can go for help writing your college essays.

1 Like

Your HS record and test scores aren’t going to be important in the transfer process. Your CC GPA and your Georgia State GPA will be key determinants.

You can achieve your goal of working in consulting from Georgia State. I am not sure I see anything in your experience where you would have developed a passion for consulting. It’s ok to say that’s your goal, but don’t go overboard.

With all of your credits, you have to keep in mind at most schools you have to finish the last two years/50% of the credits at that school. If you attend Georgia State in the Fall and then transfer again, whether in Spring or Fall 2024, count on at least two more years of school (and could be more depending on how credit transfer goes) at that third college.

You can try for Georgia Tech and UGA, both are probably reaches, but that shouldn’t stop you from applying. I don’t think Emory, Columbia, and Chicago are attainable with a 3.2 college GPA, but again you can try.

2 Likes

There are lots of different fields in business. OP should be open to more of them as consulting may not be the right match for his skill set.

1 Like

roycroftmom: “There are lots of different fields in business. OP should be open to more of them as consulting may not be the right match for his skill set.”

Actually I’m a woman, but anyway, What makes you say that? If you can think of something I’m more suited to I’m all ears!

I’m interested in consulting specifically because I do feel it is the right match for my skillset and it makes me genuinely happy.

thumper1: “I’m not really clear how you developed this as a passion”

My father worked through his MBA during my childhood and I often had to help him study or would look through his school notes as a kid. I didn’t really understand it but I was super excited at the prospect of starting a business of my own. I would sit and write fully-fledged business plans for fun but I never started one because well… the idea of running a business, researching industries, pouring over data, etc. was way more fascinating to me than actually running one. I would jump from industry to industry researching everything from potential competitors to the costs of labor, materials, etc. not to mention SEO, social media algorithms, etc.

I’ve tried developing some real experience in the field by giving advice to my friends who say they want to start businesses of their own but, the moment they see the actual work involved they stick their tail between their legs and make a run for it. At one point I had the opportunity to work with someone who was fairly popular online (about 300k followers on tiktok) but we got into a personal disagreement based on how he treated some of his fans and ended up having to part ways.

I feel as though I have the mindset of a consultant because every interest I’ve ever had has been incredibly creative but pursued in an analytical way. I love working through various frameworks to see the best ways a persons financial, entrepreneurial, etc. ideas can be brought to life.

thumper1: “You have never written a paper of any kind in any of your college classes, or high school classes?”

Of course I have I just figured we were explicitly talking about college essays given the context.

thumber1: “How are you retaking high school courses if you have already graduated from high school?”
I was a dual enrollment student. I’m retaking the college courses that I didn’t do well in when I was dual enrolled in high school.

Management consulting, as a field, tends to value elite academic performance sustained over years and rapid analysis of complex problems with a quantitative focus. Your creativity and perseverance will be valuable in many fields’, including marketing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.