Chance me Community College transfer going Computer Science or Management Information Systems [TX, 4.0]

Demographics

• US resident
  • Texas
  • Public high school

**Computer Science or Management Information Systems major
**College GPA : 4.0

Coursework
*Math courses up until Calc 2.
2 Biology
1 General Chem
2 History classes
2 Government Classes
Other extra social and communication studies done to the degree of an associate arts

Awards
Student Academic Recognition Award
President’s List
Financial endowment

Extracurriculars
*Treasurer for 2 clubs
*Dance team manager
*PTK officer
*68+ hours volunteer work

Essays/LORs/Other
*Essay tailored to highlight the story of my love of computers, and my family.
Letter of recommendation from my math professor
Another letter of recommendation from PTK leader.

Schools

• A&M College Station (certain admission and affordability)
  • UT Tyler (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
  • UT Dallas
  • UT Austin

How likely am I to get into UT Austin if I apply for the McCombs business school?

Do you want to major in CS or MIS ?

I would pursue your desired major ahead of the school.

I can’t chance you but good luck.

Getting in is only half the battle. If you’re applying at UT or A&M, it’s best to apply to the programs after taking the prerequisites. The CS/MIS schools schools are ridiculously competitive. This way you know in advance before spending time and $$ and find out later you’re rejected. It happens a lot, especially at McCombs Business School.

Yes, you have a good shot, but going in with the intention of being an outside transfer getting in, is a bit of a gamble at UT. A&M tends to be more flexible, but not by much.

UT-Dallas is actually a solid alternative to the two flagship schools. It’s a top school, and it’s right in the middle of tech hub Dallas with abundant internships and job prospects.

Here’s another option you might want to consider. UTSA’s MIS program is top ranked nationally. They’re actually one of the original pioneers of IT-Security as a degree program, which actually turned San Antonio into the biggest IT security hub next to the Pentagon. And the program is not ridiculously competitive like other schools. They’ve been expanding instead of restricting enrollment.

Thank you for this insight! I will be sure to consider it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.