Chance me at UCs?

Hey guys! I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could chance me at the 5 UCs listed below. I’ve already received offers of admission from UC Merced and UC Riverside. As for the scholarship offered, I have no idea where to check for that :x.

List of UCs: UC Davis, UC San Diego, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz

Major: Environmental Science

Ethnicity: Asian Male

GPA: Around 3.3 unweighted and weighted

SAT/ACT: 1880 SAT, no ACT

Extracurriculars/Awards: President’s Service Award-Gold , Certificate of Qualification for Decoupage, Congress Certificate of Recog., Distinguished Scholar Award. Over 600 hours of community service.

AP Exams: (3) AP Lang and Composition, (Not Yet) AP Lit and Comp, (Not Yet) AP Environmental Science, (Not Yet) AP Statistics.

Personal Statements: I think my personal statements were pretty outstanding… with some style in syntax and diction.

Questions: I have actually earned over 600 hours of community service, but I don’t have that many recorded. When I submit my final transcript and the colleges see that my hours on the transcript don’t match up, will they deny me admission? Or would showing them proof of awards I earned for volunteering service be sufficient evidence to disregard the hours displayed on my transcript?

Is your GPA on a 4 scale? Regarding the fact that your unweighted is 3.3, your weighted is extremely low.

You have gotten acceptances into the two mostly likely UC’s on your list so congratulations.

UCSC: High Match (50/50)
UCI: Low Reach
UCD: Low Reach- Reach
UCSD: Reach

If you took one AP class, then you do get extra honors points for that class and your UC GPA should be slightly higher than your UW of 3.3, but still your GPA is low for the rest of the schools on your list.

@SchoolFreakLol yes my school’s GPA is on a 4.0 scale.

@Gumbymom Thanks for all your info! But how about UCSB?

UCSB: Low Reach-Reach

Freshman admits for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79
UCB: 2%
UCLA: 3%
UCSD: 6%
UCD: 11%
UCSB: 13%
UCI: 16%
UCSC: 47%
UCR: 64%
UCM: 80%

UC’s are very GPA focused plus your test scores are on the lower side for the Mid-tier UC’s

Does it make me chance of being admitted higher since my major is not one of the competitive majors out there?

Yes, having a less competitive major may help with schools that admit by major but not for the schools that admit into the University first then into the major.
You have gotten into 2 good schools so far, just hope for the best.

Your GPA is a major issue unless you have a compelling reason for your low grades. With an average UC GPA of 4.0+ at 6 of the 9 campuses, your GPA is below the 25th percentile at all the UC’s except UC Merced.

Could you tell me what UCs accept by major and what UCs don’t?

Actually as an Environmental Science major, none of the schools admit by major.

UC Davis admits directly into the College of Agriculture and Environmental Science but UCD is known for the EVS program so it can be competitive.

For UCSB, Environmental Science is in the College of L&S so major is not considered but still need to meet the school threshold for GPA/test scores.

For UCI/UCSD/UCSC, they admit into the University first and then into the major. So it is possible to be accepted to the University, not into your first choice or alternate major.

For UCSC, you do not need to declare a major until your Sophomore year.

Good luck and let me know how your decisions end up.

If I don’t hear from colleges around the time their admissions are supposed to be out, can I safely assume that I get rejected?

Other than UCI, all the other UC’s release their admission decisions all on the same day. UCD/UCSD probably tomorrow, UCI is rolling throughout March, UCSC is March 15 and I believe UCSB is March 21

I got rejected from UCD and UCSD… Two of the schools that I wanted to attend the most. Being rejected from those schools feels really bad :(. I’m considering sending in an appeal, do you know how often appeals actually work? And what I should include in it?

For an appeal to work, you need new and compelling information.
Below is UCD’s and UCSD’s information in regards to appeal your decision.

For UCD:
May I appeal my denial of admission?
Appeals are rarely granted, and consideration is based on new and compelling information, extenuating circumstances and your overall academic record. As part of your written appeal, you must include a statement describing your special circumstances, as well as any additional documents such as unofficial academic records and letters of recommendation—interviews are not granted.

For UCSD:
Can I appeal the decision?
A: Note: Successful appeals are very rare. Your application has already been reviewed thoroughly by at least two readers.
To provide new and compelling academic information that was not in your original application, follow the link to submit your appeal online. If you base your appeal on an emergency, family or medical-related situation, you will need to provide documentation of your circumstances. However, please do not attach any documentation to your appeal at this time. If we need to review additional material, we will ask for it.

If I earned a 3.5/4.0 GPA for my 1st semester of senior year, can I submit that to UCD too? I took 3 AP classes, earned 2 A’s and 1 C

Yes, you can submit your 1st semester Senior grades, but other your decent grades what else to you have to offer that is new and compelling. 2 A’s and 1 C is not compelling, sorry.

If I get a letter of recommendation from someone who is the President of a school district and a project manager at Boeing, will that increase the chances of my appeal working?

If LOR’s are accepted, you can include them with your appeal. It may or may not help, since it is up to admissions to make that determination.

But does who the letter of recommendation come from increase chances?

LOR’s would have to substantiate any claims are making for the basis of your appeal. What will the President of the school board and the project manager say about you? What are you basing your appeal on?