Chance Me after a Yale REA Rejection: Cali Student Aiming for UCs and T20s + Liberal Arts Schools

Asian American
US domestic
California
Public school (around 2k students, not a feeder)
Asian woman
No hooks
Intended major: public health, data sci, cog sci

4.0/4.8 GPA
35 ACT
Rank 1

Coursework
Taken 4 APs and got all 5s. By the end of senior year, going to take 13 APs and 9 tests
** I’ve taken the most rigorous course schedule possible at my school

Awards:
CA State Seal of Civic Engagement (state awardee)
National Biomedical Research Paper Competition 3rd place
First Place winner of a card-making competition for hospitalized children (international, out of 500k+ cards)
Key Club Distinguished Officer (2x), regional level
VB All Tournament Team + MVP

Extracurriculars
Founder/President/Website Creator of an organization created to aid the mental health of homeless children. Volunteered spotlighted by local homeless shelters, (not going to say what but) donated 500+ of the thingies we make, collab with therapists. Learned how + designed a website by myself to create a system for international participation

State Seal project: hand-built food pantries and implemented them for those struggling and to reduce household food waste. I presented my project to distinguished officials and the Secretary of State, and presented at this famous/official library. Cold-called food & nutrition services for school implementation.

Key Club president + division executive assistant. Over 100+ members in club, logged 3000+ hours as president, raised $2k + for PTP (charity). Represented 1000+ members in the division and led the meetings.

UCLA (blank to not get doxed) Ambassador (merit based program). Engaged in physician round table, fundraised, made 50+ cards for the Child Life Department. Experienced real hospital day-to-day life.

School’s Girls State Delegate/ambassador. Elected onto city council, represented 30 girls, service project platform manager, designed a beach beautification plan, and I’m now a Junior Counselor alternate. This pgrm was very meaningful to me!!! i loved it

Represented my school at the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Seminar (HOBY). It was kind of like model UN imo, but basically diverse backgrounds exchanged perspectives on UN social issues, advocated, listened, and contributed/digested ideas.

NHS VP. 1 of two sophomores admitted (school’s has around 20% acceptance rate). created campus advocacy infographics + on-campus academic advising programs. over 180 hours just tutoring. managed volunteers and teacher help programs.

California Scholarship Federation-- just lots of tutoring lol

(insert program name) researcher + competitor. I studied and presented on weekly research topics like cancer, collaborated with notable physicians from Yale, USC, Brown, etc. Wrote and competed an 11-page research paper on Aplastic Anemia (3rd place nationally, in awards)

(insert a cultural program name) Spirit Coordinator + Inter Club Council Representative. Redesigned the Insta, ensured the charter, organized the fashion show with 2k+ spectators, created detailed meeting minutes.

Volleyball, played 7+ years. 1st in two national qualifiers and placed at Junior olympics twice. At school, I acted as an assistant coach to frosh and took stats + oversaw team logistics. 3x division 1 club captain and school volleyball captain

Those were my common app ones, my UC app had a lot more (like a Refinery comp and UCLA comp i did, etc etc nothing too exceptional though)

Essays/LORs/Other
Common app essay: very unique, niche. I think the writing level wasn’t great though so maybe a 7.5/10, going to rewrite and make better
LORs: 8-9/10. No idea. Got from AP Lang and AP Chem teachers. One from Vice Principal that’s probably a like 9.5/10.

Schools
before you guys hate on me, I’m only applying to places I would genuinely go to. If I don’t get accepted to these schools, I’m going to cc and transfer

Likely:
Probs just like UCI lol

Match:
UCSB, UCSD, Wellesley?

Reach:
a lot.
Yale (rea) rejected yay!
vanderbilt
northwestern
Upenn
cornell
Pomona College
Duke
Dartmouth
Stanford

1 Like

Sorry about Yale. In my era (40 yrs ago), you would have been a sure admit to probably every reach on your list, including Yale. But not worth dwelling on.

I do think that you’ll be accepted to your matches, and maybe one or two of your reaches. I’m curious why you’re not applying to more of the UCs. It seems to me that you would have a decent shot at all of them, even UCB and UCLA.

And yes, if money is at all an issue, your notion of community college with a transfer agreement to the UC of your dreams is not a bad idea at all. In fact, you could probably start in the summer, take a very heavy class load each semester, and be ready to transfer in for fall of '24. You could then take 3 years at the UC, enjoy a full college experience at a leisurely pace.

So don’t stress. You have a fantastic high school record. Yale is a long shot for anyone who isn’t a URM, donor child, recruited athlete, or legacy. Don’t think that just because Yale didn’t want you, that none of your reaches will. But I would urge you to add to your list any of the UCs that you would be willing to attend, since you’ve certainly got a shot at all of them. Sure, they won’t look at your ACT, but come on, you’re first in a class of 2K.

6 Likes

Can you get a letter from one of your EC’s? You would have to ask if another LOR would be accepted. But often LOR’s help a lot, especially if they shed light on “character.”

For kids like you I always like to ask, do you sleep? :hibiscus: :blossom:

1 Like

You sound incredible. Be proud of all you achieved…the Yale result isn’t a reflection on you. Can I ask how/why you aren’t a recruited athlete with being national level at your sport?

4 Likes

Of your reaches, Vanderbilt may be the most likely, although you may see other acceptances as well.

2 Likes

I like your attitude. Go big or go home. Most people would be crying in a corner after an EA rejection. But you have a solid plan. Going to CC and then transferring is a wonderful idea. Saves lots of money.

One last thing: why not ED2? There are some really good schools that have ED2 as an option. If you don’t need to compare financial aid offers then it may be worth considering. Vanderbilt, Pomona are on your list and have ED2. Also consider UChicago

3 Likes

oh yes! I’m getting one from my vice principal who oversaw me building the food pantries :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you so much!! I was scared people wouldn’t approve of little to no safeties… I was thinking ED II but I have a bit of a legacy at UPenn and I don’t want to commit myself yet. If I were to do ED II it would be at Vanderbilt 100%… should I do it?

1 Like

I went to Junior Olympics, but I was never super prominent there… it wasn’t the highest level at JOs. Also, pursuing volleyball isn’t really my passion so I never went to any showcases or anything like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

What exactly do you mean by “bit of legacy”? Typically at Upenn the highest weight for legacies go towards children of one of the undergraduate colleges at Penn. Then from the graduate schools.

I would only do ED2 if you are 100% sure you would attend, and if financial aid is not an issue.

1 Like

As long as you are truly ok with spending two years at a California CC your strategy works. You only listed UCSB, UCSD, and UCI…are those the only UCs you applied to?

What does a ‘bit of legacy’ mean?

1 Like

omg! I totally am applying to UCB and UCLA… I don’t know why I didn’t put the in there… my bad oops. In regards to UCD and the rest of them, I just don’t really see myself going there (location, weather, or city issues)

4 Likes

I have sibling legacy :slight_smile: Don’t know if UPenn considers it but they do ask if you have any legacy that’s not grandparents/parents/relatives

1 Like

Sibling legacy does confer a benefit, but much smaller than full undergrad legacy. I would say if Vanderbilt is your top choice then apply ED2 there. It really increases your chances a lot. The RD round at Penn in recent years has been brutal, especially for ORMs.

1 Like

Congratulations on being an exceptional applicant for the UC’s. As long as you have the CC to UC transfer as your backup, I am sure you will be fine.

You have listed 3 Majors: Public Health, Data Science and Cognitive Science. It would be helpful if you listed which majors you applied at each UC since UCLA does not consider alternate majors in their admission review and Public Health/Data Science are capped majors at UCSD vs. Cognitive Science so your chances will vary based on the majors.

Here is the UC admit table 2021 based on the Capped weighted UC GPA and not major specific:

Campus 4.20+ 3.80-4.19 3.40-3.79 3.00-3.39
Berkeley 30% 11% 2% 1%
Davis 85% 55% 23% 10%
Irvine 60% 31% 14% 1%
Los Angeles 29% 6% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 98% 96% 89%
Riverside 97% 92% 62% 23%
San Diego 72% 25% 2% 0%
Santa Barbara 73% 28% 4% 1%
Santa Cruz 91% 81% 46% 9%

I will start with UCI.
Data Science had a 7.6% admit rate for 2022 so I would put that major as a Reach. Cognitive Science was 24.3% admit rate and Public Health was 21.4% so a possible Match school.

UCSB does not offer specific admit data by major. The College of Letters and Sciences where you find Data Science and Psychological & Brain Sciences?? Had a 27% admit rate in 2022 with an average UC Fully weighted GPA of 4.40. UCSB is probably a Match school.

UCSD recommends you do not select to 2 capped majors as your 1st choice and alternate. UCSD does not offer specific admit data by major. Since 2 of the 3 majors you listed are capped and Cognitive Science is one of the top 5 most applied majors, I would put UCSD as a High Target but definitely attainable.

UCLA’s College of L&S had a 10% admit rate for 2022 and I would put this school in the Reach Category.

UCB’s admit rate by Fully weighted UC GPA and College below. Overall admit rate for the College of L&S was 12% in 2022 so another Reach school.

GPA L&S CoE CoC CNR CED
3.800-4.000 6.3% 2.7% 4.5% 11.5% 8.7%
4.001-4.199 10.6% 3.9% 8.2% 23.7% 14.7%
4.200-4.399 21.8% 8.8% 17.5% 38.9% 29.1%
4.400-4.599 34.8% 16.4% 33.3% 53.0% 39.5%
4.600-4.799 40.9% 21.4% 39.6% 52.4% 49.4%
4.800-5.000 41.5% 20.7% 36.2% 46.1% 43.0%

I am sure you will have several great schools from which to choose and best of luck.

5 Likes

My DD is at Vandy and loves it! If you are 100% sure you want to attend if admitted and are not worried about financial aid, absolutely apply ED2 - it should increase your odds.
Did you fill out the merit application? That seems to also increase odds - just from people’s stories.
Also - FYI, my dd was deferred from her ED choice - she was admitted RD to Vandy with merit in Febuary - also ended up accepted everywhere else - but chose Vandy and it’s been amazing for her. In hindsight - she is glad she is not attending her initial ED school.
So, just because you were not accepted REA - you may still get in to many of these schools - your stats and experiences are stellar - you should be proud!!

1 Like

Hi!!! Thank you for all the information :slight_smile: I actually skewed a little bit from my three majors for UCs. For UCB I did public health but for UCLA I did other majors in the college of Letters and Science since I heard they do not admit by major in that.

For UCSD and UCSB, I didn’t want to do two that were capped so I went with applied mathematics science.

Cog sci was for Yale and some other privates
Thank you again!!!

2 Likes

Oh! I wasn’t aware of the merit app! I’ll take a look into it! Thanks :slight_smile: and I’m super happy for you guys, sounds like the process ended up paying off!!!

1 Like

Why are you not applying to UNC or JHU that have the best public health programs in the country?

1 Like

Hi! I just wanted to say that I am in a very similar position as you right now.

• State: CA
  • Private religious school
  • White Female
  • No legacy or athletic recruit status

Major: Chemistry or Molecular biochemistry/biophysics

*4.4 GPA
*Class Rank: n/a (but in top 5%)
*SAT Scores: 1550

• Took toughest possible curriculum at my school; 10 APs, 6 Honors, 2 Independent Studies
  • Received all 5s on the 5 AP tests I have taken so far

Awards (copied from common app)

• California State Academic Decathlon Gold Science Award (2nd out of 756 participants) (11)
  • Spectrum News Science Trivia Challenge Selected Contestant and Champion, awarded $500
  • National Merit Scholarship Letter of Commendation (top 2% of test takers)
  • Jack Howe Invitational Original Oratory Semifinalist, 2nd place at Forensics University Invitational, 1st place at Beverly Hills LAX Tournament
  • Regal Award (6x): given to 1 student per class to commend efforts and achievements
  • Applied and selected as Orthopedic Research Intern for Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles (CHLA) (term begins in February)
  • And more common honors like NHS and CSF (California Scholarship Federation)

Extracurriculars:

• Paid Research Intern & Assistant at Electroacupuncture Office; worked with Stanford’s Hagey Pediatric Laboratory to study neuronal STEM cell growth and T-cell regeneration; invited to UC Davis conference to familiarize graduate students with KWD 808 electroacupuncture machine. (10-12)
  • Co-founder, president, and speech coordinator of school Speech and Debate Team: interviewed media representative Anna Sitar for audience of 350, crafted entirety of speech curriculum (our team does not have a coach), established internship opportunity with nearby middle school. Our speech team has won bids to the Tournament of Champions.
  • Science Coordinator Academic Decathlon: crafted presentations on marine biology, chemistry, and astrophysics; coached strategy and modeled speech structure; 3x team high score (all possible years), 11x regional medalist
  • Founder/Educational Coordinator of Bridz: initiative designed to promote healthcare equity by writing biweekly articles in multiple languages and devising info sessions w/ medical professionals in underprivileged areas (to expose curious students to the medical field)
  • Associate Student Body President (12) (after participating on council all four years): delivered 8 min address to 350 (2x); coordinated class advisories; initiated scientific “Fact 4 Week” and pep rally system; designed weekly meeting agendas; managed budget
  • Red Cross Blood Donor Ambassador: Aided donors w/ check-in, classified patient records, studied blood types to expedite patient care (received Modelette Award)
  • Participated in Yale Young Global Scholars last year, Innovations in Science and Tech track
  • Developed local tutor STEM business with an emphasis on goal-setting exercises
  • School Ambassador program: Interacted w/ prospective students and parents; led “STEM Night” admissions events (70+ attendees); interviewed applicants; tracked marketing data
  • Played D1/D2 Volleyball all four years, starting libero position and received MVP '21

I was outright rejected, and though Yale was my dream, I’m coming to terms with it. Don’t let the decision diminish your successes – from what you have listed, you are an incredibly qualified applicant, and will get into great schools in the coming months. Thank you for sharing your story and best of luck in the process!!

2 Likes