Chance Me: Asian Male going into Data Science, Elite Extracurriculars but Mediocre Grades [CA resident, 3.75 GPA, 4.12 UC GPA, 1470 SAT]

Demographics

• US domestic
  • State/Location of residency: California
  • Type of high school: Highly competitive medium size public high school
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Asian Male
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.): None

Intended Major(s) Data Science/ Computer Science

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.75
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.3/5
  • Class Rank: School doesn’t do class rank
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1470 - 730 English and 740 Math

Coursework

• 10th Coursework
    • 2 honor classes (math and science) and rest regular
  • 11th Coursework
    • AP Calc BC (5), AP Lang (5), AP Chem (4), AP Comp Sci A (5), Econ, US. History
  • 12th Coursework
    • AP Stats, AP Lit, AP Gov, AP Physics C Mech, Econ, Accounting 1
  • College Courses from Concurrent Enrollment
    • 6 computer science courses and 1 psychology course (7 total)

School doesn’t really offer any AP courses until junior year, so I took maximum I could at each year

Awards

• DECA (Business Competition) first place and top 10 in two events at internationals 2 years in a row (out of 1500+ people)
    • Several awards at state and district level too (out of hundreds)
  • US National Amateur Chess Championships 2nd place
  • California State Chess Championships top 10
  • Presidential Gold Volunteer Service Award (2 Golds and 1 Bronze)
  • International business competition quarterfinalist
  • AP Scholar with Honors

Extracurriculars

• Research with Cambridge professor and MIT PhD student
    • Learned and researched with them over summer for NLP and then solo-authored a research paper; presented at IEEE conference and publishing into a top 50 NLP journal
  • Founder of Tutoring (Regular and CS) Business
    • 5 figure annual revenue, 30+ clients, 30+ employees/tutors and great community reach
    • Also was a solo-tutor previous to this for a year working every week for 3-4 hours
  • Intern at Industry Leading AI Chip Startup
    • Working directly with VP of Software on machine learning aspects of products - direct impact towards startup’s customers
  • President of school DECA Club
    • Has over 130 members and a team of 20 people within leadership; also built app for club for everyone to use
  • CFO of Robotics/CS Teaching Non Profit
    • Managing a 5 figure budget and all money mechanisms of org; partnering with the community subsidiaries of large orgs to fund 200+ volunteers and 1300+ students.
  • Software Developer at Big US Non Profit
    • Working in backend with actual adults to automate operations of a six figure donations database from 500 donors; direct impact and solo-developed an entire donor submission mechanism
  • VP of CS Club
    • Leadership role for school CS interest club that has 130+ members
  • Professional/Industry Nvidia AI Certification
    • Worked with Nvidia hardware, developed AI computer vision project
  • Small Research Project with Stanford undergrads
    • During covid, worked on AI algorithms that detected covid variants with genome sequencing
  • Summer Intern at a Silicon Valley Startup Accelerator
    • Learned from VCs about startup creation process and pitched idea of startup to investors

Letters of Recommendation

• AP Lang Teacher (9/10)
    • Got great grades in both semesters and showed achievable growth which she noticed. Also participated in every class and she has heard good stuff about me from my previous literature teachers.
  • AP Chem Teacher (8/10)
    • Had him for Chem Honors as well so long standing relationship. It was a fun dynamic and he knew me in his classes so I would say its good.
  • School Counselor (9/10)
    • Advisor for a club that I have leadership role in, so overall good impression.
  • Cambridge Professor (9/10)
    • Great relationship and worked hard with him, good recommendation.

Cost Constraints / Budget
No budget, full pay

Schools
ED:

• UPenn/Cornell (Haven’t decided)

EA:

• UIUC, UMaryland, UWisconsin-Madison, Purdue, GTech, Northeastern, UMichigan, USC,

RD:

• All UC’s, NYU, UT Austin, BostonU, UWash, SCU, Texas A&M, Minnesota Twin Cities, Some CSUs,

For the top schools, you will need to have a cohesive story and a very very good explanation of the incongruency of grades/ECs. Publishing at IEEE and on NLP doesn’t square well with a 3.7 GPA. Similarly, intern at AI chip startup doesn’t sync with the verifiable parts of the profile. I recommend picking a few defensible and verifiable ECs that the student is passionate about, and has been involved for a long period of time.

Your list is heavy on reaches, and you need to pick a couple of good safeties. What is your local CSU?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say 3.75 is mediocre unless your school grade inflates.

You say it’s highly competitive.

Any idea of rank ? They don’t rank but do you know about where you are? Top 10%. Top 25% etc.

Full pay won’t matter at these other than you can afford. They are all need blind I believe.

I’d imagine a UMN is likely, some CSUs and likely Merced.

I can’t say more without knowing more - you need the UC GPAs etc and they won’t look at your test score nor will csu.

But your list does seem heavy and full of unlikelies…

A 3.75 unweighted GPA is excellent. Don’t denigrate it; it is definitely not mediocre.

If a school offers Early Action, apply EA, unless it’s a Restrica EA (REA).

In terms of your chances, I suspect that Santa Clara, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Texas A&M would be likelies, by which I mean I think your chances of admittance are greater than 60% (but not a near-lock/sure-thing). UC-Merced might be a sure thing, depending on the UC GPAs. Most everything else (outside of California public higher ed to which I’ll defer to others) I would say is going to be a low probability of acceptance, though not impossible.

2 Likes

Top 25%, but school has high acceptance rate to most of my targets and safetys even for my stats (45% and higher), with around 40-50% of applicants being in CS

1 Like

So you sort of know - but not sure which are your targets as you laid them out by admission category.

You can apply to UMN early and get an answer early - so do it right away.

Penn and Cornell are very different…so I’d think you’d have a preference for one vs. the other.

Have you been to either?

SJSU is local CSU. Can you explain what you mean by “doesn’t square well” or how my internship isn’t “verifiable” for the other parts of the profile. Just trying to understand

Visited Penn and saw a lot about their CS program and NLP research resources.

Targets include schools like UIUC, Purdue, UCSC, UCSB, UCI, UC Davis and schools like that.

1 Like

Penn is urban. Cornell isn’t. 180 degrees opposite but beautiful.

Illinois is a high high reach and not knowing about your school but I’d guess Purdue is a reach.

You need to put your UC GPA etc and others can evaluate you for them.

I can’t speak to the UC schools but UIUC and Purdue are reaches for CS.

For SJSU, you can assess your chances by calculating your impaction score. See below for the calculation methodology, typically 800 * (10-11 UC GPA).

First calculate the UC GPA using Roger Hub calculator. And then calcukate your impaction score using the formula above and add 200 since you are local, and compare that against the CS and Data Science thresholds (3440 and 2080 last year)
https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

With respect to incongruency, a solo publication about NLP on the back of a summer project feels very sketchy. Not questioning the authenticity of your ECs, but it feels like a red flag to me.

Here are some CSU and UC CS admit rates for 2022. UCSB and UCI are not target schools but more in the Reach Category. If applying to Data Science, then I would put UCSB as a possible target but not UCI based on the admit rates below.

You need to calculate your UC and CSU GPA’s. Just be aware that some of the CSU’s may not consider your DE courses in the GPA calculation (SJSU in the past has only used HS CSU GPA) for the impaction index. Being local is an advantage but you need to calculate your impaction index since SJSU CS is the most competitive major for admission.

2022 CS admit rates if available

Campus CS
UC Berkeley 2.9%-L&S EECS-4.5%
UC Davis No data but <20%
UC Irvine 5.8%
UCLA 3.8%
UC Merced 85%
UC Riverside 36%
UC San Diego No data but <10%
UC Santa Barbara No data Historically 5-6%
UC Santa Cruz 60%
Cal Poly SLO 9%
Cal State Long Beach 54%
San Diego State 40%
San Jose State 31%

Data Science admit rates if available

Campus Data Science
UC Berkeley 8.25%
UC Davis No Data but approximately <20% Capped Major
UC Irvine 7.6%
UCLA 10% Does not admit by major into College of L&S
UC Merced Major not available
UC Riverside 67%
UC San Diego No data but approximately <10% Capped major
UC Santa Barbara 27% admit rate for College of L&S which does not admit by major
UC Santa Cruz Major not available

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Best of luck and I am sure you will have a couple of CSU’s and UC’s from which to choose.

2 Likes

As are most of the other OOS publics on OP’s list, except maybe TAMU and Minnesota.

@chris103210, you need to add some true target/match schools.

1 Like

UC GPA: 4.12 Capped

School admits 73% of people to Purdue, 54% to UIUC and 43% to UCSB, with half of these people being CS majors

I put my UC gpa on the reply to my original post. All my work (event apart from research) is online and verifiable, published in IEEE Xplore and conference websites too. Didn’t end up paying much focus to my schoolwork which is why my GPA may not match up to my extracurriculars.

A 45%, 50%, 60% or even 70% chance of acceptance does not a safety make. A 45% chance still means that odds are, you will not receive an admit. If your school has such a strong record of getting students into these schools, then your guidance counselor should be able to help provide some insight in terms of the likelihood of your chances at these schools.

For all of your illustrious ECs, you will want to make sure that there is lots of verifiable information that is also corroborated by your letters of recommendation.

3 Likes

There is no way your school had a 54% admit rate for UIUC CS. Its in the low single digits for OOS so your assumption with half being CS majors is probably incorrect. Believe me, UIUC and Purdue are hard admits for CS.

5 Likes

These schools are definitely hard admits to CS and in high target/reach domain, especially for me. School has 54% admit rate to UIUC CS and out of all the applicants in senior year class, around 40-50% are applying CS/DS majors, so I am carrying that statistic as an assumption that at least 30-40% of people getting into UIUC or Purdue are CS/DS centric.

Also, for UIUC, will be applying into DS + X or CS + X programs which have 25% < admit rates. Still a reach though.

I compared my academic statistics through a college dashboard that our school uses and my profile was in the area where there are around half rejects and half accepts, so I put it as high target.

Published all my EC stats on the internet through the organization I am in, with referrals to any coordinators that were within the EC too. Verifiability at my GPA range is a key so I have made sure to make everything transparent.

Guidance counselor recommended those schools as targets asper her experience with my class.

Getting this data directly through school as they publish statistics after every admission round, since they have direct access to this data.