Chance Me - Class of 2024 (Computer Engineering)

I’m from Eastern Virginia (Norfolk, Chesapeake area)
Race: White

SAT: 1280 (Superscore)
MATH: 600
Reading: 680
GPA: 3.6680 (Weird number but its what I got, additional information below)
Class Rank: 136 / 437 (IB School)

Extracurriculars:

• Acted as an Ambassador for my technical academy at open houses and local academy nights

-Acted as a Mentor during a weeklong Cyber Summer Camp meant to introduce kids to the field of IT

Course/Additional Information: I only taken 1-2 honor classes. No APs. I have taken multiple dual enrollment classes at my local CC for Networking and Cyber Security. This ties in directly with my intended major and specialization (Computer Engineering: Networking and Cybersecurity). I have taken two classes on networking and am currently enrolled in a DE class on cybersecurity. I have already secured two industry certifications for networking (CCENT/CCNA). Additionally, I am currently enrolled in DE English at said CC. I also planning on taking DE Calc next semester potentially.

I know it looks grim for me when I compare to other people.

You say your an IB school but then say no AP’s (what about IB classes)?

600 math on SAT is not helping and being fairly low in class rank not good for you either. Is that a weighted or unweighted 3.67.

It all does seem a little low to be going into engineering. Maybe try the BIT program in Pamplin (somewhat better shot).

@cbl1 The school I am going to hosts all IB students in my area. However, it also hosts the normal students zoned for that area which unfortunately for me includes myself. Wasn’t sure of how IB works in other areas hence my mention of IB School. This is my unweighted GPA. For some weird reason, I will never understand the school system I live in does not give Dual Enrollment classes weights. If my college classes were to be weighted as such I would have a 4.01. However, this is my reality im currently in a battle with my counselor over this. I have looked into the BIT Program and while yes it covers the same general area I want to be involved in the Networking and Cybersecurity specialization of Computer Engineering fits with my prior classes and certifications much more closely. If I don’t get in this year I plan to do Community College and apply next year. I will have 11 college credits by the end of this regular school year. Sorry about the paragraph response.

good luck - are you applying early decision?

@cbl1 Yes I will be apply early decision.

@cbl1 I turned in the application early today. However, I never got an email confirmation other than the one by Coalition saying my application was submitted. I never got any information with regards to a guest account in my email. Also, it doesn’t look like I will be able to get my GPA to be weighted with the college classes because of the policies of my local school board.

That is fine the school will send profile info out and they take that into account.

You should get guest access info 24-48 hours after submission from VT.

I know you didn’t ask for other school options, but you may want to look into the cyber security program at George Mason as another option.

@vamominvabeach Thank you for the suggestion. I am currently looking for other schools to apply for as back ups. However, I have signed the early decision agreement part of the application for VA Tech.

You can (and should) still apply to other schools, just not Early Decision. You can even do EA to other schools as long as it is non binding.

Yes, you should absolutely apply to other schools. Should you be accepted Early decision at VT, you would then withdraw your other applications. If for some reason you are deferred or rejected, you’ll want those other applications in place.