Chance Me As a CS Transfer Student!

Demographics
State/Location of residency: California
College: California Community College
Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Male / Latino
Other special factors: First generation college student, low-income, athlete (but not at school)

Intended Major(s)
Computer Science (UCLA)
Computer Science and Engineering (UCLA)
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (UC Berkeley)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
College GPA: 3.85

Coursework
Took 10 AP Classes in High School - Passed 6
Completed all required coursework for transferring.
Changed major during college, so I also have lots of biology coursework which I performed well in.

Awards
Dean’s List for almost every semester.

Extracurriculars
Software Development Internship at Amazon
Coaching wrestling
Coaching boxing
Have ran a local charity for past few years
Producing indie documentaries (not sure how much this will matter?)

Essays/LORs/Other
My essays will be strong - consider them 5/5.
Have not prepared for Letters of Rec yet, but I think I can rate them as a 2-3/5

Cost Constraints / Budget
None.

Schools
UCLA
UC Berkeley

Transfers by major | University of California can give you an idea of the GPA ranges (25th-75th percentile) and admit rates for those admitted and enrolled in each major at each UC.

School Major Admit GPA range Admit rate
UCB EECS 3.91-4.00 10%
UCB L&S CS 3.81-4.00 4%
UCLA Computer Engineering 3.92-4.00 6%
UCLA Computer Science 3.96-4.00 2%
UCLA Computer Science & Engineering 4.00-4.00 8%

Although this data is from 2021 (updated data from 2022 should be available in Feb), this will give you an idea of where you stand. Hopefully you have applied to other schools besides these 2 UC’s which are both highly competitive admits??

@ucbalumnus beat me to it but here is the link

I have not applied yet - I will be applying this coming year. If all goes well, my GPA will be a 3.9 and not a 3.85 at the time of applying.

I am honestly not interested in attending the other UCs. I figured that my Amazon internship, which is generally only given to Juniors and Seniors, alongside being low-income and URM would make me a competitive applicant?

I’m honestly not sure. I know the odds of being accepted are slim, but I have deferred my graduation so I can attend either of these two schools. More specifically, I really want to attend UCLA and am ready to do whatever you think I need to be a stronger applicant.

And if you do not get accepted to either? Everyone needs a backup plan….

UC admissions are need blind and race/ethnicity are not considered.

2 Likes

I am currently enrolled at a CSU. At the time of applying, I will technically be a full-time CCC student because of how many units I have accumulated at them. This should give me the CCC privilege at the UCs. If I do not get in to either program, I will probably continue my coursework at the CSU.

1 Like

I do understand where you are coming from though. UCLA practically only admits 50 CS students as transfers annually. Have you personally seen anyone who has successfully transferred from a CCC to UCLA for CS?

For last year, I saw 1 CS major admitted that posted on College confidential and 2 others that posted on Reddit. Unfortunately many students do not list their stats or will post on social media.

Obviously you are doing well at your CSU and CS is a highly marketable degree regardless of which school you attend, so I do understand it cannot hurt to Reach for the stars. I believe you will be successful wherever you end up.

My personal experience is based upon my own son’s CS career. Graduated as a CS major from SDSU and had 2 internships while a student. One with the Department of Justice and another with a Cybersecurity firm. Had no problem finding a job as a recent graduate. Worked for a Medical information firm doing computer/cybersecurity compliance. Eventually left for a well known Cybersecurity firm that was recently bought out by Google so officially he is now a Googler.

My point is that you do not need UCLA or UCB to be successful. Just utilize/get involved in your current college to have that “college experience”.

I am very happy to hear about your son’s success in CS! Two internships is very accomplished, especially since most students struggle to get even a single internship. Truly happy for him (:

If I am being honest, I am not transferring because of school prestige. With my current internship lined up, I think job recruitment will be a lot easier and school name will matter a lot less. I am hoping to be admitted because of lifestyle.

The CSU schools are all commuters and I feel that I have been robbed of a college experience. That is why I am applying to the UCs. I am not really willing to move to any place other than Los Angeles and San Francisco / Berkeley, which is why I picked these two schools. That being said, the prestige that comes with these schools is definitely a plus and I would really hope to get in.

Best of luck and hope it all works out for you.

Our eldest daughter, from SoCal, intended to go to med school. She applied to SUNY Buffalo because they had a program for grads which linked her for admissions for a few med schools, given a few requirements by the university. She was accepted. She changed majors after taking some biomed engineering courses and majored in EECS.

She came back to California, and because she could do both EE and CS she was well recruited and worked for several very large companies. She has been offered jobs at Google and Amazon, but prefers to work “normal” work hours and not 90-hour work weeks. She has worked for several large corporations and performed well at each company as indicated by her rise in ranks as a manager, interviewer and trainer. She has never lacked for a job nor a promotion. She attended SUNY Buffalo, an underrated university in upstate New York, with a great engineering program.

You say you’ve been robbed of the college experience? I think you’ve done well and you’ve attended college, so I don’t think you’ve missed anything. A few parties? The dorms? Most people move out of the dorms at or before junior year. Junior and Senior year in Engineering are difficult.

Our middle daughter did Med school in San Francisco. Her studio rent was $5K per month. Berkeley, San Francisco and LA rents are insane. You can afford those rents? Transfers don’t get the best financial aid.

Our youngest is a Comp Sci Engineer. No problems in finding a job-he had several competitive offers. All he had to do was flash that degree. Yes, he did attend Caltech and ASU, but his job only cared about his degree and work status for security clearances.

My husband (Stanford Alum) is a EE system technical interviewer for his world-wide company. He prefers to hire CSU grads because he likes their practical approaches to engineering. He’s interviewed from all of the top 10 schools, UC’s/CSU’s as well as small no name schools from all over the country. His company pays extremely well. He doesn’t care where they went to school as long as they can answer his questions. He does ask about projects and internships and what they did on their projects- and to explain how the project was implemented using engineering concepts.

He can snort out fluff and his reviews carry a lot of weight in whether or not someone is hired. He is very fair, but doesn’t like it when candidates try to tiptoe around a direct question. He says that his “customers/clients/government” tend to ask direct questions and new hires need to be honest and straightforward with their responses. FWIW: His area Vice President is a CSU grad.

This appears to be a trend and is, currently, what our eldest is requiring of new trainees. She’s been asked to interview tentative new hires. She is also fair and gives the benefit of the doubt but is a little like her Mom, in that, she doesn’t tolerate fluff.

Good luck, but you need your back-up plan.

I hope you’re able to get into either school. You are aware that it’s tough.

Just to say that I attended CSULB back in the day. I was a commuter. I still had a good time during those years, primarily through work friends.
If a transfer doesn’t happen for you, find a part item job in a fun place and get to know your coworkers. Best of luck, you sound like you will do well wherever you go!

1 Like

I definitely agree with you about how prestige does not matter much in Computer Science. I’ve found that classes are much smaller in CSUs (50-100 people) than they are in UCs. The quality of education is likely the same. I’m not really worried about job prospects - honestly, having my Amazon internship early on sets me up very well for the next two summers. Reviewing on LinkedIn, I found that most people from UCs that have my same internship tend to be seniors, so the education definitely speaks for itself. I also do have my backup plan as I will technically still be enrolled at a CSU when I receive the decision from the UCs and can continue classes where I left off if necessary.

It’s more about the CSUs being commuter schools and me not really enjoying my time at one. I agree with you: the years at college are pretty short-lived and I will likely be drowning in work because of a rigorous engineering program, but I believe that I would be making more of my time at a UC than I would be at a CSU. Not because of academics, but because of the student life.

Thank you for the advice (:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.