Chance Me - College of Engineering

I’m a Hispanic female hoping to get into the TAMU Engineering Program. Chance me, please!

GPA: 102.5 Weighted (My school doesn’t have a 4 point GPA)
SAT: 1380, 640M, 740EBRW
Maths/Physics:
-Algebra I
-Pre-AP Geometry
-Pre-AP Algebra II
-Pre-AP Pre-Calc
-AP Stat
-BC Calc (Currently taking)
-AP Physics I (Currently taking, my school didn’t offer it my junior year)
EC’s:
-3 years color guard, co-captain Junior year before switching to band Senior year
-2 years UIL (journalism)
I’ve also taken all the Engineering classes offered at my school (Intro to Engineering and Robotics).

bump :slight_smile:

Try to improve your SAT and also take ACT. Some people do better on ACT.

@anxious_student Hard to say. ll anyone can do is give you their best guess. No one sees your whole app file.

Your math and physics readiness, combined with your math score on SAT, do not show a strong readiness for engineering but being auto admit will help, though does not guarantee you will get in. That you are taking physics and BC Sr year may help. Much of it also depends on how competive your app is compared to every other applicant, as there are only so many seats to be had in CStat.

Last year, there were academic admits with your scores that got in but their math was in the 700’s. 640 is low for engineering. There is more that goes into the decision, so, it is impossible to say for full admit to college station. If you were not offered full admit to College station, I do think you would at least be offered ENGR at Galveston (also considered full admit).

@Thelma2 Is the essay portion of the SAT required? I can’t seem to find an explicit answer anywhere and I’d like to know before I sign up to retake it

@anxious_stdnt

I’m pretty sure you don’t (however, you should take the essay anyway).

My SAT advisor always said that the SAT version that includes the essay never includes experimental questions.

@anxious_student TAMU recommends you take the SAT with essay.

@anxious_stdnt Sorry I tagged the wrong person in the response above.
I am currently making a spreadsheet of last year’s review and auto/academic admit engineering admits of the posters who listed stats and responded back with admissions decisions. It is slow work, because on some posts, I have to go to their posting history to fill in the blanks left off on some posts.

So far, I am up to posts dated January 8, 2017 (Posts began Aug. 1). So far, there are 40 auto/academic admit screen names and a few are auto admits with the following SAT scores and their auto admit %:(1) top 2% 1360, top (1) 5%: 1370, Top 5%: (2) 1380, (1) Top 8%: 1300.

They did not provide their sub scores, so we cannot compare math scores. The rest had 1410 SAT and above. Like I said, I have just begun the posts after the new year, so I will update you if I come across more auto admits with similar SAT scores that were accepted into engineering.

This is not scientific in any way. It just helps to know going forward. Hope that helps. Please do keep us posted to your decision.

Sounds similar to what I had, my SAT was a 1360 though. I was accepted into the engineering program and even offered to do honors. You should be fine

My son applied Oct 1 and sent his transcript via AIS Oct 5 but transcript still hasnt updated but says has been recieved. Hes applying to the engineering school, im afraid it wont be processed before the deadline of Oct 15 or does it matter since it shows recieved but not processed yet? He is in the top 4.5% of his class, Hispanic Merit Scholar, SAT 1290 with a math score of 660 all AP, IB and dual credit classes. NHS, in Band and Captain of his swim team. Do you think he has a good chance of getting admitted?

@Cmarquez

The transcript should be updated tomorrow. It takes around 2-3 business days for the transcript to be processed.

Since you uploaded it right before the weekend, it will probably process early this week.

Hispanic Merit Scholar and 4.5% means he will obviously get into the university, but a 1290 SAT with 660 Math is cutting it very close.

I think they will take him for engineering (mainly because of the merit scholar). However, you need to make sure that your son is ready of engineering. For most engineering students, getting admitted isn’t the hard part, staying in engineering is the hard part. A 660 math shows that math may not be a strong skill your son possesses. What are the scores that he has received in his AP/Dual Cred Math courses? Has he completed/currently enrolled in Calculus AB/BC?

@RMNiMiTz He completed IB Pre Cal last year and is taking AP Calculus this year with strong As and is taking AP Physics this year as well. I think if he would have taken the SAT again and actually studied he might have scored higher.

@Cmarquez national hispanic merit will be the factor that pushes him over into the accept category. Here’s the link for national scholars https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/national-scholars

@AGmomx2 I hope so and I did recieve that email regarding National Scholars

@Thelma2 As youve seen on my other posts, I have gotten in, however I do feel the need to clarify on this as well for future applicants